Heartbeats

What If?

It's been weeks since I last saw her. It's been a month actually, I've caught glimpses of her before, but for the last two weeks, I've never really seen her at all. Because of my paranoia, I spoke with Seung Hyun about my theories. Has she left already? Could she possibly transfered to another school? Were the glimpses I saw, are my last memories about her?

"C'mon, you're such a girl dude. She hasn't left yet. I heard from others, that she's been on total lockdown. She's been practicing for a competition for next month." 

"And where did you here this?" 

"Same girls as the ones we asked before." He said, pointing to the girls. "C'mon, stop worrying about her, you need to concentrate for our exams next week."

He was right, my parents sacrificed a lot to let me enter this school, so I need to at least pass my exams and get a good grade, but I wasn't feeling it, so I just took my book out and decided to went to the rooftop. I stood up.

"Where you going?"

"Out."

I walked towards the the stairs. When I reached the top, I immediately sat near the door and opened my book. I let my eyes close and let the inspiration sink in. I let my hand guide me to the journey. I started sketching. When I was finished I was shock to see what I drew. It was me, but older. I drew my own face, which was 15 years older. Then I started to thinking, what will I be in the future? Artist? Do a boring job like a clerk? My mind went blank. I still didn't know what I wan to be.

When the bell rang, I immediately ran to the stairs and went to out room. I was glad the teacher wasn't there yet. Throughout our classes, I tried to listen as much as possible. They all keep saying the same things though "Study hard for your exams." That made me scared since it sounded like a threat, it was more like "Study or be gone." I panicked, so after class, I decided to go to the library. 

When the bell rang, I grabbed my bag and went straight to the library. When I got there, I dropped down my things, and went to get some books. There were a lot of things I needed to study for since, I didn't understand much when my teachers lectured. I studied 'til 5 pm. I was a bit happy that I at least finished my work, and even understood more the lectures we had. So when I was about to go home, I heard a music from one of the rooms near our library. Out of curiousity, I went inside. The music was classical, and I was surprised to see that there was a ballet studio here, but then again this an art school, so it was normal to have one. On one of the bars, I saw her, YoonA. So maybe Seung Hyun was right. I sighed out of relief. 

She was wearing a legging and a loose shirt. Her hair was in a bun. She was practicing her arabesque, when she noticed me. 

"Hi, noona." I greeted.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" She asked. 

"I was at the library when I heard the music." I explained.

"Oh." Then she took one of the towels lying around and wiped her face. 

"I think I should leave, seems like I'm disturbing you."

"No it's okay. Stay for a while, I was going to have a break anyway."

"Oh, so do you want juice?" 

"No, my friends gave me food earlier." She said, pointing the bag near the radio.

She sat where she was, and I immediately stood up and sat next to her.

"So.. I heard you're gonna compete?" 

"Yea, on 24th of August."

"It's still a month away and you're practicing already."

"Of course, ballet dancers are perfectionist, every twist and turns should be flawless." She said, sounding offended.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to insist anything, I think I should just leave." I was about to stand up when she stopped me with her hand.

"No don't, I've been stressed a lot, sorry." She explained.

I just smiled and stayed with her. She may not know what my true feelings were, but at least trying to undestand her and be here for her now, is a way for me to show how I already like her. So instead I tried to divert her feelings. I wanted to know more about her so I asked her a question. 

"So why ballet?" I asked.

She looked at me. "I don't know. I just woke up one morning, and decided that I wanted to be a ballerina." She smiled

"Did you just discover this now or when you were little?"

"When I was six actually. I begged my parents to take me to a ballet class." 

"Did you ever think that in 10 something years, this wouldn't be what you want anymore?"

"Not at all. When something strikes me, it gives me that heartbeat, it's like saying to me that, 'This is it. No go backs,' so maybe that's why I took up ballet. It gave me heartbeats. So maybe, if ever something gives you heartbeats don't ever let it go." She smiled. 

Just like what you're giving me now, I thought to myself. I didn't answer, instead, I just watch her lean on the mirror and closed her eyes. She was indeed beautiful, she was the type of girl I dreamed her to be. She wants to aim higher, be better, get to perfection. No wonder I fell in love with her. 

Then her moment of trance was interrupted by a ring. She opened her eyes and read her message.

"My driver just came, do you want a ride?"

"No, I'll just walk you out. I'm going to take the bus instead." She turned off the radio and tooks her things. When we were at the gate, I bid her goodbye. And when she got inside, she waved at me.

I looked at the car until it was out of my sight. My heartbeats were uncontrollable, it was acting up like this the whole time I was with her.

"Are you something that I want forever then noona?" I asked to myself.