14.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

14.

"Have you thought of any ideas?" Grandma queries, as she restocks the eggs into the refrigerator. I silently shake my head as I hand over the buttermilk from the grocery bag. She takes it from my hands, stares down at it, sighing, before sluggishly putting it into the side carriage in the refrigerator.

Early last week, Hyun and Won thought of handing out fliers to people, promoting our café and special discount promotion. If you brought and handed over the flyer, you would get a free coffee with a purchase of a pastry. The promotion worked for a couple of days, new customers started trickling in, pleased with both the coffee and pastries. But sadly, the promotion backfired. Hyun started noticing the same people started coming in with the same flyer from the previous days. We started keeping track of the people and the flyers that they brought in. Ultimately, we found out that people were photocopying the flyer, keeping it for themselves and handing copies to their friends. Once we found out, we had to end the promotion. And now we're back to square one.

I grab my notepad off of the counter and begin scribbling down the page.

"How are we doing now? How much time do we have left?"

"Well with the mini promotion that we had, even with the losses that happened with the fake flyers, we managed to gain one more month. We still need to figure something out," she answers, while wiping off the imaginary dust off of the counters. She stops, slides the cloth into her apron, and leans against the counter.

"Honey, do you know wher – Are you okay?" Grandpa's voice enters the room as he walked past the black curtain. He maneuvers over to her and rests a hand on her shoulder. She shakes her head and brushes his hand off of her shoulder and dejectedly walks into the office. Grandpa glances at me for a moment, with his chestnut-colored eyes, peering through this thick-rimmed glasses, before following after her.

We need to do something – and fast.

I grab my notepad and head towards the exit of the kitchen. I shove the black curtains to the side, revealing the café.

"Oh Grandpa, I finished. 198 degrees as you requested," Minseok says, before looking over to me.

"Sorry, I thought you were him."

I take a step forward and reply with a half-smile.

"Are you okay?"

Sliding my hands and notepad into my back pocket, I sluggishly nod.

"You sure? You can tell me anything, you know?" I fondly smile at his words.

"Hey! Aya, Won and I finished restocking the backroom with the flour and stuff. Can you tell Grandma and Grandpa that we're about to leave?" Hyun yells from the door of the backroom, with Won in tow. They make their way over to Minseok and I.

"We have dates set up for today," Won beams, while nudging me in my side.

I pull Hyun and Won to the side. Pulling my notepad out, I frantically write.

"Grandma is getting really sad about the café. We need to do something."

"I know. But what can we do? That promo backfired," Hyun replies.

"We can think of something to do..."

"I can try to promote the café on my Instagram. Might as well use my following for something, right?" Won offers.

"Okay, that sounds good. Hmm, let's aim for two ideas for each of us by the end of this week, okay? We gotta keep this place running."

"We have to. This place is our second home," Hyun comments, while taking glances around the empty café.

"Alright, commencing Operation Save 'Davinci Coffee'," Won exclaims, putting his hand in the middle of us. Hyun and I blankly stare at him.

"Hey... your hands. Don't leave me hanging here..." Won trails off. Hyun and I comply and put our hands in the middle and simultaneously throw them into the air.

"Alright, we gotta go. See you tomorrow Aya.... Bye Minseok-ssi," Won says and Hyun waves towards us, behind him, as they head towards the entrance of the café.

The sound of shuffling feet causes my head to snap toward the black curtain. Grandpa walks into the café area, heading towards Minseok, with a serious look on his face.

"Sorry, I took so long. Um, what is the temperature again?" Grandpa says in a monotone voice.

Grandpa's never like this...

 

We have to save this place.

 


Author's Note:

READ MEH:

Alo! Sorry for the abscence. I felt like writing, but everytime I did, it was horrible/didn't like it. I don't want to give you guys garbage and ruin the story.....

IMPORTANT NOTES TO THE STORY:

  1. In this universe, Aphasia can be cured!
  2. The twins, Hyun and Won, are the Tasty twins. I imagined them as the twins.
  3. I edited all the chapters, so the story is more consistent now. No more random plot holes/things not making sense. So I suggest re-reading the previous chapters and ish.

I want to make this a good story, enjoyable for me to write and you guys to read. Comment me suggestions/questions you have/anything that would help/influence the story. I really appreciate it.