Tennis Trouble

To The Top!

“It’s only the first day back and she’s already making us do pacers” Sue complained.

“There’s no more time for slack ladies. I want you all in top condition for our first game!” Coach Roseau shouted.

Finally after running back and forth for another ten minutes the coach blew her whistle “Okay ladies that’s enough. You may head to the locker rooms”

All the girls were sweaty and panting. Minah dropped down and laid in the grass until she caught her breath. Sue lightly kicked her and in between breathes told her to go to the locker room. Minah forced herself up and followed her request.

Once the girls showered the coach posted the lineup for the match. Sue, being the best player, was in Singles-1 while Minah was put right under her at Singles-2.

“Were up against a tough team but I think we’ll do fine” Sue said. “Let’s go get some dinner”

 

Ricky jumped on Chunji while he was eating. “Chunji! You’re back!”

“It’s good to see you too Ricky”

“Now the whole gang is back together” Niel pointed at Minah and Sue. “Here come the girls”

“Hey guys look at this” Changjo rushed over holding a newspaper.    

Minah peered over and read the headline “Nice young boy saves stray cat?”

“No not that” Changjo opened the newspaper and pointed to a smaller article “Mapleridge High School gets ready for their upcoming tennis match with MAE”

“What’s the big deal Changjo” Niel asked.

“The deal is that these girls are intense. The methods they use to train are insane.” Changjo pointed to one part of the paragraph and read it out loud “Student Elliott Blackman says for her training she wears ten pound weights on each leg. Blackman says she is very intent on winning. “

Ricky gasped “Look at the picture! Are you sure that’s a woman!”

“I can’t believe we have to face such a tough team for our first game” Sue complained.

“Someone’s gotta lose” Chunji added.

Minah slammed her fist on the table “And it won’t be us! Sue we can still win”

Sue saw the fire in Minah’s eyes “You’re right! We can and we will!”

 

Minah and the rest of the team got off their bus ready and pumped for their match. “Alright girls let’s go sign in” They followed the coach to the sign in tent and waited outside while Coach Roseau went in.

“If you look who it is” A girl wearing an orange jersey came around the corner. “It’s Mae the tennis wonders!” She commented sarcastically.

Sue got up but Minah stepped in front of her. “Sue let it go”

Coach came out of the tent “Were all set, c’mon team this way” The team followed her and left the girl in orange.

 

The Mapleridge tennis team was much tougher than MAE had expected. MAE had lost Doubles-1 but held strong and won doubles-2.

“Hey Minah!” L.Joe called.

“L.Joe” Minah’s mood brightened when she saw him. “You came”

“Of course I did”

“We came too” Niel mentioned.

Minah was never happier to see her friends.

“What’s the score” Chunji asked.

Minah sighed “As of now were tied”

“Not anymore” Sue interrupted. “Minah you better go warm up”

Minah became confused “It ended already?”

“One of them replaced Shelly’s water, she’s been throwing up non-stop. We had to forfeit her match.” Sue was full of anger. “Just go warm up Minah”

Minah left to warm up and L.Joe followed. “L.Joe I don’t need help warming up”

L.Joe grabbed her wrist “Minah, good luck”

Minah took a deep breath “thanks L.Joe”

“And one more thing, when your out there don't give up”

“I never give up”

 

Minah entered the court with her head held high. She faced her opponent to shake hands. “Hey I know you” Minah shook her hand. “You’re Elliott Blackman from the newspaper.” Elliott ignored her and walked to her side of the court. “Rude”

Elliott Blackman was probably the worst opponent anyone could ever face. Her strategy was to make you run from the front to the back over and over again and when you least expected it she would aim the ball right at your face. Minah put up a fight, there was no way she would lose. Everyone was counting on her.

“Switch courts” The referee yelled.

Minah took a huge swig of water. “You can still win; you’re almost there Minah.” Coach tried to encourage her but Minah was feeling out of it. “Minah are you listening?” Minah could hardly keep her eyes open she was exhausted, she had never been in a match for so long.

 

“She looks so tired” Ricky said.

L.Joe clenched the fence. “She better win this game fast, I don’t know how much longer she can last”

“She’ll win” Sue’s eyes were focused “She can do it.”

 

Minah got back out on the court. Elliot didn’t look tired at all, in fact she looked like she was full of energy. 

 Maybe I should give up. “15-love” It’s not like I have a chance. “30-Love”

“Minah! Don’t give up!” L.Joe shouted. “Minah never give up”

Minah snapped out of it. “30-15”

She couldn’t just give up, people were counting on her. “30-all!”

L.Joe was right I can’t give up, I can still win. “Matchpoint!”

“Game-Minah from MAE!”

Soon everyone was cheering, Minah had won her match and now it was all up to Sue.

Minah sat on a bench and chugged down her water. She watched Sue enter the court. “Sue!” Sue turned around “Fighting!”

 

Back on campus the group was greeted by Cap. “So? What happened?”

Minah smiled “We won!”

“That’s great!” Cap replied.

“And it was all thanks to these girls right here” Niel pulled Sue and Minah close to him. “Great job you two”

Minah and Sue locked eyes and laughed. “Yeah I guess it wasn’t so hard” Minah joked.

“Well we won’t be versing any more tough teams for a while” Sue pointed out.

“I guess we’ll need to focus all our energy into cheering for the boys until then” Minah joked.