Confessions

Back to Joseon

“Hi Jiho!”

Prince Jiho glanced at the girl who greeted him, but quickly turned back to reading a book in his desk.

“What are you reading?” Minhee sat across him.

“None of your business.”

“Eh?” Minhee raised an eyebrow. “If you’re going to ask about what I bought for your brother…” She was cut off by Jiho.

“I’m not going to ask. I’m not interested.”

She pouted at Jiho’s remark. “Then, let me just tell you about what happened earlier. It’s my first time to go outside the palace and it was really fun!”

“So?” The prince said without looking at her.

“Anyway, Areum told me that tomorrow will also be the selection of the new Queen.”

Jiho stiffened as Minhee mentioned about it.

“I’m guessing lots of beautiful girls will be here in the palace tomorrow for the King to choose. I’m sure you will also enjoy looking at those girls, eh?”

“What’s meant for the King is only for the King.” The prince stated.

“But admit it. You’re also excited to see beautiful ladies from the noble families. I heard that they are not allowed to go outside their houses unless it’s for a royal celebration. They are well-kept by their parents to be offered to the King as his wives. It’s a privilege to see them!”

“Just shut up.”

“Hey! Why are you so cold towards me?” She snatched the book away from him.

“Give it back to me!”

“No.”

Jiho moved the desk to the side and went closer to Minhee to take his book back. “Give it to me.”

Minhee shook her head. “No. Answer me first why you’re ignoring me.”

“Give it back.” The prince demanded, but what happened next surprised him.

Minhee lunged forward and crashed her lips against his. The prince widened his eyes at the sudden contact. They stayed like that for a while before Minhee pulled away. “Don’t be so cold towards me. I hate the feeling of being ignored by the person I like.” She told Jiho as she stood up and turned her back at him. “I’m going. See you at the banquet tomorrow.”

She walked away, leaving a stunned prince behind.

“She… She likes me?”

 

That night, Minhee wandered inside the palace thinking about what she did earlier. “Aish! I’m really stupid! Why did I even do that?! Now, I can’t face him. He’s probably laughing at me right now.” She hit her head multiple times and pouted. “It’s so stupid of me to think that he feels the same way towards me. It will never happen. No one really likes me, even Yukwon oppa back in our place.” She saw a small stone on the way and kicked it.

“Why are you talking to yourself?”

Minhee got surprised at the voice, and she turned around. She even got more shocked when she saw who it is.

“Or… do you have powers to talk to people I can’t see…? He raised an eyebrow.

“D-Did you hear w-what I was saying earlier?”

“Don’t worry. I didn’t. I just heard you mumbling to yourself.”

She sighed in relief. “Oh.”

“Is there something bothering you?”

Minhee looked down at her feet. It’s…nothing.” She gave him a small smile. “I just miss my brother. That’s all.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

The King laughed. “Why are you being so formal right now?”

“Because….” She thought for a while. “Because, it’s the proper way to address the king?”

“I’m not used to a formal Minhee. Not even a sad Minhee. Cheer up, won’t you?” King Jiseok tried to make her feel better.

Minhee looked at him. “Anyway… you told me earlier that it’s your birthday tomorrow.”

The King nodded.

“But you didn’t mention about choosing your new Queen. The servants were the one who told me about it.”

“Oh, that.” King Jiseok smiled. “What did they tell you?”

“You must choose your soon-to-be wife on your 25th birthday, and there will be ladies from noble families going tomorrow for you to choose from.” Minhee said.

“That’s all they told you?”

“Hmm… Areum mentioned about you not giving any interest in the previous girls who visited you, so they are kind of worried about the selection of the new queen. Anyway, you still have your ministers and Queen Mother to decide, but it’s unfortunate to marry someone you’re not interested with.”

King Jiseok chuckled. “I know. Even I don’t want to marry someone I don’t like.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Minhee furrowed her eyebrows.

“I actually have someone in mind already.” The King looked intently at Minhee’s eyes.

“Oh, that’s great! Then you won’t have any problem now.” She beamed. “I’m also worried about you, but hearing that you already have someone makes me feel relieved.”

“Are you?”

Minhee nodded.

“However…”

“There is still a problem?” She tilted her head to the right while looking at the king.

“The ministers are against her being the queen. Also, I don’t know if she likes me back.”

She giggled. “What are you talking about? I bet she likes you! Everyone would love to be the King’s apple of the eyes. And the ministers? Don’t mind them. They’re just ministers, you’re the King!” Minhee gave King Jiseok a grin.

“Do you really think that she likes me back?” He asked Minhee.

“Yes, of course! If she doesn’t, she will eventually like you. That’s for sure! In fact, that girl is lucky to have a kind and handsome king liking her.”

“Thank you, Minhee. That gave me confidence.” He patted her head and smiled.

“Sure, no problem! Is she going to be at the banquet tomorrow? Will I be able to see the lucky girl that captured King Jiseok’s heart?” Minhee inquired.

“You’re going, right?”

“Yes. I won’t miss your birthday celebration.”

“Then, you’ll find out about her.” He gave her one last smile before bidding goodbye. “It’s already late. You need to sleep now or you will find it difficult to wake up for the morning banquet.”

“Okay. You, too! It’s your special day so you need to get lots of rest for it. I bet the ladies also want to see a glimpse of the handsome king.” Minhee told him before waving and heading straight to her quarters.

King Jiseok watched her walk until he lost sight of her, before smiling to himself as he walked towards the King’s chambers.

 


Sorry for the late update! I was so busy with work. :((
But, look! I got a new poster from Grimmy of Mystic Garden Graphics Shop. Taewoon (Jiseok) was added, and I guess you're now getting a clue about how the story will go. Haha!

Also, thank you for subscribing, commenting, and upvoting. Keep them coming! =))

 

P.S.
Keep on supporting Block B for them to win #1!