Pitiful Prince

Back to Joseon

“Lady Lee is here to check on Prince Jiho, as ordered by the King.” One of the soldiers accompanying Minhee told one of the servants outside Prince Jiho’s quarters.

The girls moved to make way for Minhee and the soldiers. The three entered the room and saw the prince smiling while playing with a white rectangular thing in his hand.

“Ah, she’s so cute!” The three heard the prince say as he giggled. One of the soldiers faked a cough to tell the prince about their presence.

Minhee raised an eyebrow and tried to look at what Prince Jiho was holding. She widened her eyes as she realized what it is. “Hey! Is that my phone?!”

Prince Jiho looked up only to see Minhee glaring at him. He quickly hid the white rectangular thing behind his back. “W-What are y-you doing h-here, w-weird girl?”

“What are you doing with my phone? That’s mine, right?” Minhee came near the prince as she struggled to get her phone, but Prince Jiho didn’t want to give it back.

“N-No. It is already mine! You left it yesterday here. Finders keepers.”

“No way! I need to call my brother! Give it back to me!” She aggressively jumped on him, and since he is still weak due to his illness, he was pushed on the floor with Minhee on top of him. Both of them widened their eyes as their noses touched. They stared at each other for quite a while, until the soldier spoke up.

“Lady Lee. Prince Jiho.”

Minhee blinked until she came back to her senses and quickly grabbed her phone from the still flabbergasted prince. “Ha! Gotcha!” She stood up and stuck her tongue out at Prince Jiho.

“Yah! That’s totally disrespectful!” He turned towards the soldiers. “You should arrest this girl. She doesn’t know how to give respect to the prince.”

“But, Prince Jiho. The King ordered us to bring her here so she can find a way to cure your illness.” The soldier explained.

“Huh? My brother already met her and he didn’t punish her?”

The two soldiers nodded.

“She’s going to cure me?” He eyed Minhee from head to toe. “Are you sure about that? Because she looks younger than me. I don’t think she can give the right medicine.” Prince Jiho let out a mocking chuckle.

Minhee rolled her eyes. “Do you think I will help an arrogant pathetic boy like him? Hell, no!” She turned around and grabbed her backpack from the soldiers. “I’m leaving!”

“But, Lady Lee!” The soldiers blocked her way. “You are the only one who might cure the prince. Even the palace doctors don’t know what to do anymore. You are the only hope. The King is having faith on you.”

Upon hearing this, Prince Jiho looked down and tears started rolling on his cheeks. He already accepted the fact that his end is near, but it makes him sadder knowing that his brother is still hoping that he will be cured.

“I already told your king that I don’t have any medical background, so why rely on me?”

“The King, I believe, saw that you look like you are from a place where knowledge is more advanced, so maybe you can help the prince. Even if you don’t practice dark magic as you defended earlier, we know that you are not just an ordinary person.  Please, Lady Lee! I’m begging you to save the Prince.”

“STOP IT!” Prince Jiho shouted. “Don’t beg her for my sake. I am not asking for any of that girl’s help.” He glanced at Minhee. “Leave! I don’t need you!”

“As you wish.” Minhee stepped outside of the prince’s quarters and asked the servants where the way to the palace gates is.

“You should go straight ahead, and then when you see a cherry blossom tree near a well, turn to the left following the path. Then you will see the chamber of the Queen Mother. You should turn right and walk straight ahead. You will pass by the palace kitchen, and you need to turn left after another well. Just follow the walkway and you will eventually see the palace gates.”

Minhee nodded as she tried to process all the information the servant told her. She bowed and thanked her before walking on her own.

“Aish! Why do they build such a complicated palace! I hope I won’t get lost.” She reached her phone from her pocket and looked at it. “What?! It doesn’t have any signal? How can I contact Minhyuk oppa now?”

Did I really travel back to ancient Korea? She thought sadly as her eyes roamed around the traditional-looking environment.

Adjusting the strap of her backpack, she continued her way to the palace gates, but stopped when she forgot what the servant told her where to go.

“Oh no! I’m doomed!” She hit her head multiple times until she heard another voice.

“You must be Lady Lee.”


Just a short chapter~

Thank you to all the subbies! Kindly leave a comment of what you think about this story, so I know if I'm on the right track. Haha! :)) Criticisms are also welcome. Everyone needs improvement, right? ^^