11.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

11.

 

The text cursor is slowly blinking, waiting for me to type my message.

Let's be causal... Yeah it's a simple text message. Right? I wonder what he wants to talk about.

-------------------------------------------------------------

‏To: Minseok

‏From: Aya

‏Hey, this is Aya. I got your number from Won.

Sent: 1:45pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm this should be okay, right? It's simple. Oh goodness.... Now I have to wait for him to respond back.

My heart begins to beat faster at the thought of having to wait for his response.

Wait, why am I freaking out? There's nothing going on between the two of us. And it's a simple text message. Aya, you've sent a text before...

In a panic, my thumbs fly across the screen, pressing individual letters before hitting the bright green 'send' button.

-------------------------------------------------------------

‏To: Won

‏From: Aya

‏I texted him. Now what?

Sent: 1:47pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

To: Aya

From: Won

He texts you back. That's how texting works.

It sounds like you're nervous. Wait, are you? ;3

Sent: 1:49pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

He's picking up on it. If he finds out, he's never letting this go.....Well he's already not letting this go.

-------------------------------------------------------------

‏To: Won

‏From: Aya

‏I'm not nervous. It just that it's kinda random. 

I was perfectly content with just randomly

meeting at the cafe...

Sent: 1:51pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now he won't suspect anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------

To: Aya

From: Won

Hmmmmm. If you say so.. Oh Grandma's

wondering when you're coming in.

Sent: 1:52pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Crap! The errands...

-------------------------------------------------------------

To: Won

From: Aya

I'll be leaving my apartment within the next

five minutes. I'll be there soon.

Sent: 1:54pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

I place my phone onto the kitchen table and head into the room. I pick up my leather brown bag off of my bed and walk out, past Alii pouncing on her ball of yarn, back into the living room/kitchen area. I look over my shoulder, focusing on Alii.

"Alii, I'm going out to run errands. No more scratching on the dresser, okay?" I sternly warn.

Alii gazes up from her red ball of yarn and innocently blinks at me.

Mhmmm...I'm watching you..

I grab my phone off of the kitchen table and my keys off of the coffee table, before slipping into my grey boots and heading out of the door.

---------------

Before placing my hand on the door handle, I notice a small smudge on the door window. Using my sleeve, I lightly brush against the smudge, causing it to disappear. Satisfied with the outcome, I resume to open the door. The bells chime, signalling my entrance into the cafe.

It's been twenty minutes since I texted him...

"Did he text you back? What did he say? He wants to ask you out. I just know it," Won rambles.

...And no reply.

I shrug.

"Really? Are you lying to me?" He replies in disbelief.

I chuckle to myself and shake my head, before proceeding to the kitchen. Grandma stands in front of the stove, with her back towards me and her focus is on the banana nut muffins that are situated on top of the stove. I carefully walk up behind her, trying not to startle her. She hears my footsteps and turn around.

"Oh Aya, you came? I was wondering when you would come in," She rambles. I hum in response and move behind her, to peek over her should to view the muffins.

"Just made these this morning. Can you help me put it on the rack?" She asks while handing me a pair of oven mitts. Grandma moves out of the way and proceeds to walk into this small office, hidden in the far right corner of the kitchen.

"When you're done, come in here," she calls out.

After sliding the oven mitts onto my hands, I pick up and carry the muffins to the tray rack and slide them on. I take off the gloves and place them on the counter. Following Grandma's footsteps, I walk into the office, greeted by the view of Grandma, sitting behind a wooden, black desk covered with papers, receipts, log books and Grandma's recipe books.

Noticing my presence, Grandma looks up from her log book and sets down her pen. For the first time in a long time, Grandma's age began to show on her face. With a sigh, she slides her glasses from her eyes and places then down, next to the log book. The silver strands of her hair swings in front of her dark brown eyes before she tucks them behind her ears, with her flour stained, calloused fingers.  The wrinkles that help contour her eyes deepen as she closes her eyes for a moment before looking up at me again. 

"I need you to deposit these funds in the bank for me. I have to stay and recalculate all of these expenses we're making. Every time I do, it appears that we're not.....I'm worried we might," she pauses.

"...we might have to close in a few months."

What?

I swiftly sit down in the chair, positioned in front of the desk. I pull out the notepad and marker from my purse and write.

"Wait what? How?"

"Our landlord has been slowly increasing the rent for this place and we haven't had that many new customers coming into the shop. We're cutting it really close. I have to see if we could do something without increasing our prices. We've already done it once, we can't do it again," Grandma exhales.

"Does Grandpa know about this?"

"Not yet. I know he had a feeling about this, but I didn't want to worry him. You're the only one who knows right now."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Nothing right now. Maybe think of a way we can get more customers in here...something...Here's the money," she explains while handing me a small, white envelope. Glancing down at her folded hands on top of her desk, she sighs again. After quickly writing words on the notepad, I get up from my seat and walk around the desk, towards her. I place the notepad in front of her and embrace her from behind.

"Don't worry. We'll be fine."

"Thank you, my sweet granddaughter. Be careful, okay?" She kisses me on the cheek. Grandma rises from her seat, hands me my notepad before guiding me to the door.  I nod in response. As I walk out out the kitchen, into the main cafe, I look over to Grandpa, whose face is beaming as he talks to a customer about his coffee special for the day.

He loves this...

"Why are you staring at Grandpa? In awe of his aged looks?" Hyun jokes. I let out a small laugh.

"You okay? You look a little down," he asks with a raised eyebrow. I shake my head and reassuringly pat him on the shoulder. I point to the door.

"Right, the errand. Cheer up, okay?" I nod before heading to the door. The door chimes as I open the door, walking onto the sidewalk. As I head towards the train station, I feel my phone buzz twice, two seconds apart. I reach into my bag and pull out my phone.

Messages --
Won (1)
Minseok (1)

He...texted back....

I unlock my phone and open my messages.

I'll check Won's first..

-------------------------------------------------------------

To: Aya

From: Won

...so did he text you back?....

TELL ME! I know he texted you earlier. You're

killing me with the anticipation...

Sent: 2:50pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hah...the fact that you two texted me back at the same time... So Minseok's message...

-------------------------------------------------------------

To: Aya

From: Minseok

Hey! I'm glad my number got to you. Sorry for

the late reply. I just had practice.

So.... I was wondering.... if you're not busy

tonight, would you like to get a meal with me?

It's totally okay, if you don't...

Sent: 2:49pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

A meal...Like dinner?!?


Author's Note:

How are you all? I hope you're doing well. I meant to finish this chapter sooner, but something awesome happened... I GOT MY FIRST FULL TIME JOB! I'm officially an adult. And now I gotta move across the country and live by myself!! T~T..... lol I know it's going to be a lot of hard work and stuff, but I'm already making plans to keep writing in my schedule. I'm kinda excited on how this story is going to turn out.

On a side note, DOES ANYONE WATCH THE WALKING DEAD? SEASON 6 PREMIERES TONIGHT?! AHHH lol

Anywhoo, I hope you liked this chapter.

Comment. Subscribe. Vote. And Thank you!

HOW?! I'm done. I can't with him..