September 2013

Perfectly Imperfect - indefinite hiatus

“A year, Kyungie-poo,” Baekhyun crowed on the other end of the phone. Kyungsoo, loaded down with books from his last two classes and on his way to his part-time job at the university library, winced at the shrill tone in his ear. “A whole year! Can you believe it? It’s amazing.”

“Congratulations,” Kyungsoo answered, pushing open the heavy door to the library and going inside. It was nice and quiet in the library, the smell of old books overwhelming and welcoming all at the same time.

Baekhyun scoffed. “Don’t be patronizing, Kyunggie,” he said. “I know you and Jongin have been together for longer. It doesn’t mean I can’t still be excited about mine and Chanyeol’s anniversary.”

Kyungsoo had to laugh, earning him a surprised and rather reproachful look from the old librarian, with whom he was usually on good terms. “I wasn’t patronizing you, Baek,” he assured his friend, dropping his bags beneath his desk, kicking them out of sight. “I really am happy for the two of you. Believe me. So do you have any big plans for the occasion?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Baekhyun said, but there was a hitch in his voice that gave away how truly excited he was. “Chanyeol says he’s got something planned, but I don’t know what it is.” He allowed himself a giggle. “I bet it’s something really weird. You know how he is.”

“Or it might be something really romantic,” Kyungsoo suggested. “Chanyeol’s idea of a good date might be a little skewed, but you have to admit that he’s unique. I bet it’ll be something great.”

Baekhyun laughed again. “Skewed is a pretty good description. Remember when he took me to that little sports pub to watch the game on television? Everyone there was so into it and Chanyeol didn’t even notice when I fell asleep on the table?”

“In his defense, that was a pretty good game,” Kyungsoo said. He caught sight of the librarian giving him her most pointed look. “Look, Baek, I’m at work now so I’ve got to go. I hope your anniversary date is everything you  hope and more. Call me afterwards with all the details. Well, on second thought, not all the details. I don’t need to know everything, you know.”

Baekhyun laughed. “See you later, man.”

Kyungsoo was smiling as he pinned his library nametag to his shirt and set off with a rolling cart loaded down with returned books that needed to be shelved.

Working at the library could be tedious at times, he had to admit, but he liked it. There was something overwhelmingly comforting about being around all the old books, about the smell and the quiet. He also enjoyed seeing the different titles that students had checked out and returned. He knew that most of the books that were checked out were for research papers or assignments, but sometimes he wondered if people ever checked out old history books or literary criticism volumes just for fun.

The minutes ticked by on the big clock in the center of the library. Kyungsoo’s shift was only for three hours, but he enjoyed every minute of it. He was over in the history section, shelving a couple of books about the Joseon Dynasty, when he stumbled across someone he knew quite well.

But Jinki wasn’t alone. He was sitting at one of the little study desks in the corner, squeezed in next to a pretty dark-haired girl with big eyes and rosy cheeks. She was laughing at something he had said even as they bent over their homework, covering to try and stifle the noise.

Kyungsoo watched them for a moment. He’d known Jinki for a while now, and he’d never really seen the guy show any romantic interest in anyone. In fact, he’d been more concerned with his little brother’s love life than his own. But now, as Kyungsoo watched him with the girl, he thought that maybe Jinki’s turn had finally come. He was no longer at Seonbi to religiously monitor Taemin and Minho’s goings and comings, so maybe he had finally started to loosen up.

Jinki glanced up, a big grin on his face, and he caught sight of Kyungsoo. He looked stricken for a moment, like he had been caught doing something he wasn’t supposed to be doing, but then his grin returned and he waved.

Kyungsoo returned the wave but, not wanting to disturb the duo, he continued on with his duties, shelving the returned books.

Jinki came to find him half an hour later. It was close to the end of his shift and Kyungsoo’s mind was occupied with what he was going to make for dinner that night; he knew that Jongin loved his cooking so he tried to always find time to cook for his boyfriend when they were both home for dinner.

“Hey!”

Jinki popped up beside him so suddenly that he jumped, nearly dropping the armload of books he was carrying.

Kyungsoo clutched his heart. “Jeez, don’t do that!” he chided. “You almost gave me a heart attack!”

Jinki chuckled, picking up a book that had fallen from Kyungsoo's pile. “Sorry, man. Didn’t mean to scare you. You working?”

“Yeah. I’ll be off in a bit though,” Kyungsoo said. He gave his friend a sidelong look. “So what are you doing in the library?”

“Studying,” Jinki answered. “What else do people come to the library for?”

Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “I couldn’t help but notice that you weren’t studying alone.”

Jinki blushed. “Ah, yeah. I was working on an assignment for one of my history classes. We were working on it together.”

“She’s very pretty,” Kyungsoo pointed out. “What’s her name?”

Jinki blushed even more, if that was possible. “Yujin,” he explained. “But it’s not like that. I’m just tutoring her. Her parents are even paying me.”

