The Royal Banquet

Back to Joseon

THE MOST AWAITED BANQUET!

DUNDUNDUNDUUUUUN...

 


Everyone gathered in the palace amphitheater. The King was seated on the stage decorated with flowers and pieces of gold. His own throne was also made of gold, standing out from the rest of the chairs. The Queen Mother is on his right, while the Prince is on his left. Down the podium, the ministers occupied the tables on both sides. All the other guests were seated on the tables and chairs surrounding the center of the amphitheater where the performers will be. The palace servants were lined up at the back. Minhee is with the other relatives of the royal family, just near where the ministers are. Behind her are the women invited for the selection of the new Queen.

After the royal entertainers performed several songs, dances, and a short play, all the attention was now on the King. Everyone presented their gifts to him, most of them obviously trying to show off their wealth to all the others. Most of the women who are invited also wore their most expensive hanboks together with a lot of accessories, trying to win the attention of King Jiseok and even Prince Jiho.

“It’s the first time I saw King Jiseok. All the rumors about him being the most handsome man in this kingdom is definitely true. Just look at him. Oh, my King, let me be your Queen.” Minhee heard someone behind her say.

“Eh? I don’t agree with you. I think Prince Jiho is more handsome than the King. He’s definitely the one I like!” Another girl said, which made Minhee clenched her fists. She looked at the girls behind her and glared at them.

“Why are you looking at us like that?” The girl who likes Prince Jiho raised an eyebrow.

“Aish! I think she doesn’t agree with you that the prince is more handsome than the King. She’s on my side.” The other girl turned to her. “Right?”

“Whatever.” Minhee rolled her eyes and turned her back at the two, slumping on her seat.

“But, Prince Jiho is really more handsome!” She heard again the girls arguing, but now in a whisper.

Then, some women walked in front her. “I hope King Jiseok likes my gift.” One of them giggled.

“But I’m the one he noticed first.” The other said proudly.

“Anyway, did you see Prince Jiho? He is also a nice catch if I fail to be selected as the King’s wife.”

“Yes, I saw him. I saw him staring at me.” Another one noted, making Minhee look at the four of them from head to toe.

“Hah! In your dreams! I’m actually the one he’s looking at!” Another girl complained.

Minhee glared at them as they walk to their seats, and then she noticed the food served in front of her. Taking the chopsticks, she furiously chomped on the food, letting out all her anger.

 

 

“Everyone!” King Jiseok called the attention of all the people in the amphitheater. It looks like everybody has already given their presents to him. “Thank you for all the gifts. I appreciate all of them and I hope that all of us will continuously support each other in improving this kingdom. In line with that, I would like to inform you that our economy is getting better. More merchants and traders are now having interest on doing business with us, and thanks to everyone for making it possible. I hope that this development will continue in the long-run. Thank you!”

A round of applause was given to the King before he continued. “Today is my 25th birthday, and all of us know that according to our tradition, I should choose a wife to be the new Queen as I turn 25. That is also the reason why my birthday celebration today is not just like any other birthday celebration I had and will have. I saw that a lot of women from the noble families of our kingdom are invited, and I am grateful that you were able to attend this banquet.”

Everyone became quiet as the King talked about the selection of his wife. It is one of the most anticipated events in the whole kingdom every time there is a new King.

“However, before I proceed to that, I would like to tell you a story.”

All ears were on the King, except for Minhee who is still taking her time to eat her food.

“It was made known to the people of the kingdom that some weeks ago, my beloved brother, Prince Jiho, caught a severe illness.”

At the mention of Prince Jiho’s name, Minhee looked up and stopped eating.

“The palace doctors, who are the most excellent when it comes to health and medicine, did not know what to do when the prince’s health worsen. We thought of giving up, but nine days ago, someone unexpected arrived here in the palace. She came from a faraway land, and got lost here. She was informed about the condition of the Prince. The Queen Mother and I begged for her to help him, and got a response that she will try to cure him. This may be surprising to most of you, but she was able to treat the Prince in just a day! Now, he is here with us…” King Jiseok smiled at Prince Jiho who was also listening intently to his speech. “…healthy and normal as ever. It was such a miracle that he got cured, and I’m really grateful to this person for what she had done.”

Minhee smiled as she sipped on her drink.

“Everyone, I would like you to meet that person today.” The King looked towards the direction where Minhee was seated. “Minhee, come up here.” He smiled.

Minhee widened her eyes and coughed. “Me?”

The King nodded, and she slowly went towards the stage. She smiled at Jiho who was watching her every move, before standing up beside King Jiseok.

“Like what I said earlier, I would like you to meet Lady Lee Minhee, the person who treated Prince Jiho, the person whom I was so grateful for, the person who has a special place in my heart, and…”

Prince Jiho gulped, fearing the next words that will come out of the King’s mouth.

