June 2013 [bonus]

Perfectly Imperfect - indefinite hiatus

Jonghyun was still swimming through layers of fog-like dreams when a tickling sensation running along the bridge of his nose shattered it and he came gasping for air to the surface.

When his eyes finally focused, he found his boyfriend propped up on an elbow just beside him, running his index finger repeatedly down Jonghyun’s nose. “Good morning,” he said, his smile a mixture of happiness and expectation.

Jonghyun groaned and rubbed his eyes sleepily. “What time is it?”

“Eight,” Kibum replied, now running his hand soothingly through his boyfriend’s hair.

Jonghyun groaned again and buried his face in the pillow. “It’s a Saturday, babe. Let me sleep.”

Kibum frowned as Jonghyun rolled over and proceeded to fall back asleep. He poked the elder none too gently between the shoulder blades, causing Jonghyun to yelp. “I’m going to take a shower,” he said pointedly. “A very , very ographic shower.”

Jonghyun just pulled the blankets up higher and settled in to sleep. “Have fun.” He was snoring again within seconds.

Kibum glared at his boyfriend for a minute longer, then huffily got out of bed and made his way into the bathroom, making sure to slam the door quite loudly behind him. Jonghyun did not join him.

He tried not to let Jonghyun’s callousness bother him but, truthfully, it hurt quite a lot that Jonghyun didn’t even remember that today was their anniversary. They’d been together for three years now and Jonghyun couldn’t even remember. He called his lump-head boyfriend every name under the sun as he viciously scrubbed himself clean under the scalding spray.

Maybe he just needed to try a little harder to jog Jonghyun’s memory, he decided. After all, Jonghyun wasn’t exactly the sharpest crayon in the box. Certainly the best looking, but maybe not the smartest.

So, after getting dressed and making sure that Jonghyun was still passed out in their bed, he slipped out of the apartment and headed for their favorite café down the block.

Their apartment building was near campus, and so there were a million and one cafes to choose from. He and Jonghyun had chosen this particular one as their favorite not long after starting school. Well, Jonghyun had chosen it because Key had chosen it, and Key had chosen it because it was a cat café. There was always the chance that you might end up with fur in your coffee, but it was worth it for a chance to play with the cats and kittens that roamed freely inside.

The barista was a cute girl Kibum knew from one of his classes, Yeji, and she smiled when she saw him come in. “You’re out early!” she beamed. “Where’s your other half?”

“Still sleeping,” Kibum admitted with a little chuckle. “He’s not exactly a morning person, so I figured I’d surprise him with coffee.”

“You two are so cute!” Yeji practically squealed. “I hope I’m as happy as you guys are someday!”

“I’m sure you will be,” Kibum said. Hopefully your boyfriend won’t forget your anniversary, though, he added mentally.

Yeji just laughed. “Your usual then?”

“You got it.”

She lifted a Persian off the counter and set about making his coffees. He and Jonghyun came here often enough that Yeji and all the other baristas knew their orders by heart.

It wasn’t long before he was bidding Yeji farewell and heading back to the apartment. Jonghyun was still asleep when he came in, almost in the exact same position he’d been in when Kibum had left.

Kibum felt a sudden surge of sympathy for his boyfriend. He knew that Jonghyun was working his off at his studies and at his part-time job. So, instead of waking his boyfriend up, he tucked the covers more comfortably around Jonghyun, drew a heart on the cup of coffee and set it on the bedside table, and went into the kitchen to make breakfast.

The smell of sizzling sausage finally drew Jonghyun out of his hibernation, as Kibum had known it would. He stumbled into the kitchen in nothing but a pair of sweatpants, his hair sticking up all over the place.

“You’re making breakfast,” he said stupidly. “Why?”

Kibum shrugged. “I just felt like it,” he lied. He wanted Jonghyun to remember their anniversary without having to be told.

Jonghyun offered up a sleepy grin. “It smells delicious.”

“Of course it does,” Kibum replied loftily. “I’m cooking it.”

“It would probably be better if Kyungsoo cooked it,” Jonghyun teased thoughtfully, and he had to dodge the spatula that suddenly flew his way. “I’m joking, I’m joking!” he laughed, picking up the spatula and pecking his boyfriend on the cheek. “I’m going to go take a shower before you start throwing knives.”

Kibum wrinkled his nose as Jonghyun disappeared back to the bathroom. He couldn’t believe Jonghyun would dare to insult him on their anniversary. Jonghyun really might have been the worst boyfriend in the world. Kibum asked himself over and over why he was even dating the stupid dino-face.

Kibum was just setting breakfast out on their tiny little kitchen table when Jonghyun reappeared, fully dressed and decidedly still awake. They settled down to enjoy it.

“Do you have to work today?” Kibum asked delicately, sipping orange juice.

Jonghyun shook his head. “Nope. I’ve got the day off.”

