That Clown In A Glass Castle

Robotronic Turns Into A Loverholic

Taemin POV (in the car)

I am going home again, oh no, it is just a house, not a home, it is hell. Ugh. Many things had happened in just a week: I had multiple verbal fights with Key (the usual), Minho making me guilty by his innocent stares whenever I fight with Key, some school works that are useless and nonsense at all, and that stupid puppy that keeps on smiling at me. Sometimes, I even wonder if he is really 21; he is like a child! He keeps on smiing and smiling and smiling and smiling! I don't even know if he knows how to be mad or anything that is the opposite of the word 'happy'.  I hate him. Oh no. It isn't like that I hate him as him, but it is just... I envy him; despite the fact that his parents are away from him in a faraway land, he is still jolly. Even though he was scolded for being late the other day, he still smiled while he said 'I'm sorry I'm late'. If I was him, I would have just sat down at my chair without saying a word. His smiles irritate me, all because I can't beam like he is doing. His laughs, I hate it because I can't figure out the reason why he is always happy. He has many friends around him, he is smart, he is--

"Young master, are you okay?"

"Aigoo Seungri, don't mind me." I said in my usual straight tone. "Just keep driving."

"Young master, I can't drive when you are all like that. Even without showing your expression, I know you are sad." Awww, that is why I don't want Seungri fired, even he is somewhat a , he is a very kind guy. I have to admit that he makes my way back to my house a happy and funny one, because of his stories of his childhood. I envy Seungri as well. He is like a brother to me.

"Don't call me young master for God's sake, Ri, you know how I look up to you/." I replied with a straight face, but I know that he will know what I am implying.

"Okay fine dongsaeng," he chuckled, "What bothers you?"

"There is a guy in class." I mumbled in a low tone, "and he is always smiling and happy. By the way he is the same age as you."

"Eh? Same age?"

"He studied late, because he had no money, until his parents worked abroad."

"I never knew you could pay attention like that to somebody." that statement made me frown. "What do you mean?"

"You never remember  the things people that aren't important to you are telling."

I was startled, "Hey! It is not that way!"

"I am just joking Tae,"  he laughed from his seat, "so this guy is?"

"Kim Jonghyun. It is just... he always smiles and laughs. He does not know the meaning of the word 'sad'."

"So you are jealous?"

"No." I growled as I removed the band that holds my uneven hair strands.

"Aigoo what happened to your hair!?" I didn't know he is looking at me through the mirror.

"I cut it, first day of school."

"Huh? Why?"

"The principal said I can't have long hair so I cut it in front of the faculty. Then when I went out,  Key pulled my hair and we were involved in a fight. He added insut to the injury."

"You really like making scenes, don't you?" I saw him facepalm.

"Yeah."

"Then why didn't you had a haircut the day that happened? It is almost 1 week that you have that... that--"

"Yeah. Sh*t."

"I am not saying anything." he whistled. "well I will cut that once we reach the house!"

"You know how to cut?" I asked, amused, and I saw him pout. "You forgot that I was once a haircutter?"

"Oh." I nodded in approval, "aren't you planning of coming back? I know that that is your passi--"

"I won't leave until I see you a happy kid you used to be.." he said that with a serious but sincere tone.

I didn't answer.

======================================================================================================

Jonghyun POV

My first month here is really pleasant; almost all Year 3 students are my friends.. Except this guy Taemin. I can't believe how I am not able to befriend this kid when we sitting beside each other for a month already, whilst I can befriend someone in even just five minutes. No matter how much I try to pry out information of why he is such a jerk, my efforts went to no avail. I just want to befriend him. Yah Kim Jonghyun, stop pouting, you are a man. He goes home early once it is dismissal, while most of us would stay behind and have chit chats with each other. He is very distant to everybody, and everybody is distant to him. When passing test papers backward. and the person behind them is Taemin, they would stand up, place a test paper to Taemin's desk, and pass the remaining papers to the person behind Taemin. Everyone seems afraid of him. Well who would be not, just his stare can kill you and everytime Key tries to pick a fight to him, he would shot back with stinging words, or if ever he wants to fight back, he will throw Key's things from our third floor to the first floor, with a straight face, not even a smirk on his lips. The only instance I saw Taemin change his facial expression again is that when he slapped Key on front of his class when Key made Minho carry a very heavy and bulky speaker that Key will use for his dance practice. At least, I know that he still has a heart. Later that day, I saw him comforting Minho who is crying under the shade a tree. He is patting the other's back and wiping his big nerdy glasses, of course with his usual straight face. Sometimes, I even wonder how a strong man and handsome guy like Minho is being Key's maid. He deserves to be treaten like a person and man, not a dog. And about Taemin, I don't understand why he isolates himself from the beautiful world.

