I Promise

I Promise

A/N: wow sorry about the last bit in chapter one. i really would have made it more thorough, but it's just too dàmn y you know?

-

-

For the past week, Luhan had been working to pull his grades up. He couldn't do it alone obviously, so he invited Kai over countless times. It ended up with them sprawled out over Luhan's bedroom floor, noses buried in their work. There wasn't one thing Kai wouldn't do for him, and it only made the bond between them more efficient.

Luhan desperately wanted to get through college like a slip-n-slide without any problems. It was only easy because he had his boyfriend there to help him study. Kai continued to give him his full attention, always lost in the way Luhan seemed so self-assured with himself. He had this determined look in his eye when he concentrated, when he was completely focused on something. In Kai's opinion, it was one of the most adorablest things he'd ever seen.

"Luhan."

The focused man hummed in response, pencil scribbling something down into his notes. Kai sighed defeatedly, seeing that Luhan didn't make a move to acknowledge him like he usually did. "Do you need anything?" He offered.

This made Luhan shift his gaze, lifting his head to peer curiously over at him. "Uh, what?"

Kai smiled warmly, reaching his arm out to take Luhan's hand in his own. He squeezed it gently, a confident look in his eye. "Like, do you want to take a break and go somewhere with me?"

He watched as Luhan brought himself to his feet, a nod confirming his answer. This made Kai happy, to see that his boyfriend was back up on his feet and ready to spend more time with him. "Really? You should pick where we should go." Kai suggested.

Luhan pursed his lips together as he walked over to Kai, who was now only just standing up after hours of silence. "I know a place."

-

-

"You're taking me out for coffee? How sweet." Kai teased, strolling down the city's walkway hand-in-hand with Luhan. When they turned a corner, realization crossed his features as he eyed the coffee shop in front of them. Luhan noticed this, eyebrows pulling together.

"What's wrong with it?" He whined, lips pouting.

Kai simply shook his head over at him, tugging him in another direction. "I heard it's not good there." Without further protest from Luhan, the anxiety rising in his chest came to a safe stop as he convinced Luhan to take a visit to the other one just down the street.

Of course Luhan followed, but the way Kai got flustered and high-strung about the new coffee shop was embedded in his innermost thoughts now. He planned out in his head that he would go alone without him and possibly prove him wrong.

When they entered the other coffee shop, Luhan took note of it's name and line of customers. Labeled on a sign strung high over their heads in the building, the words read: Republic of Coffee. The line of customers standing in front of them only made Luhan less curious about its history, rather he turned to Kai with a smile on his face. It was something -- a distraction, persay. "Hey, thanks for bringing me here. It actually looks really nice."

Kai beamed at him, eyes widening in surprise. "Really?" He squeezed Luhan's hand, the warmth of it helping coax his scattered nerves.

Luhan nodded at him slowly, then faked interest as he twisted his head around in several directions to take a real look at the place. "It looks expensive. Are you sure you want--"

"Yes."

It was abrupt, and it made Luhan flinch. Kai frowned at this, leaning into his side protectively. "Sorry, are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just really surprised is all. It's a lot to take in."

"Oh."

-

-

When they took their seats in the cafe with their coffee, Luhan opened his mouth to speak. "So your friend Sehun-" He cleared his throat, hands cupping around his mug of coffee to warm his chilled hands. "He's uh, definitely something."

Kai snickered at him, sipping at his coffee. "Yeah, don't worry. He'll warm up to you eventually. Trust me, he's not actually a bad guy once you get to know him."

Luhan worriedly chewed at the inside of his cheek, staring down at the warm mug in his hands. "Does he hate me? Or does he do that with everyone?"

"He's always been like that. Don't think of it as anything."

"Oh, okay."

A pregnant silence fell between them, and Luhan accepted this as he looked out the window beside their table. It had happened once or twice, and he always chose not to pry Kai in case it annoyed him. He would never want him to think of him as an annoying imbecile or something.

-

-

Late in the afternoon, dusk began to fall over the loud city. It seemed the more the sky darkened, the more life came to be at the city's epicenter. Kai had taken Luhan back to his house, kissing him goodnight before leaving with Sehun calling him all of a sudden. He didn't lie to Luhan; He told him honestly that his best friend wanted to meet up with him, and Luhan said it was fine.

As the two met at a popular grill, they took their seats at a booth across from each other. Sehun was the first one to speak, and he looked amused. "Really? Luhan? Seriously Kai, you chose the nerdiest kid I've ever seen. We both know you can do better than that."

Kai opened his mouth to reply, but the waitress was there and was addressing them kindly. They both ordered what they wanted to drink, and she scribbled it down in the handbook placed in her hand before stalking off wordlessly. It was then that Kai chose to glare over at his friend, but Sehun continued. "He even looks like a chick, like dàmn. I thought you were into dudes. Strictly."

This made Kai growl, feeling defensive all of a sudden over Luhan. "Don't talk about him like that!"

Sehun rolled his eyes carelessly, only to find himself snickering over all of this. "As if you really care for him." He stared at Kai with a curious look in his eye. "Why are you getting all defensive over him anyways? You've never acted like this about someone before."

"I really like this one."

This made Sehun scoff, running a hand back through his freshly dyed hair -- a complimentary blonde. "That's what you say about all of them."

-

-

A/N: i had really fun writing this chapter. like wahhh!!  leave feedback maybe? thanks! i promise to update soon^.^

ALSO I'M REALLY MEAN SO THIS IS WHAT I'M LEAVING YOU GUYS WITH. HAHA. Goodnight;)