Still Yours

Back to Joseon

*Three weeks after*

“Hey, Minhee!” A girl called Minhee as soon as she entered the gates of Yonsei University, which she is already a second year majoring in Political Science and International Studies. She looked at the direction of the voice and smiled.

The said girl took Minhee’s hand in hers and gazed at her cheerfully. “I missed you, bestfriend! But since the summer vacation is already over, you’re not grounded anymore, right?”

“Yes, Yeonju.” Minhee nodded.

“Great! We can hang-out together again!” Both of them walked towards their lockers. “But, Minhee! Do you already have a new replacement for your lost phone? I’m tired of chatting with you through Facebook.” Yeonju pouted.

“Oh, that… Eomma and Appa still don’t want to buy me a new phone. Sorry, you need to suffer a little bit longer.”

“Aish! Fine, fine.” Yeonju took out her class schedule for the semester. “By the way, what are your classes today?”

“Well…” Minhee took a look at her own schedule. “Today, I have History, then Global Studies, and Law.”

“Oh. What time is your History class?”

“9:30.” Minhee checked her watch. “Around five minutes from now.”

“We’re in the same class!” Yeonju jumped in joy. “But that’s the only class we both have. I failed the prerequisite subject to take Law, so I will not be able to take it this semester.” Her expression suddenly changed to a gloomy one.

“Hey, at least we have one class in common. Let’s go. I don’t want to be late for class.”

While walking down the hallway, Yeonju suddenly remembered something. “Minhee! If I’m not mistaken, another friend of mine told me that there is a new History professor here. This friend helped as an intern during the summer in the school faculty and saw him when he applied. She said that he’s really good-looking and hot. People won’t recognize him as a History professor. Do you think he will be our lecturer this semester?”

Minhee shrugged. “I’m here to learn, not to drool over teachers.”

Yeonju rolled her eyes. “Just because you have Yukwon oppa as your boyfriend, you’re already so mean with a single like me!”

“Who told you he’s my boyfriend? He’s not!” Minhee denied.

“Tsk! Why are you still playing so hard-to-get? We both know that you’ve been liking him ever since your brother introduced him to you. I know that he will be your boyfriend eventually.” Yeonju smiled.

“Whatever.” Minhee walked faster and entered the classroom. She sat on a chair in the second to the last row while Yeonju followed, sitting beside her.

“Leaving me like that, eh?”

“We’re going to be late.” Minhee said casually.

“But the professor is not yet here.”

As Yeonju says that, someone with blond hair entered the classroom. Some of the girls gasped, the others whispered to their seatmates while giggling, and the rest of the females had their jaws dropped, including Minhee. All eyes were now on the man in a white polo and black jeans standing in front of them.

Yeonju noticed how Minhee’s eyes were glued to their professor, so she nudged her with her elbow. “Minhee! Hey, Minhee!” Yeonju waved her hand in front of her best friend.

“Oh, y-yeah? You’re saying something?” Minhee blinked at her.

“Told you, he’s so good-looking. And hot!” Yeonju whispered.

“Uhm… Y-Yeah…” Minhee gulped. He looks exactly like Jiho, except for the hair color.

“He’s only two years older than us.” Yeonju made a thumb-up sign, and wiggled her eyebrows at Minhee. “Bet you, you forgot Yukwon oppa in a second.”

Minhee just rolled her eyes, and both of them looked in front as they heard someone clearing his throat.

“Good morning, class! This is History, right?”

“Yes, sir.” The class responded cheerfully.

They even have the same voice. Minhee thought.

“I’ll be your professor during this semester. I’m new here so let’s take care of each other, okay?” He smiled, making most of the girls melt in their seats. “My name is Woo Jiho, but you can call me Professor Jiho. First name basis would be much better than calling me Professor Woo, right? I want you to enjoy this class even if it seems a bit boring. I’ll do my best, and please do your best as well, okay?” The professor told the class in the friendliest way possible.

“Ah, I’ll make sure I won’t be absent in his class.” Yeonju mumbled.

“I will start calling your names to check your attendance, and also to put faces in this list of names I have with me. I hope you guys are fine with that.”

“Yes, sir.”

Professor Jiho started calling the names, while Minhee watched his every move. Why do I feel something strange about him? She was in deep thoughts when Yeonju poked her side.

“The professor is calling you.”

