I Promise

I Promise

Sehun awoke that morning in an unfamiliar atmosphere, until the memories of last night flooded his thoughts. He his side, ending up falling off of the couch in Luhan's living room. "Yehet!"

He drowsily used the table beside him for leverage as he pulled himself to his feet, wiping the sleep from his tired eyes. Sehun knew that he had class that morning, but he had to make sure Luhan would be okay on his own today.

Sehun wandered around Luhan's house to the bedroom where he found Luhan curled up on his bed with a pillow encased in his arms. A nostalgic feeling passed through Sehun as he moved over to Luhan, seeing that he was fast asleep. It was then that he realized he'd been in a situation like this before, and a delighted smile formed on his lips.

Gently he shook Luhan awake, amused when Luhan tried to toss a pillow at his head but missed. "I have to go to class. Are you gonna be okay?"

Luhan twisted and turned in his bed for a few moments before spinning to face Sehun. Sehun took note of the fatigue ringed around the outside of Luhan's gentle eyes, so he mentally wished him peaceful rest.

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

Unmistakably, Luhan's once pure voice had seemed to drop a whole octave lower from his drowsiness. Sehun swallowed down something that would have been corrupt to Luhan's ears, and nodded slowly before turning to leave.

"I'll see you later then."

-

-

Since Luhan didn't have to go to class yet that morning, he dropped by 'Extracts'. When he ordered his coffee and sat down at a table, he set aside the mug with his head in his hands.

It wasn't him, Luhan told himself over and over again like a broken record.

It wasn't-

Tears began to fall. They leaked down his face, involuntarily dripping onto the table.

With Luhan's bleak aura affecting some of the nearby customers, Kyungsoo took notice of his discourage. Kyungsoo strode over to Luhan, taking a seat at his table and reaching out for him.

"Luhan?" Kyungsoo began, voice as gentle as a kitten, "What's wrong?"

Luhan lifted his head, feeling very heavy all of a sudden as he wiped the drying tears from his face. Kyungsoo excused himself for a moment and returned with a handful of tissues for Luhan. Politely thanking him, Luhan took one and dabbed his wet eyes.

"Please tell me what happened." Kyungsoo's big, round eyes were soft and sympathetic, compelling Luhan to just pour out everything to him.

So that's what Luhan did. He forced the words out, teeth clenched together.

"It was my boyfriend."

"Did he hurt you?" Kyungsoo began to stand, defensive over his friend.

"No... I mean, I don't think it was." Luhan choked out, blowing his nose into a tissue.

"I don't understand."

"It was our-" Luhan began to hiccup. "-anniversary. I-I bought him something, and I went to go see him at his basketball game. I told him I wasn't going because I was going to surprise him later." A small smile appeared on Luhan's lips.

Kyungsoo's expression softened at Luhan's words. "Aw... That's really sweet of you."

Luhan's gaze darkened. "Except after the game, I thought I saw him with somebody else."

Luhan's somber expression only complimented the mood of the story, making Kyungsoo frown bitterly. Luhan took notice of this, seeing that Kyungsoo looked a little pissed off after hearing the tale.

Angrily Kyungsoo rose to his feet, shaking his head down at Luhan. "Ugh, I knew that jerk couldn't be trusted." He placed his hands on his hips, tongue clicking at the roof of his mouth. "You listen to me Luhan, and you listen close. It's his loss okay? You deserve way better than him."

Luhan blinked his tears away as he onlooked Kyungsoo; the fire in his eyes were glowing so fiercely that Luhan was surprised at how protective Kyungsoo was acting. They weren't even that close yet this vexed, kind-hearted man standing in front of him made Luhan realize just how great of a friend he was. Luhan smiled in appreciation then sipped at his coffee with a sudden re-energizing feeling.

"Thanks, Kyungsoo. You're really something."

Kyungsoo smiled back reassuringly, immediately warming up Luhan's heart.

"Just being a friend." 

-

-

Luhan paced the floor of his living room, cell phone clutched tightly between his two sweaty palms. He took about 10-- or maybe 20, he lost count -- deep breaths as he rehearsed the same few lines he was planning to-- no, going to -- say to Kai about last night.

"Kai, you know I love you, right? And I know you'd never do anything to hurt me. But I just need to know something really important. You've never lied to me before either, so be honest with me now when I ask you-"

Luhan paused.

.

He always stumbled on this part. He always struggled to force out that one terrible question that he had never expected to hear himself ask.

With one more breath, Luhan squeaked out the question.

"-...Are you cheating on me?"

Luhan stared at the phone in his hands with a hopeful heart.

