Chaper 10

Romeo, romeo, romeo.

 

Chapter 10

 

                         Taemin left Minho outside with Jonghyun and walked up to Key’s room. He knocked on the door and went inside to find Key lying on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

                         Key looked at Taemin. Taemin could see that something was on his umma’s mind. “Umma? You wanted to see me?” Taemin proded Key gently.

                         “Taemin… the doctor says I lost some of my memory. I don’t remember Jonghyun, the guy who was here just now. I remember you though, cause we were friends since we were young. That’s all I can remember and I’m scared.” Key slowly said to Taemin.

                         Taemin was shocked as he processed this piece of information. What? Umma doesn’t remember Jonghyun hyung? Gosh. No wonder Jonghyun hyung seemed so upset just now. Must be heartbreaking for him.

                         Taemin sat down in the chair next to Key’s bed. Taemin held his umma’s hand as his umma continued talking. “Taemin… I’m so afraid that I won’t ever remember what I did these past few years. I’m so afraid of my feelings for Jonghyun although I don’t remember him. Taemin-ah, what can I do?” Key started to cry.

                         Taemin held Key’s hand as he watched his umma cry. Taemin had always been Key’s best friend, but when Jonghyun came along, Jonghyun was always the one who held Key when he cried. All Taemin could do is to watch silently as Key cried. He tried to be there for him silently. Taemin was glad that Jonghyun came into Key's life, though. Jonghyun made Key so happy. And he could see that Key made Jonghyun happy too. It was worth a little space in his friendship with Key.

                         “Umma… You really don’t remember Jonghyun hyung?” Taemin hesitantly asked Key when Key had stopped crying.

                         “No, honey. I really don’t.  But the way he woke up on my shoulder this morning felt so natural. Who was he to me, actually? He told me that he’s just my friend.” Key asked Taemin, hoping that Taemin could enlighten him.

                         Taemin wanted to tell Key the truth, but something made him stop. If Jonghyun hyung told Key umma that they’re just friends, then Jonghyun hyung must have his own reason.

                         Taemin tried to cheer his umma up by changing the subject. “Well, umma. Do you remember the university that we’re studying at now?” Taemin tried to steer the conversation to safer topics.

                         Key closed his eyes. “Yes, I remember. I remember that my dorm is at Block A, on the fifth floor, right?” Key finally says, unsure of what he just said.

                         Taemin smiled. “So you haven’t lost all your scramble egg brain, after all, huh, umma?” Taemin chuckled.

                         “Yah! Taemin, it’s not like I want to lose my memory! I think I remember most things though… like I was in a car accident, right? But I don’t remember why or how. And I definitely don’t remember Jonghyun. ” Key’s expression turned sad again at remembering Jonghyun.

                         “Well, umma. Look on the bright side. At least you didn’t lose all of your memory and you should really be grateful that you don’t have to repeat your courses!” Taemin tried to cheer Key up again.

                         Minho and Jonghyun walked in. Key looked up at Minho. “Ah, I’m sorry… but do I know you? I really can’t remember.” Key asked Minho, an apologetic smile on his face.

                         “It’s alright. I’m Minho, same age as you but I’m a freshman. I’m studying in the same class as Taemin. We got to know each other after Taemin introduced me to you.”

                         “Oh. I see. I just remembered, is Onew hyung here? If I didn’t remember wrong, Onew hyung is my roommate, right? Call that pabo and ask him why he isn’t here to visit me yet.” Key said with a smile.

                         “He’s on his way.” Jonghyun said. All the time he had been quiet in the corner of the room. Key looked at Jonghyun when he finally spoke. Again, Key felt really confused about his feelings for Jonghyun. I should probably just ignore my feelings and treat him as a friend. That’s what he said we were. He would probably freak out if his friend suddenly woke up and confessed his love to him when he claims he doesn’t remember him, Key thought.

                         Jonghyun seemed to know what Key was thinking eventhough Key didn’t say anything. Minho and Taemin were talking but Key and Jonghyun were silent. They looked into each other’s eyes and for that one second, Jonghyun could’ve sworn he saw recognition in Key’s eyes. Before he could jump on that wagon of hope though, it was gone.

                         Jonghyun sighed and tried to engage in Taemin and Minho’s conversation. So did Key. But they couldn’t stop thinking about each other and it was driving them crazy. Thank goodness, Onew walked into the room at that time, out of breath.

                         “Key. What. The. Heck. Happened?!” Onew asked the room full of his friends, still trying to catch his breath.