Kibum’s palms felt sweaty. “O-oh, really? We should do something together then. I’m off too.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, babe,” Jonghyun gave him an apologetic smile. “I already made plans with Jinki. He’s got tickets to a baseball game and then we’re going out for drinks. I probably won’t be home until late.”

Kibum slammed his fork down so hard the glasses rattled; Jonghyun jumped in his seat. “Maybe you should just date Jinki then!” he snapped.

Much to his chagrin, Jonghyun actually laughed at that. “Jeez, Kibum, don’t get jealous of Jinki. Even if Jinki was into guys – which he’s not, by the way – he is so not my type. Gross.”

Kibum didn’t know whether to be relieved or frustrated by Jonghyun’s answer. “You clean up the dishes then. I’m going to go out with Junmyeon.” And he stormed off into the bedroom.

“Sorry, I’m working this weekend,” Junmyon said apologetically when Kibum called him up. “I’m really sorry, hyung. Otherwise I’d go do something with you.”

“It’s okay,” Kibum said, forcing himself not to lose it completely. “I’ll try somebody else.”

But everyone else was busy, it seemed. Kyungsoo was overly apologetic when he explained he was visiting his mother for the weekend. Yifan already had plans with Zitao. And Yixing bluntly told him not to wait until the last minute to try and make plans with people.

“Are you going out with Junmyeon then?” Jonghyun asked, coming into the bedroom after having cleaned up the breakfast dishes.

“Yes,” Kibum lied, grabbing his coat from the closet. “I don’t know what time I’ll be back. Don’t bother waiting up.” And he left the apartment.

He didn’t really know where he was going, but he let his feet take him away from his apartment. He ended up back in the cat café.

“Twice in one day?” Yeji , resting her elbows on the counter while a rambunctious kitten climbed onto her shoulders. “You are one dedicated boyfriend.”

“Yeah, but apparently I’m the only dedicated one in the relationship,” Kibum sighed. “It’s our anniversary today, but Jonghyun forgot. We’ve been together three years and he forgot.”

“I’m sure he’s just got a lot on his mind,” Yeji assured him, bringing the little kitten over so Kibum could pet it.

Kibum sighed again. “I wish that was the case, but he doesn’t have so much on his mind that he couldn’t make plans with a friend today.”

“Oh, that does ,” Yeji admitted. “Well, how about this. I get off work in half an hour, and then we can go see a movie. How does that sound?”

Kibum found himself actually smiling. “Okay, sure.”

So he hung around the café for another thirty minutes, playing with the cats, and then he and Yeji headed off to see a movie. Because it was the weekend, the theater was crowded, but they managed to get two seats together for a romantic comedy that Jonghyun would have hated anyway. Afterwards, they went for lunch and then ice cream.

They were sitting on a park bench with their ice cream, chatting about their shared class and how annoying they found the professor, when a group of Yeji’s friends came by, loaded down with shopping bags and overpriced coffees.

“Oh my god, Yeji!” one of the girls cried when they approached. “Is this your boyfriend?”

“He’s so cute!” another girl squealed.

A third pulled out her cell phone to take a picture. “Squeeze together!”

“It’s not like that!” Yeji assured everyone quickly, turning the brightest shade of red. “We’re just friends. He’s already in a relationship.”

“With a guy,” Kibum added smartly, just to clarify that there was really nothing going on between him and Yeji.

But this only made the girls giggle and squeal even more.

Yeji shook her head, embarrassed. “I’m so sorry about them,” she apologized. “They’re always badgering me to start dating and so they’re overly excited.”

“It’s okay,” Kibum said with a laugh. “I’m sure my eardrums will heal by next week.”

Luckily Junmyeon strolled by then, a hat pulled down low on his head. He stopped in surprise when he saw Kibum and Yejin together. “Kibum?” he said. “What are you doing here?”

“Ah, I was just hanging out with my friend,” Kibum said, gesturing to Yejin.

“Oh.” The expression on Junmyeon’s face was unreadable. “I was just coming back from my study group if you still wanted to hang out.”

Kibum narrowed his eyes. “I thought you were working today?”

Junmyeon blushed crimson. “Oh, yeah. I worked earlier but we ended up being slow so they let me go early so I could make it to this study group for one of my classes.”

“Then where are your books?” Kibum demanded.

“I just looked on with my friend,” Junmyeon said quickly. “There’s a sale down at the department store. We should go check it out.”

“Go ahead,” Yeji said quickly when he looked at her to see if she was okay with him leaving. “I’ve got to deal with these squawking chickens right now.” She rolled her eyes at her friends with a little laugh.

“Thanks for hanging out with me today,” Kibum said, giving her a quick hug. “I’ll see you in class on Monday.”

“So who was that?” Junmyeon demanded with a curious quirk to his eyebrow.

Kibum rolled his eyes. “Suspicion does not look good on you, Junmyeonnie. She’s just a friend. Trust me, the day I turn straight is the day the world ends. Just so you know.”

Junmyeon laughed. “Okay, okay. But she’s cute.”