End of POV

Jonghyun was strolling his way home when he saw Minho walking on the same road too.

"Choi Minho, right?" he asked, going closer to Minho. Minho gave him a very happy nod, happy that someone recognized him.

"How did you know me, Jonghyun-sshi?" he asked, and Jonghyun smiled, "Of course, you are from Year 3-B."

"And you are from Year 3-A neh, classmates with Taemin?" Minho said as they entered an ice cream parlor.

"Yep." Jonghyun said as he went to the counter. "2 chocolate gelatos, please."

"J-Jonghyun-sshi I have n-no money..." Minho stuttered as he hung his head low, and Jonghyun chuckled, "My treat."

Things went on too fast and after 15 minutes, the two boy had been like they are friends since childhood.

"I hope this is not an offending question, but why are you letting Key-sshi be like that to you?" Jonghyun asked as he stared at Minho's uneasy movements.

Minho fidgeted a little at the question, but he forced a smile to trace to his lips. "Well I was poor, like you, but I had been friends with Key and Taemin since we were toddlers."

"Taemin was friends with Key?" Jonghyun's eyes widened at the fact he is hearing. "Didn't you know the story? Okay, I would tell you but please, keep it as a secret." Jonghyun nodded at the agreement.

"And my family had a debt with Key's family, so I am forced to be Key's personal assistant since..." Minho stopped for a while and counted with his fingers, "we awee grade 4?"

"What!?" Jonghyun exclaimed in disbelief, "you had been someone's slave for 8 years aleady?" Minho nodded. "I would have to be his slave, until the debt was paid in full."

"How much will it take for the debt to be paid?"

"1 week more?"

"So after a week you can live a normal lif--" "Yes."

"Congratulations!" Jonghyun cheered at Minho who is beaming widely now. "But well, there is a different side of the story as well."

"What is it?"

"About Taemin and Key."

"Huh? Oh yes. How did they became enemies?" Jonghyun asked in anticipation as Minho began opening his mouth to speak.

"So here is the one that you really need to keep from others. Can I count on you?"

"Yes of course."

"Okay then... Do you know the kid Taemin was talking about, the one he befriended but just used his money?"

"I know that story, but I don't know who it was."

"It is Key." Minho said and Jonghyun's mouth gapped in shock. "How? But Key is rich! He doesn't need any of Taemin's riche--"

"Key's parents just used to be shareholders of Taemin's family's company, but gradually, as Key and Taemin were getting clsoer, Taemin was unconsciously teling Key some of the company's secrets in becoming rich, and Key's parents suddenly resigned from their company. And later on, Taemin's family then knew that Key's family had established their company too."

"The frigging..." Jonghyun was lost in words at the revelation. "Traitors!"

"Yes they are." Minho sighed, "many people just knew that Taemin was betrayed in childhood, but then, they don't know the whole story and who it is."

"So that explains his lack of emotions." Jonghyun began connecting the events like dots scattered around a paper. "That is one of the reasons Taemin can't befriend others, even his parents already died. He is still afraid."

"Dead?"

"Yes. He is living with his grandfather who treats him like he was just a heir of the company. No love at all."

"I'm kinda understanding his unemotional demeanor now." Jonghyun said as he listened through the story.

"I see that you are trying to befriend him, so please, make sure you won't hurt him in any way. If you do, I may not be involved in the situation. I will not be cold to you or what, because we are friends too, but think of his feelings. He may not be showing them, but he still has feelings. Think of the life you will destroy. I am sure you wouldn't want to destroy his future."

"I won't, mark my word." Jonghyun grinned at Minho.