                         They laughed at Onew’s typical Onew Condition. Onew always seemed to lighten the mood when he walked into a room. The atmosphere in the room seemed to feel happy for a second.

 

**************

                         Key finally got discharged from the hospital. He still had to go back regularly for checkups, but he was glad that he can finally continue his life as normal as possible. Except that with Jonghyun always on his mind, that was almost impossible.

                         Jonghyun fetched Key out of the hospital. They don’t usually drive, as their university was just a short walk to almost everything. But for that day, Jonghyun drove his red Ferrari around to pick Key up. Jonghyun had driven to the florist and bought a bouquet of pink roses, which was Key’s favorite, before going to the hospital. It was only on the way to the hospital that he realized that Key is just his friend now and nothing more. He set the bouquet on the back seat, like how he was trying to stash his feelings on the back seat.

                         Jonghyun knocked on Key’s room door and went in. Key was packing up, checking for a last time to make sure he didn’t leave anything behind.

                         Key smiled at Jonghyun and continued packing. Key’s back was facing Jonghyun and Jonghyun had the urge to hug him from behind. But I can’t do that now, Jonghyun thought. Key turned around, as if he could sense that Jonghyun was staring at him. He found Jonghyun leaning against the door frame. Jonghyun’s eyes seem to found his at the same time.

                         Okay. I have to admit that that guy is beyond gorgeous. Oh and look and those arms. Muscular as hell. And those puppy dog eyes. That face that somehow resembles a dinosaur, but a cute version. Key’s thoughts of Jonghyun ran through his head before he could even stop himself.

                         It hurt Jonghyun that they were standing there like strangers, when they were once so close. Jonghyun watched as Key ran his eyes over Jonghyun’s body. Jonghyun could see that Key liked what he saw and in a way, it cheered Jonghyun up a bit. Then Jonghyun remembered that just last week, Key would be familiar with his body. Jonghyun sighed. It was his own fault. If he wasn’t so suspicious, Key wouldn’t have had to go through this pain. Other than that, how can he cope with his own pain? So this is what I get for not appreciating those who love me? Jonghyun asked no one in particular.

                         Key blushed when he realized that Jonghyun was staring at him while he was staring at Jonghyun. Jonghyun couldn’t help a smile playing at his lips when he saw Key blushing. This was like going back to when they first met. Well, if this was the case, then I’ll just have to go along with it. Maybe this is a second chance at getting things right. Maybe this is a second chance to start things fresh. If he had to play this game, he might as well play it while looking on the bright side of things.

                         “Well, are you done packing?” Jonghyun finally asked.

                         “Erm… yeah. Let’s go.”

                         Key set down his bag in the back seat. He caught sight of the pink roses. He smiled and picked up the bouquet. “Are these for me?” Key asked Jonghyun while he buried his nose in the bouquet.

                         Oh . Oh crap crap crap! I totally forgot I had the bouquet there! Ohmygosh what do I do what do I do?! Jonghyun thought franticly.

                         “Well, yeah. They’re your favorite.” Jonghyun said that much more calmly than he actually felt. It wasn’t a question. It was a statement. He knew for a fact that they always cheered Key up.

                         Key froze for a moment. He knows what type of flowers I like. He even had the bouquet wrapped in pink. Again, Key was surprised by how much this guy seemed to know him.

                         Key hugged the bouquet and got into Jonghyun’s car. Jonghyun started to drive and Key wasn’t sure but he could see that they weren’t on the way back to campus.

                         “Jonghyun, where are we going?” Key asked. He wasn’t nervous or afraid. Somehow, this guy made him feel safe. He took his breath away, but Key feels safe in his presence.

                         “It’s a surprise, bummie.” Jonghyun smiled mysteriously.

                         Key froze for a second time that day when he heard what Jonghyun called him. Bummie? Why does that sound so familiar? Why does it sound so right when he said it? Why does that simple nickname make his heart beat fast? Why does hearing Jonghyun say it make me want to smile?

                         Key was going crazy. He wanted to know, he needed to know.

 

Author's note :  Alright, so the next chapter will be about their surprise date thingy. For the 2min shippers out there, be patient for a while. The 2min action/romance might be in the next few chapters, no guarantee though! sorry for the suspense anyway :P again, thanks for reading!

P/S. - And I just realised that I actually planned for this story to be only about 10 chapters long, but now that I'm writing it, it seems like it will be longer than I thought. Bear with me, will ya? ;D Oh and comments/suggestions are always welcome, even comments on my fonts. If you have any thoughts about my story, please do not hestitate to comment,aite?