Kibum waggled his eyebrows suggestively. “I could introduce you if you want.”

Junmyeon was instantly mortified. “Don’t do that! I’d die of embarrassment! Besides, I’ve already got a boyfriend thank-you-very-much.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Kibum rolled his eyes, but at least he was smiling. “So where is this sale you mentioned? I need to mend my broken heart with lots of new clothes.”

They spent what seemed like ages at the department store, flitting between the racks and selecting the latest and greatest designs. Junmyeon had to pull Kibum away when he got short with a saleslady for not having his size in a pair of pants he really wanted.

“Let’s go to the garden,” Junmyeon suggested, giving Kibum a sideways glance. “I think you need to cool off a bit.”

“I’m fine,” Kibum grumbled, shaking Junmyeon off. “It’s their fault. They shouldn’t have the pants on a mannequin if they don’t have everyone’s size.”

“Seriously, let’s go.” Junmyeon tugged on his friend’s arm. “I think you need a bit of fresh air.”

Kibum allowed himself to be dragged away towards the upper floors, where the entrance to the rooftop garden was located. He was already loaded down with shopping bags and was thinking he might head home pretty soon.

Junmyeon pushed the door open and then shoved Kibum through it so hard that the taller male stumbled and nearly fell. “Junmyeon! What the hell?” he snapped, but the door closed behind him before he could even finish his sentence, and he was left on the roof in complete darkness.

“I’m going to kill that little brat,” Kibum grumbled through gritted teeth.

But before he could make good on his threat, a switch turned somewhere and the whole garden was magically lit with hundreds of strings of fairly lights, waving in the breeze. And there, underneath a little archway hanging with paper lanterns and more fairy lights, stood Jonghyun, a rose in hand, wearing a nice shirt and an even nicer smile. Just behind him was a picnic dinner complete with real plates and silverware, wine in crystal glasses, and candles.

Kibum dropped his shopping bags.

“Happy anniversary,” Jonghyun laughed, coming over and kissing his boyfriend deeply on the lips.

“I thought you’d forgotten,” Kibum admitted, still in awe of the magical scene in front of him.

“I knew you thought that,” Jonghyun said with a grin, leading his boyfriend over to the picnic. “But how could I ever forget the day I started dating the love of my life?”

Kibum threw his arms around Jonghyun. “I’m sorry I doubted you!”

Jonghyun laughed. “It’s fine. I thought Junmyeon was going to blow it when he got his stories mixed up about where he was.”

Kibum settled down on the blanket. “I did think it was a little strange that he said he was at work and then that he had a study date.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, sitting down next to his boyfriend. “Yeah, Junmyeon isn’t the sneakiest of our friends, but I had everyone else here helping decorate. And Kyungsoo helped me make the dinner, so I know it’s going to be delicious.”

“Even Kyungsoo lied to me for you?” Kibum was absolutely flabbergasted. “What sort of magic do you have?”

Jonghyun just laughed and held up a bite of pasta for his boyfriend. “Love is all the magic I need, babe.”

“Oh my god, you’re so cheesy,” Kibum groaned, eating the food offered to him nonetheless.

“You love it,” Jonghyun accused.

“I love you,” Kibum corrected, and he leaned forward to kiss the love of his life. 


So I realized how little time I spent on Jonghyun and Key's relationship in the last story, so I wanted to sort of mention again that they're a thing and they're awesome. In fact, they're so awesome that I wrote a Jongkey oneshot so you should all check it out: Art is the Lie That Enables us to See the Truth (shameles self promotion here)

And thank you again for all the congratulations and well wishes. It means a lot to me ^^ I wish I could have an online wedding too haha

My mom, fiance, and I went to Suwon a couple weekends ago and my mom snapped this candid shot of Jacky and I. It pretty much epitomizes our entire relationship lol

So, since my wedding is coming up soon (aka a year and a half), I figured I'd tell you how Jacky and I met! I don't think I've ever shared that with you guys. 

So I've told you before that I'm really into cosplay. I love to sew and make costumes, and I was working at a convention (where I judged other people's costumes). Jacky was also there with a group of his friends. One of his friends and one of my friends were friends, so our groups hung out for a little bit. Jacky had seen me the year before but had been too shy to talk to me, but this time he worked up his courage and finally said something to me. I remember him asking for my phone number and he was soooo shy it was so cute! We met on a Friday and hung out all day Saturday too. Saturday night, I was wearing a kpop shirt and he knew what it was and I was like "man I really gotta date this guy." Then the next day, on Sunday, he invited me out to eat with his friends and then we all went back to his place to go swimming. We didn't start dating right away, of coruse. We lived about four hours away from each other, so we talked for a while and then we started dating. And then I moved to the same city as him. And then I moved to Korea. And then he moved to Korea to be with me. And then he proposed. And now we're getting married. So now you guys know our history hahahaha

This is the day we met:

(we're total weirdos btw)