===================================================================================

Taemin POV

"Group yourselves into two." seonsaengnim's voice hollered in the class. I saw everyone standing up to find his/her partner except Jonghyun hyung who is beside me. He is grinning widely, maybe he has some bright idea encircling in that brain of his.

"Does everyone have a partner?" a lot of 'yes' were heard in response of the teacher's question. "Jonghyun-sshi, do you have a partner already?" seonsaengnim asked him, and I was honestly not prepared on what happened next.

"Lee Taemin-sshi!" he beamed as he raised my hand all of a sudden. And I was like, "huh?" and I can't hide the surprised look on my face. This is the very first time in many years that someone voluntarily chose me as a groupmate or partner. Usually, when I am not counted in a group, the teacher will force them to accept me.

I leaned in to his ear to whisper, "Are you nuts? Do you know what you are trying to do?" he just gave me a smile and nodded at the teacher.

"Okay then. What you will all do with yoru partner is have a debate with him/her. The duo with the most impressive debate will have the highest grade in recitation."

Debate with a teammate? Weird. And I was never good in debates. I just say the things I have in mind but I know that most of them are negative and non-agreeable by most of the people.

"What are we gonna do?" he asked me, but I didn't nudge. When I was about to put on my earphones, he held my hand. "We only have 10 minutes to talk about the topic we want to debate about, so please cooperate." I didn't speak, but then he said in a quite stern voice, "Talk to me because at least, I am your hyung, and I think I deserve some ounce of respect." I am taken back by what he said, so I just answered, "Okay. About the beautiful world you are believing in. You will talk about positive things while I will say things that contradict your beliefs. No need for planning, because the words wll come off naturally from our mouths."

"Time's up!" we heard the teacher yell. "Now present your debates."

Every team has stood up already on the front to debate, except us. As I observed, there are some students that talked about meaningful topics, such as the effects of Seoul's industrialization in the country, effective parenting styles, the values that kids get when watching TV dramas, and still, some debated about undeniably stupid topics such as Exo is better than any K-pop group,  who is the richest in the school campus, and who is the real b*tch of our school. They used different names for the school diva candidates, but I know that I am included in the list, the top 2 I guess, Key still being the top 1 diva. These people, they really don't know what they are talking about. They know nothing about me.

End of POV

Jonghyun POV

Our turn now. I don't know if Taemin's style of on-the-spot answers will work, but okay, here it is already. I will just say the words that I know are reasonable, not just the things that comes from my heart.

I started, "Is the world revolving around money or love?"

He quickly shot back, "Money for me."

"Why?" I asked. "All my life revolved around money. I believe that everything can be bought by money."

This kid says what comes from his experiences in my opinion. "Well, love can't be bought by money."

The room is deadly silent, probably because they are listening to each of our sides. The only sounds that I can hear is the whiting of the wind form outside that flies to Taemin's now mushroom-shaped hair while he speaks. He spoke with conviction in his voice. We continued exchanging thoughts in 5 minutes.

"It is impossibe you will live happily with just money."

"I don't know what is love at all. I felt nothing of that in my whole life." as he said those words, I saw his eyes, those eyes that have no hope and life in them, that began getting moist in my point of view. Wait, are his eyes forming tears?

The bell suddenly rang and it disturbed my thought of what to answer. Then we heard applause.. wait, applause? Yes! Applause from our classmates and teacher.

"You made me cry." Luna said as she sneezed in her handkerchief, Onew comforting her. Now that I turned to the class, I noticed that there in every face is an expression that I can't tell of, whether they are sad or happy, I just know that they are moved by us.

"Good job, Lee and Kim. Now I therefore announced that Jonghyun-sshi and Taemin-sshi will have the grade of 100 in their recitation. Now go and eat your lunch." the teacher said as he went out of the classroom.

I thought everyone already left room, but Taemin is still there, standing, and I know that he isn't aware of the fact that a tear had slipped from his eyes. He just stood there with a blank face.

"Here." I smiled as I gave Taemin a handkerchief, but he won't take it, as he just stood there without saying anything or making a movement.Then I just wiped the tear that fell from his eye... is that an illusion or is it really true? I smiled again, "I know life is hard, but we can always get over with the hardships you are experiencing. Fighting!" and then I saw him gave me a nod, his straight face on again.