“Lee Minhee? Is she not here?” The professor furrowed his eyebrows. “Last call. Lee Minhee?”

“H-Here!” Minhee’s voice cracked as she raised her hand to inform him that she was there. Some of her classmates chuckled at her embarrassing scene.

“Oh. There you are.” Professor Jiho smiled at her, and Minhee could see a little sparkle in his eyes.

“Lee Sungjong?” He proceeded to call the other students.

After he was done, he gave out some papers containing the course outline of the class. “Those will be the topics that I will discuss all throughout the semester. We will be focusing mostly in the Joseon Period, which is one of the most interesting period in the history of Korea.” He smiled again. “I hope I gave you some motivation to study for this class. And since this is our first day, I’m dismissing you now and just enjoy the rest of the day. We will be starting with the lecture tomorrow. To those who have questions, you may stay. To those who don’t have, you can now leave. Thank you!”

Half of the class started exiting the classroom, mostly boys. Some of the girls chose to stay for a while to have a longer look on Professor Jiho and even talk with him.

“Hey, you want to stay?” Yeonju asked Minhee as the latter stood up from her seat.

“Nah. I’m going. How about you?”

“I want to… but, I need to go to the comfort room so badly.”

“All right. Let’s go.” Minhee started walking towards the door when a familiar voice called out to her. A voice she missed hearing after three weeks.

“Miss Lee Minhee.”

She turned around and stared at Professor Jiho who is also looking at her. Even the other girls paid attention to her.

“Can you stay for a while? I have something to discuss with you.” He gave her a smile that no one could refuse. Minhee nodded her head.

“Minhee, I’ll just meet you at the cafeteria? I really need to go to the comfort room.” Yeonju told her.

“Okay.” She waved her hand at Yeonju before taking a seat in one of the chairs in the front row. She watched her girl classmates ask unnecessary questions to the professor.

They really want to talk to him that bad? Asking his favorite color is not even class-related. Minhee thought. But wait. Why did he ask me to stay? Did I do something wrong? She furrowed her eyebrows, thinking for a while. Is it because of my behavior earlier during the attendance checking? Aish! Facing trouble in the first day of class... Not good, Minhee. Not good.

“What are you thinking about?” Professor Jiho interrupted her thoughts and she noticed that the other students already left the classroom. It’s just the two of them inside.

“Oh! Nothing, Professor Jiho.” She stood up and immediately bowed apologetically.

Instead of her expected ‘It’s all right, don’t mind it’ coming from the professor, she heard him laugh. WHY? What did I do now? Is there something funny on my face? She shyly touched her face checking if there’s something on it.

“Why are you so formal now, Minhee? Hmm?” He pursed his lips while looking at her.

“Ah, uhmm…” Damn. Minhee. What did you do?! You’re in very big trouble!!!

The professor came closer to her. “I asked you to stay because I think I have something with me that you own.”

“Huh?” Minhee blinked.

“You dropped this.” Professor Jiho took out a shiny white rectangular thing from his pocket. He took Minhee’s left hand and put it in there.

Her jaw dropped when she realized what it is. “My iPhone.”

“You dropped it when you jumped over the palace wall around three weeks ago.” Jiho smirked, making Minhee widened her eyes and looked at him from head to toe.

“Y-You…”

He chuckled and took her phone again. He pushed the circular button at the lower middle part and the screen lit up, showing the selca of Minhee and Prince Jiho they took last time. “I charged it. Sorry for draining the battery when I played Temple Run. And…my number is already there as well.” He grinned as he took out his own iPhone, in black. “Couple phones!”

“J-Jiho? Prince Jiho?”

He nodded.

Minhee came closer and pinched his cheeks, checking if the person in front of her is real. “You’re really here with me?” She whispered as she stared at his eyes. “You came here for me?”

He nodded while giving her the sweetest smile.

“But what happened to your hair?!”

“I bleached it. It looks like it’s the trend right now in Korea. I saw a lot of guys with blond hair, especially while watching that thing you modern people call as television, so I tried it. It’s so cool, right?” Jiho giddily said.

“You’re still the naïve prince I know.” Minhee rolled her eyes.

“Whatever year or era it is, I’m still your Jiho.” He gave her a loving smile and opened his arms, in which Minhee gladly ran into.

 

 

 

 

“Minhee, I’ll be expecting you to top my class. Please do well, okay?”

“Wait. What?!”