 

“…the person who I chose to be my wife, to be your new Queen.”

Minhee froze in her spot, trying to process what the King has just said. The guests created some noise, as all of them gossiped on their seats, also shocked at the King’s announcement.

“Minhee.” Jiseok smiled at her.

“Huh?” She blinked.

“Do you remember what you told me last night? You gave me hope that you will accept me and be the new Queen of this kingdom.”

Before she could say anything, Minister Park interrupted. “Your Majesty!”

“Minister Park, please sit down.” The King instructed him calmly. Then, he looked at the guests again. “I want her to be my Queen and no one else. I hope you understand. I am the King and anyone who will go against me will be imprisoned for a year and will be sent to Jeju Island as slaves after that one year.”

The noise toned down, and everyone kept their mouth shut, until…

“NO!!!”

All eyes were now on Prince Jiho. The King looked at him, confused at his sudden reaction. “Jiho… why?”

“I’m sorry hyung, but you can’t marry her. This is the first time I’m going against you. I’m really sorry, but I love her and she is feeling the same way towards me.” The prince looked at Minhee. “Right, Minhee?”

She bit her lower lip and turned to the King. “I’m sorry, King Jiseok.” She bowed apologetically and repeated those words. “I’m sorry.”

“B-But, Minhee...”

“I’m really sorry, hyung.” With that, Prince Jiho took Minhee’s hand pulling her down the stage, and both of them ran away.

The King closed his eyes tightly, and then opening them with a glare that could kill. “Minister Lee Taeil.”

“Y-Yes, Your M-Majesty…”

“Call your soldiers quick, and tell them to block all the palace gates. Don’t let Prince Jiho and Lady Lee escape.”

“Jiseok. Don’t do anything that will harm them.” Pleaded the Queen Mother.

“Eomma, I am the King. I know what I’m doing.”

 

 

 

“Jiho!” Minhee called his attention while running away. “Why did you do that?!”

The prince turned to look at her. “What? Do you want to marry my brother instead?” He stopped and fixed the strap of Minhee’s backpack he is carrying. After running away from the banquet, they went to Minhee’s quarters to get her belongings before proceeding to their escape.

Minhee also stopped, catching her breath. “N-No. Of course, not. But, you could have just talked to him and not run away like this. He might get angry.”

“I don’t care anymore. Didn’t you hear him? He will do anything just for you to marry him. Come on.” Jiho pulled her again and continued running.

As they were about to exit through the back gate of the palace, soldiers blocked their way. “You can’t go outside the palace, as ordered by the King.”

“W-What?!”

“What are we going to do now? Let’s just go back.” Minhee was already frightened at what is happening.

Prince Jiho pulled her again towards the other direction. “I know another way.”

They continued running until they reached a dead end.

“Now, what?” Minhee asked Jiho.

“It’s the wall with the lowest level here in the palace.”

She stared at it. “We’re going to go over that? How are we going to climb it? It’s about 8 feet tall!”

However, Jiho just hugged her tightly. “Minhee, please remember that I love you. I might not endure the pain if I see you get married to my brother, so please understand me. This may be the last time I will say this, but I love you Minhee. Please don’t forget me, understand?” After that, he pulled away.

“Jiho, what are you saying?!”

He gave Minhee her backpack. Then, he took a folded paper from his hanbok and handed it to her. “Go back home, Minhee. Go back to your brother. He’s already worried about you, for sure. Take this paper and when you are already outside the palace, go to the marketplace and look for a soothsayer named Kim Gyuwook. Give this to him and tell him my name. He will help you go back to where you came from.”

“B-But, Jiho… what about you?”

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. As long as I know you’re safe, I will be fine.” The prince tried to smile despite bidding goodbye to his loved-one.

“You should go with me.” Minhee held Jiho’s hand tightly.

“Minhee. Just do what I say, okay?” He touched Minhee’s hair with his other hand. “Besides, I can’t go with you even if I want to. The spell is just made to transport someone to where he or she came from. That means, you will go back to your brother, and I will just stay here because this is where I belong.” He looked at her in the eyes. “I’m sorry, Minhee. I love you.” With that, he gave her one last kiss before carrying her on his back.

Minhee reached the top of the wall standing on Jiho’s shoulder. She was about to go over it when she saw the soldiers going towards them. “Jiho! They are after us! Are you sure you’re not going with me? Please, Jiho. Just go with me.”

“Minhee. You know that I really can’t. Don’t let them see you, okay? I can handle myself. Just go. Now!”

“Jiho… I love you, too.” With that, Minhee jumped on the other side of the wall.

The prince felt her feet leaving his shoulders, and he closed his eyes. “Please be safe, Minhee.” He mumbled.

*Thud*

He opened his eyes and looked at the ground as a shiny white rectangular thing caught his attention.