“But you’d have done it for free, right?” Kyungsoo teased. “She’s very pretty, and I can tell that you like her. You should ask her out.”

Jinki sighed. “I’ve thought about it, but I just can’t,” he moaned. “She’s way out of my league. She’d just laugh at me or something and then our tutoring sessions would get really awkward. I just can’t.”

“I think she’s totally into you, for what it’s worth,” Kyungsoo said, shelving the very last of his books. “She kept laughing at everything you said.”

“That’s because I’m an idiot,” Jinki dead-panned.

“Quit selling yourself short, hyung,” Kyungsoo chided. “You’re obviously smart enough to tutor her, right? Have some faith in yourself. Don’t be such a chicken.”

Jinki laughed. “Is Do Kyungsoo really telling me not to be a chicken right now? Really?”

Kyungsoo laughed with him. “Yeah, yeah. I just think you should ask her out. That’s all.”

Jinki shook his head. “Thanks for the advice, Kyunggie-poo, but asking her out would be a terrible idea.”

“If you say so,” Kyungsoo laughed. “My shift is over. Want to gab some coffee? Jongin doesn’t get off for a few more hours.”

“Sure,” Jinki agreed. “I’m done tutoring for today. Let’s go.”

It was while they were tucked in a corner of the campus café, steaming cups of coffee in their hands, that Jinki’s cell phone went off. He glanced at the caller ID, then smiled bashfully at his friend. “Hold on a second,” he said apologetically. “I’ve got to take this.” He cleared his throat and answered the call. “Hello? Yujin?”

Kyungsoo’s face split into a wicked grin as he watched his friend stumble over his words as he chatted to the girl he’d been with before at the library.

Quick as a flash, he snatched the phone from Jinki’s hand. Jinki let out a startled cry and tried to grab it back, but Kyungsoo scooted out of his reach.

“Hello?” Kyungsoo said breathily into the phone. “Are you Jinki’s friend?”

There was a hesitation, and then the girl replied, “Yes, I’m his friend.” She sounded like she was trying not to laugh.

“Can you do me a huge favor?” Kyungsoo asked. “I’m Jinki’s friend, too. I had tickets to go to the movies tomorrow night, but now I have to work and so I can’t go. I’m trying to give the tickets to Jinki but he won’t take them because he says that he doesn’t have anyone to go with.”

“I’d love to go with him to the movies,” Yujin replied without hesitation.

Kyungsoo’s face split into a broad grin. “Great! He can call you later with all the details.”

He hung up the phone and slid it across the table to Jinki, who looked somewhere between hopeful and horrified. “You’re welcome,” Kyungsoo said smugly. “Thanks to me, you’ve got a date with Yujin tomorrow night.”

Jinki blinked stupidly. “You don’t really have tickets for me, do you?”

“Not a chance,” Kyungsoo said. “So let’s go buy them now!”

He was still feeling pleased with himself when Jongin came home from his dance studio later that evening, drenched in sweat and exhausted but happy. He was always happy when he was dancing, and he was always happy when he was with Kyungsoo.

“You look pleased,” he said, bending down to peck his shorter boyfriend on the lips. “Did something good happen today?”

“I set Jinki up on a date,” Kyungsoo said gleefully, turning around so he could greet his boyfriend a little more properly. “I’m having fun playing matchmaker.”

“Don’t you remember what happened the last time you tried to play matchmaker?” Jongin pointed out with a little laugh, sticking his finger in the pot of spaghetti sauce for a taste. “When you tried to set Junmyeon up with Yifan?”

Kyungsoo smacked Jongin’s hand away from the stove playfully. “Yes, I remember it all too well. But at least both of them are in happy relationships now. That’s something, right? And besides, this will work. Jinki and this girl already like each other. I just gave them the push they needed.”

Jongin slapped Kyungsoo’s bottom before he slipped off towards their bathroom to take a shower. “I just hope that this doesn’t backfire on you!”

Kyungsoo pouted as he turned back to their dinner. He certainly hoped that nothing backfired. Jinki had been single for as long as Kyungsoo had known him; he needed at least a good date.

He’d lied to Yujin about having to work as well as about having the movie tickets, which meant that while he sat at home the following evening, reading a book for his literature class and waiting for Jongin to get home from work at the dance studio, he was also keeping an eye on his phone, waiting for a call or message from Jinki telling him how his date with Yujin had gone.

It was nearing midnight – about time for Jongin to be getting home – when Kyungsoo’s phone rang. He snatched it up and answered without even looking to see who was calling.

“Hyung?” he said breathlessly. “How’d it go?”

“How’d what go?” Jonghyun demanded suspiciously. “What are you talking about, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo blushed, setting his book aside. “Sorry, Jonghyun. I thought you were Jinki. I’ve been waiting for him to call.”

“Sorry to disappoint you,” Jonghyun began with a laugh, but then he stopped. “Wait, what is Jinki doing? What do you know? Tell me everything!”

