The Real Deal

Back to Joseon

Minhee’s thoughts were interrupted when someone knocked on her door. “It’s open.”

“I talked to mom. She won’t be sending money to buy you a new phone. She told me that that’s what you get for giving us heart attacks when you ran away.”

She looked up to see her brother leaning against the door frame. “I’m sorry.”

“Mom and Dad were actually planning to go on a trip to France with us for a week since it’s your summer vacation. But after they learned about your little escapade, they cancelled it.” Minhyuk told his sister.

“Sorry.” Minhee pouted. “I just wanted to go to Nami Island alone.”

“Were you really in Nami Island?” The older one raised an eyebrow.

Minhee widened her eyes and gulped. “Y-Yes…”

Silence.

She blinked at her brother. “Of course! Where else should I go?”

The older one smirked. “I just hope you had fun.” Minhyuk turned his back and put his hands in his jeans’ pockets. “Because you will be grounded until your classes in the university start.” Then, he walked away, not even closing the door.

Minhee sighed and lied down on her bed. “That’s three weeks from now. What am I going to do for three weeks inside this house?” She lazily took her iPad placed on the nightstand and unlocked it. She went to the Images and browsed through the photos. There she saw Jiho’s hundreds of selcas that made her smile unconsciously. “What are you doing now, my beloved prince?”

She remembered clearly how she jumped over the wall, leaving Prince Jiho behind and running away to find the soothsayer named Kim Gyuwook. She asked several people before being led to a shabby house where she saw a man around his 30’s or 40’s. She couldn’t believe that he was the soothsayer Jiho was saying, since she thought he would be someone old with long white moustache and beard, and not this all-smile black-haired with shaved-moustache man. Even if Minhee hesitated at first about his ability, she trusted him in the end and was able to be sent back to where she came from. She found herself falling on her bed right after, still wearing a hanbok, with her bag hitting her head really hard that it hurt. Being transported to Joseon… It wasn’t a dream after all! After changing her clothes and checking all her belongings, she found everything in place except for her phone that was missing. Two days had already passed since that day.

“I wonder where I dropped my phone.”

“Minhee!”

She quickly looked up and saw Yukwon standing near the open door.

“Oh, oh. Yukwon oppa.” She immediately put down her iPad and sat up. “W-Why are you h-here?”

“I came to check on you.” Yukwon smiled. “Can I come in?”

“Uhm… yeah, yeah. Sure.”

Yukwon sat beside Minhee on her bed. “I was so worried when Minhyuk called me telling me that you ran away last week. I even saw you, or so I thought, that night. Am I right? That’s the time when you ran away, right?”

Minhee nodded.

“Ah, I’m so stupid. I should have come after you! But you suddenly disappeared.”

“Heh! Oppa. I hid behind a wall so you won’t stop me.” Minhee grinned.

Yukwon ruffled her hair. “Aish! This girl!”

“Ah, stop it! My hair would me messy!” She grabbed Yukwon’s hand, pulling it away from her hair.

“As if you even brushed your hair.” Yukwon stuck his tongue out.

She was about to let go of his hand, when Yukwon kept holding on her. He looked at her straight in the eyes, making eye contact.

“I’m glad you’re safe now.” Yukwon softly said, leaning closer to her.

Minhee froze on her spot as Yukwon came nearer. What is he going to do? She panicked a little bit.

His lips met her right cheek, giving her a soft kiss. “I like you. That night that you ran away, that night that I saw you, was the night that I broke up with my girlfriend because I realized that you are the one that I actually like.”

“Yukwon oppa…” She whispered.

“Will you give me the chance to be with you?” Yukwon held her hand tightly. “Not just as a friend, but as your boyfriend…”

Minhee opened but wasn’t able to say something.

“I’m not rushing you. I can wait for your answer.” He gave her a sweet smile before patting her head. “Come downstairs. Minhyuk is cooking some ramen.” Yukwon stood up and waved his hand before going out her room, and then closed the door.

Minhee put her hands on her chest and felt her heart beat. Her gaze went to the closet where a piece of clothing was stuck on its doors. She stood up and opened it to fix the cloth that was stuck, only to be welcomed by the hanbok she wore on that same day that she was transported back to 2014. Then, she gasped, remembering something…

 

…or someone.

 

 “Jiho.”