Niel's Decision

To The Top!

Minah walked to class with L.Joe like any other day. “I brought you a muffin” L.Joe held up a blueberry muffin.

“Thank you” Minah took the muffin into her hands.

Minah suddenly stopped walking “What’s that?” She pointed to the poster on the wall.

“It’s this dumb fundraising talent show the music kids put on every year”

“That doesn’t sound dumb to me” Minah protested.

L.Joe shrugged “C’mon were late for class”

 

History class was again a bore so Minah moved her gaze out the window. The lacrosse kids were playing on one side of the field while the marching band was practicing on the other. Then the thought hit her, what if she could get the guys to perform in the show.

 

“No way Minah” Niel protested. “Were athletes not ballerinas”

“Nobody ever said anything about ballet” Minah shook L.Joe’s arm “C’mon it would be fun”

L.Joe looked her in the eyes, he couldn’t say no.

“Were not musicians Minah” Changjo added.

Chunji dropped his stuff and sat down. “What’s all the commotion about?”

“Minah wants us to be in the talent show” Niel was pacing back and forth.

“That’s a great idea” Chunji insisted “Athletes in the talent show might finally end this stupid feud.”

Niel stopped pacing and sat down. He looked Minah in the eyes “No”

“Oh c’mon Niel” Minah whined.

L.Joe spoke up “I’ll do it”

Minah widened her eyes “Really!”

L.joe nodded and she gave him a huge hug.

Changjo sighed “I’ll do it too.”

Minah squealed and gave Changjo a hug too.

“I want a hug too! I’ll do your talent show too Minah” Ricky said.

“Well I’m still not going to do it.” Niel got up and left.

Minah sighed. “I thought he’d want to do it”

Chunji got up “Don’t worry Minah I’ll convince him.”

After Chunji left Minah asked “How is he going to convince him?”

Ricky spoke up “Ooh can I tell the story?”

Minah smiled “What story?”

Changjo nodded “Go for it”

Ricky cleared his throat “Back in freshman year Chunji and Niel were best friends and they were both accepted with music scholarships”

Minah interrupted “Niel was accepted through music?”

Ricky nodded “Yeah he’s really good at singing and dancing”

“But Niel also wanted to do soccer, but when the other athletes founded out he was a musician they threw his uniform in the pool and kicked him off the team” Changjo added.

“That’s terrible!” Minah stabbed her plate with her fork.

“Hey I’m telling the story here! Anyway, so the only way to get back on the team was for Niel to quit music.” Ricky continued “And I guess over time Chunji just had forgiven him.”

“Wow, this school is crazy” Minah said.

 

Chunji chased down Niel and found him sitting up on the roof. “There you are” Chunji sat down next to him.

“Go away Chunji” Niel didn’t even make eye contact with him.

“Niel, do you remember what happened freshman year?” Chunji was looking at the soccer field below. “Do you remember when the soccer team tried to beat me up?”

Niel cracked a smile “Yeah”

“You stood up for me. And I forgave you for ditching me to join the soccer team”

Niel nodded “I remember”

“Well, that’s not why I forgave you.”

Niel looked at him “Then why did you forgive me?”

“I saw how much you enjoyed soccer. I understood why you made the decision that you made.” Chunji turned to face Niel “But you enjoy singing too don’t you?”

Niel laughed “Yeah I do, I really do miss it”

“Then do the talent show Niel”

Niel shook his head “I can’t”

“Niel, let’s make a stand so that none of the new freshman have to go through what we did”

Niel took a deep breath “Your right”

“Let’s win this thing”

 

Minah sat down in her science classroom next to Niel. Should I say something to him?

Niel slid over a piece of paper. Minah looked at the paper and smiled.

I’m In!