“But why did you call, hyung?” Kyungsoo queried. “It’s late. You usually don’t phone at this hour.”

But Jonghyun was insistent. “You tell me what’s going on with Jinki first, and then I’ll tell you why I called.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes with a smile. Typical Jonghyun. “Okay, fine. He’ll probably kill me for telling you this, but he had a date.”

“A date?” Jonghyun repeated, almost incredulously. “Are you sure it’s with a real live girl and not a blow up doll or something?”

Kyungsoo laughed out loud at that one, smiling at his boyfriend as Jongin came in from work. He came straight over to where his boyfriend was sitting on the couch and planted a loud kiss right on his lips even though Kyungsoo was on the phone. “You act like Jinki’s completely undesirable, hyung.”

“Most girls can’t get past the chicken obsession and the horrible jokes,” Jonghyun teased. “But yeah, Jinki is a catch. We all know that. Honestly, we were beginning to think he’d never get the balls to ask anybody out.”

“Well I asked her out for him,” Kyungsoo admitted. “But it’s still a date. I’m waiting for him to call me so I can know how the date went. So why are you calling?”

“Oh, Kibum’s birthday is coming up so I wanted to invite you and Jongin over for his party,” Jonghyun said in an offhand manner. “It’s nothing big. Just a few friends over to our place for dinner and some copious amounts of drinking, but it should be fun. But your news about Jinki is way more interesting.”

Kyungsoo waved Jongin off as he tried to listen in to the conversation. “Well I still don’t know what happened. I’ll let you know as soon as I get some info.”

“Please do,” Jonghyun urged. Then they said their goodbyes and hung up.

“So Jonghyun is having a birthday party for Kibum?” Jongin said, pulling his sweaty shirt over his head. The lights in the living room were dim, but Kyungsoo could see the rivulets of sweat that still dripped down his boyfriend’s abs. He subconsciously wet his lips; if the minute smirk on Jongin’s full lips was anything to go by, he hadn’t missed the gesture.

“Eavesdropper,” Kyungsoo accused, getting to his feet and following Jongin back to the bedroom.

Jongin pretended to be hurt, leaning against the doorframe leading into the bathroom. “I can’t believe that you’re more interested in Jinki’s date and Kibum’s party than you are in your own boyfriend.”

“You know that’s not true,” Kyungsoo laughed, walking over and wrapping his arms around Jongin’s neck. “You know I’m more interested in you than anything else in the whole world.”

Jongin struggled not to smile, but the corners of his mouth twitched up nonetheless. “Even more than studying?”

“Even more than studying,” Kyungsoo assured him, punctuating each word with a kiss on Jongin’s cheeks and nose.

“Even more than cooking?”

Kyungsoo kissed him on the lips this time. “More than everything, Jongin.”

That was all it really took for Jongin to pull Kyungsoo into the bathroom with him. It was past midnight by this point but Kyungsoo didn’t complain as Jongin stripped them both and they tumbled into the shower together.

All thoughts of Kibum and his birthday party and Jinki and his date with Yujin faded from Kyungsoo’s mind as Jongin pinned him up against the cold tiles of the shower, the steamy water cascading across bare skin, Jongin working him open with two and then three fingers.

Jongin slipped inside with ease – Kyungsoo was still loose from their romp in the sheets that morning – and in no time at all they had found a comfortable, reassuring rhythm. Even though it was late, they didn’t bother with frantic, hurried . They took their time, enjoying each other, re-memorizing all the already memorized lines and contours, hollows and swells. Even before he came, Kyungsoo felt like his insides had turned to goo. Jongin had that effect on him, even after how long they’d been together.

Eventually the water turned cold and they climbed out – Kyungsoo had lost track of how many times Jongin had made him come. It wasn’t until they were climbing into bed together that Kyungsoo remembered Jinki and his date. He quickly grabbed his phone and checked his messages. He only had one from Jinki. It was just a winking face.

“What does this mean?” Kyungsoo complained, frowning at the screen as Jongin turned off the light.

Jongin snatched the phone away from him and tossed it onto the nightstand, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend and snuggling closer. “It means he had a good time. Now quite meddling and come cuddle.”

And of course Kyungsoo didn’t have to be told twice. 


So this chapter is mostly because Jinki didn't get a whole lot of screen time in the last chapter. Not even any bonus chapters. And I love him, so I wanted him to get some happy times here in the sequel haha

So I've decided on the colors I'll be using in my wedding!

(Not these dresses, just the colors)

There are six bridesmaids, and I want two in blue, two in pink, and two in yellow. My mom thinks that three colors is too much and that I should stick with two. What do you guys think? And which colors are your favorite? If I have to choose just two, which one would you not choose? Keep in mind that the wedding is a very fun, summery outdoor wedding :)

Also, 1 year, 3 months, 1 week, and 5 days until the wedding!

We're getting our engagement photos taken in a couple of weeks! I'm really excited! The place that we're going to is in Gangnam and apparently it's really famous and a lot of actors and idols use it >.<