The Escapade

Back to Joseon

Minhee threw her backpack out of the window, jumping after it to get out of the house.

“Ouch!” She hissed in pain as she fell on her . However, she quickly stood up grabbing her backpack with her. Smiling triumphantly, she ran away from their house heading nowhere.

“No one will look for me anyway. Taking a break for a week will surely be fun!” She told herself while adjusting the strap of her bag. She continued walking in the middle of the night until she heard a voice calling out to her.

“Minhee? Minhee!!”

She turned around only to see her brother’s best friend, Kim Yukwon. She froze not knowing what to do being caught by him. Being caught by the man she has been liking for years.

“Yukwon!” Another voice came out, making Yukwon look at the owner of the voice behind him.  “Hey, Kim Yukwon! Let’s go! What are you looking at?”

“Uhm… I saw Minhee there.” He said pointing at the direction of the girl.

“Minhee? Minhyuk’s pretty sister? Where?” The other guy looked at where Yukwon is pointing but found no one. “Yah! Don’t joke like that. You know that I like her but don’t make it an excuse for wandering around. Come on, let’s go!”

“But I think I really saw her.” Yukwon scratched the back of his head while looking around for Minhee.

“Don’t make Sunhye noona wait for you.” His friend grabbed his wrist and pulled him.

“Yah! Jaehyo hyung! I can walk by myself! I’m not a baby anymore!” Yukwon complained while wriggling his wrist to escape Jaehyo’s grip.

Minhee watched the two guys walk away before going out from her hiding place. She sighed in relief as she continued walking.

“That was so close. I wouldn’t let anyone ruin my escapade that I planned for five days. Not even Kim Yukwon. Hah! Now, all I need is to ride a shuttle going to Nami Island.” She told herself as she put her phone inside her pocket.

“Oh, look at what we have in here.”

Minhee turned to her side to see a man probably in her mid-40’s eyeing her from head to toe. She mentally hit her head for wearing shorts in the middle of the night.

“Are you alone little missy? Let me be your company.” The man smirked as he casually walked towards her.

She made her steps quicker before running away from the man, turning in the dark corner but finding a dead end. However, there she also spotted an old wooden door that seemed to magically appear, quickly opening it without second thoughts to hide from the man. She locked it without any noise and went further inside the dark room. But soon, the floor she is stepping on disappeared and found herself tumbling down an unknown dark hole.

“AAAAAAHHHHHH!”

*thug*

*umph*

Minhee plunged down on something not so hard but not so soft either. Her hands roamed for support and accidentally grabbed something.

“Y-YAHHH!!! WHO ARE YOU?!”

She looked down only to find out that she is sitting on the stomach of a young man lying down. Her gaze went towards her hand grabbing his…

“I AM ASKING WHO YOU ARE! AND DON’T TOUCH MY…”

Minhee quickly pulled her hand away and stood up. “I-I’m s-sorry. I didn’t mean to…” She’s obviously blushing when she realized what she was holding a while ago.

The man eyed her from head to toe with a scrutinizing look. “Tell me who you are. And you are not from here, are you? Where did you come from? Why do you look so weird, and…” The young man gulped and widened his eyes, as if realizing something. “A-Are y-you here t-to take m-me with you? D-Did I already d-die?”

Minhee scrunched up her eyebrows. “What are you talking about?! You’re still talking to me so you’re obviously not dead, yet. And I’m not the one who looks weird here. Who the hell wears hanbok nowadays? It isn’t Chuseok or Thanksgiving...” She chuckled. “And you even managed to get an all-white hanbok, huh?”

“Y-Yah! Watch your mouth, young miss! Do you even know who you are talking to?! And this is the appropriate attire for sleeping!”

She crossed her arms. “If you’re asking for respect, I know for myself that talking to someone while you’re lying down there is totally disrespectful. Such lazy ! Your handsome face is such a waste. BIG NOSE!!!”

“Now, you are ordering me to stand when the palace doctors told me to rest and not move? And who are you to intrude my quarters dressed inappropriately?”

“I’m not dressed inappropriately! Hello, Mr. Conservative Hanbok Guy! We’re in modern 2014 right now. For your information, people outside your so-called quarters are now dressed like this. I bet you are not going outside your own cave.” She smirked. “And now you have the guts to talk back at me when you were so afraid just minutes ago that I might take your life. Am I dead? Am I dead?” She mocked him and laughed. “Yes, you’ll die in my hands for talking back at me.” Minhee kicked his leg, making him hiss in pain.

“2014? Are you delusional? We are living in 1491, the reign of the Joseon Dynasty.”

Minhee laughed out loud and sat down beside the young man to flick his forehead. “Cut out your role play now. I’m not buying it.”

“Y-Yah! No one has ever dared hurt me!!!” He grabbed her hand and pulled her down to him. Minhee lost her balance and ended up crashing her lips on his. Her eyes widened at the contact and immediately pulled away.

“Then I’m the first one to hurt you.” She told him, a bit shy at what happened, while standing up and grabbing her backpack on the floor. “I’m going!”

She walked towards the entrance of the traditional-looking room, but stopped and looked back. “You’re hot… I mean sick hot, not y hot. You have a fever. Take some meds.” She turned and left.

The young man softly touched his lips as he watched her leave. “You are also my first kiss.” He mumbled.