A Special Morning

Back to Joseon

The whole palace is so busy the next morning. All the servants are preparing the food, greeting the people coming into the palace, and arranging all the things needed. The royal musicians are checking and arranging their instruments, while the dancers and other performers are already rehearsing with their bright and colorful dresses. The smell of roasted chicken, pork barbecue, and grilled beef are coming out of the palace kitchen.

Yes, it’s the King’s special day.

 

 

*Yawn*

“Hmm…” Minhee felt a pair of arms wrapped around her waist when she woke up that morning. She slowly opened her eyes trying to debate with herself if she should go back to sleep. The warmth is pulling her back to dreamland, but then remembered what day is today. As she fully opened her eyes, a bare chest greeted her. She smiled again and closed her eyes, burying her face on the person’s torso. As she did this, she felt that the person tightened the hug, closing every possible distance between them.

“Good morning, Minhee.” She heard him mumble.

“Morning… Did I wake you up?”

“No. I was already awake even before you opened your eyes.”

Minhee pulled away a bit to look at his morning face. She admired how cute he looked with his still-sleepy eyes, rosy cheeks, and plump lips. “But you stayed. Were you watching me sleep?”

“I can’t ignore a beautiful face beside me greeting me when I woke up.” The person smiled and pecked her lips.

“When did you become so cheesy, huh?” She playfully hit his chest and giggled. “Come on. We need to get up now or we’ll be late for the celebration.”

He pulled her closer, burying his face on the crook of her neck. “Let’s stay like this for a while. Don’t mind the banquet. It won’t start without us.”

Minhee closed her eyes feeling his breath on her neck as she recall what happened the night before and the reason why she ended up beside him this morning.

 

She bid goodbye to the King and walked towards her quarters. As she stepped inside, a smile greeted her.

“Minhee.”

“W-What are y-you doing h-here?” She stuttered as she saw him.

“Come sit.” The person patted the space beside him, motioning her to sit there.

She cautiously went towards him, eyeing the guy as she sat.

“W-Why…” He cut her off as he put a finger on her lips.

“Sshh…” Then, he tucked some hair behind her left ear. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for ignoring you earlier.” He looked down and took her hands in his, as Minhee followed his actions with her gaze not knowing what to do. “Minhee…” He looked at her straight in the eyes.

“Y-Yes?”

“Why did you leave me there without letting me voice out my side?”

“W-What..?”

“After telling me that you like me, you left me hanging.”

She blushed, remembering her shameless confession earlier, and looked away from him.

“You left without hearing what I’m going to say.”

“T-Then…w-what are you g-going to say?” Her heart beat fastened its pace.

“Look at me.”

She shyly looked at him in the eyes, making her cheeks heat up.

“I like you, too.”

She froze at what she heard coming out from his mouth.

“I like you, Minhee. I have the same feelings towards you. I was shocked at your confession earlier and my mind wasn’t able to process it properly. I thought about it after you left, and I decided to come here tonight to tell you that I like you as well.” He smiled.

“Jiho.” That’s the only thing that came out from before the prince crashed his own lips with hers.

He wrapped his arms around her waist, and Minhee followed snaking her own arms around Jiho’s neck deepening the kiss. After a while, Minhee pulled away biting her lips. Both of them were left panting, breathing heavily for some air.

“Don’t bite your lips. It makes me want to kiss you again.” He smirked.

She fixed her eyes on him, biting harder on her lips before opening . “Then do it.”

Both of them chuckled as Prince Jiho pecked her lips. “Minhee, promise me one thing.”

“Hmm?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Promise me that your heart will never change whatever happens tomorrow, okay?” The prince stared at her sincerely, while waiting for her answer.

“Why would my heart suddenly change? It won’t. That’s a promise.” She gave him a smile, before she pulled the prince and kissed again.

Soon after, sleep visited them and they cuddled as they went to dreamland together.

 

Prince Jiho looked up at her face and noticed the smile on her lips.

“What are you thinking, Minhee?”

“Nothing.” She pulled his arms away from him. “Come on. We still need to get dressed for the royal banquet.”

“Ahhhh~” Jiho whined. “Can we just stay here all day? I don’t want to get up and face all those people. It’s not my birthday, anyway.”

“But it’s your brother who is celebrating his birthday, and this may be the most important birthday he will have.” Minhee carefully stood up, taking off the blanket on her. She opened her closet and changed into a new hanbok, throwing Jiho’s clothes on him after. “Go, change.”

“Yah! Why are you so mean all of sudden?” The prince cried.

She stuck her tongue out at him. “Hurry up or I will leave you now and go to King Jiseok.”

“W-What?!” He immediately stood up. “What do you mean by that?” He quickly put on his clothes while Minhee watched her. “What do you mean you’ll leave me? Yah! Answer me!”

“Because you’re so slow, I’m going to the banquet first to greet your brother a happy birthday.”

Prince Jiho sighed in relief. “Ah, I thought you meant something.”

She tilted her head and furrowed her eyebrows. “What were you thinking, then?”

“Nothing.” He grabbed Minhee’s hand and wrapped it around his arm. “Come on.”

“Okay!”

As they stepped outside Minhee’s quarters, the prince leaned in closer to her. “Remember what you promised me last night. Your heart will never change whatever happens today.”

“Heh! You know… As I think about it, I’m the one who should be telling you that. There will be lots of beautiful girls in the palace today. Plus, they all came from rich families. You might just dump me later on because they are much better.” Minhee pouted.

He pulled her closer. “Aish! You’re so oblivious!”

“Oblivious of what?”

“You’ll find out later. Just remember your promise, okay?”

“Okie-dokie!” Minhee tiptoed and pecked Prince Jiho’s lips. “I promise!”