Please... Luhan silently prayed before opening up his phone to Kai's contact and pressing the 'Call' button.

It rang only a few times before someone answered.

"Hello?" It was Kai's voice-- why had Luhan doubted it in the first place?

"Hey." Luhan breathed.

"Hey, babe! What's up?" Kai's cheery voice rang through the speaker. Luhan's heart beat faster at the sound of his voice. No, that wasn't the voice of a cold-hearted cheater. That was the voice of someone who dearly loved him.

Luhan opened his mouth to recite the speech he'd prepared for that very moment, but all of sudden, he'd forgotten it.

Oh god, how do I start it...

Luhan rubbed his temples in anxiety, sighing deeply.

"Babe? Luhan, is everything okay?" Kai's voice suddenly sounded worried.

He's making this harder than it already is. Luhan's heart sighed, hearing his worry. He really didn't want to do this. But he had to if he wanted to put his heart to rest once again.

With a gulp, Luhan finally urged out a couple words. "Last night."

"Last night?" Kai asked curiously. "What about it?"

Luhan squeezed his eyes shut. "At your game."

"At my game... What?" Kai sounded confused by now.

"I... I was there."

"You were?!" Kai's exclaimed excitedly. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was gonna sur-" Luhan cut himself off and chewed his lip. "...It doesn't matter now. That's not what I wanted to talk about anyway."

"Oh... Okay...?" Kai laughed half-heartedly. "Babe, what are you even trying to tell me?"

Luhan drew a shaky breath. With a tight grip on his phone, Luhan spoke. But barely.

"I saw you, Kai. Kissing someone else."

There was a long pause. Luhan was certain that his own heart rate was exceeding 200 beats per minute.

At last, Kai said with a mere chuckle, "Luhan. I can't believe you just said that."

His voice sounded hurt. Hurt. And Luhan's heart was melting. Luhan wanted to cry so badly but held back the actual tears. He hated hearing his baby sound like this. Did that mean it wasn't really him?

"Luhan. I want you to know something that I thought you already knew."

Luhan could practically see Kai staring straight into his eyes when he said that.

"I love you. I love you so much, Luhan. And I would never do anything to hurt you. You know that. Or at least, I thought you did. These past few months have been the most incredible moments of my life. All because I have you by my side."

A tear found its way out of Luhan's tear duct and streamed down his doe-eyed face.

Kai continued.

"Why would I throw all that away just for one night? You tell me, Luhan, since you know me so well."

"Wait." Luhan sniffled. "Kai... I believe you. I'm sorry for ever doubting you." Wiping his face, he added, "It's just that the person I saw looked a lot like you, so I thought-"

"Ohhh, now I see. You probably saw Taemin and his boyfriend Minho. You know me and Taemin look like twins and that Minho's on the basketball team, right?"

Luhan let out a huge sigh in relief.

That all makes sense.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm really sorry for everything." Luhan said sadly. "I wish this conversation never happened..."

"It's okay, baby. We all make mistakes." Kai replied reassuringly. "Tell you what. How about I take you out today? You can pick any restaurant you want."

Luhan sighed tiredly back into the phone. "Thanks. You're the best boyfriend ever."

"I'll see you later then. Love you~" Kai added a bit of aegyo in his goodbye which made Luhan giggle.

"Love you too." Luhan smiled, now at ease. "See you soon."

After hanging up, Luhan felt relieved to hear the words he'd been dying to hear. It was just that somewhere in the back of his mind he clearly remembered that Minho was taller than Taemin, and the figure he'd seen that night had been shorter.

-

-

"You pulled out the speech." Sehun shook his head. "Must have been serious."

He watched his best friend speak comfortably into his phone as he had those few sweet sentences memorized by heart. "You are such a ." Sehun muttered under his breath.

As soon as Kai had hung up on Luhan, Sehun nearly brought the textbook in his hands over the top of Kai's head. "You need to stop this!"

"Stop what?" Kai seemed too focused on his work to even be listening, so Sehun slapped the binder out of Kai's arms and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt.

"You need to leave Luhan alone! Stop playing with his feelings!" Sehun snarled in anger, ready to punch Kai if he had to. "He's not just another one of your little puppets that you can toy with whenever you want."

"Calm the down." Kai snorted, tearing himself away from Sehun. "Since when do you care about Luhan, anyways?"

The question chilled Sehun to the core, and he actually quieted. A dead silence filled the room. Sehun turned away from Kai to return to his studies.

                     ....Since when did he care about Luhan?

-

-

A/N: i can honestly say we're getting somewhere. hope you liked it. x

(co-A/N): Oooh... I wonder if anyone can predict what will happen next hehe :P