I Promise

I Promise

"Okay, did you bring your anniversary present?" Sehun turned to Luhan with a questioning gaze as they walked across the parking lot towards the college's gym.

"Oh yeah." Luhan, cracking a smile over at him, fumbled around in his pockets for a moment before pulling out a tiny black box. "I wouldn't forget this... ever."

Sehun held the gym door open for Luhan, allowing him to enter first before following in behind with a casual smile playing across his lips. "Cool."

"Let's sit up way in the back over there! I don't want Kai to see me until after the game, yeah?" Luhan cast a glance over at him in which Sehun nodded briefly in return.

-

-

It was when the two basketball teams came into view that Luhan spotted Kai down on in the court in the center and nearly leapt up out of his seat to cheer him on. Sehun grabbed his shoulder and shoved him back down, scoffing at him. "So soon already?"

Luhan flushed a deep pink when Sehun took a little longer to remove his hand than normally. He tore his gaze away from Kai to shrug it off his shoulder. "Sorry... just got excited." Luhan mumbled.

"Yeah, well getting excited doesn't mean you give away your cover before the game even starts." Sehun rolled his eyes, turning his attention down to the court. It did look like that they'd be starting soon, and in Sehun's own opinion, he was happy to be here to support his friend. Except for the fact that he would have been here all alone had Luhan not agreed to go with him. So really, he was thankful in a sense for the company.

Luhan folded his arms across his chest, trying to remind himself not to leap up in excitement at the sight of Kai. He just really, really wanted to give him his anniversary gift to see his heartwarming smile. With those dark brown orbs full of promise, Kai had Luhan anchored in place. Luhan didn't plan on going anywhere; Their relationship was perfect.

Kai was perfect. Like even now Luhan, worrying his lower lip between his teeth, found his gaze lingering on the man's tall form on the basketball court. Sehun took notice to this after he'd said something to Luhan. But seeing that Luhan was giving no response, Sehun turned to him with his eyebrow raised, waving a hand across the guy's lovestruck eyes. "Um, hello?"

"Wha--? Sorry what?" Luhan blinked, broken out of the trance he'd got himself into.

"I said, do you want me to go by the concession stand and get you something while we wait?" Sehun pressed, trying to hide his annoyance.

"Oh, yeah sure. Get me some nachos."

When Sehun gave him a funny look for Luhan's choice of interest, Luhan gave him a reassuring smile. "Mess free, I promise." He held up his pinky, but Sehun dismissed it with a small wave of his hand before standing.

Luhan watched Sehun nudge past him, moving down the stairs and out of the bleachers to disappear from view in the crowd of people. After seeing that he was gone, Luhan pulled out his phone and rushed to text Xiumin about his whereabouts and what had been going on so far.

'I'm at the game. :) Kai is going to be sooo excited! Do you think he'll like these?' Luhan snapped a picture of the engraved rings before sending it to his friend.

Moments later, Luhan's phone buzzed and the screen lit up with a new text from Xiumin. The biggest smile formed on his face from his friend's own excitement for him.

'Ooooh yes!! He'll love that, I know it! Tell me what he says when you give it to him!'

Chuckling softly to himself, Luhan put his phone and anniversary gift away before turning his attention back to the court. He saw Kai scanning the crowd like he was hoping to see Luhan there, and as his gaze drifted towards his side of the bleachers --- Luhan ducked his head and grinned when he saw that Kai hadn't seen him.

He's definitely in for a surprise. Luhan thought to himself with a hopeful smile.

-

-

Ten minutes into the game, Sehun and Luhan were jumping up out of their seats and yelling like crazy every time Kai scored a goal. Sehun nearly jumped right on top of Luhan at some point in time, and in return they both blushed furiously while Sehun murmured a brief apology.

One moment they were slapping each other on the backs and cheering Kai on with pure excitement, then the next getting all shy with each other when one of them got too close for comfort. As the game came to a closing end, Luhan wiped the joyful tears from under his eyes and pulled a silly grin towards Sehun who was gaping down at Kai on the court.

"He really knows his basketball stuff." Sehun blinked a few times, unsure if what he really just saw was real or not. Kai's team had won all because said man had repeatedly scored more goals than the others, marking a new record in the college's books.

"Yeah..." Luhan gazed at Kai dreamily, sighing contently before rising to his feet in excitement all over again. "I should give it to him now!"

"Okay. I'm going to the bathroom." Sehun said over his shoulder before he disappeared into the crowd again, leaving Luhan on his own.

Luhan made haste to find Kai as fast as he could, hoping that he wouldn't leave so soon afterwards. It seriously meant everything to him in that moment, and as he searched the locker rooms and everywhere else inside the gym-- dread coursed through his veins.

Kai wasn't inside.

An idea popped into his head, and Luhan rushed outside to the front where everyone was already making their way to their cars in the parking lot.

Slowly, Luhan scanned the clearing in the night with eyebrows furrowed together.

Where could he be...?

There were just too many people crowded out in the parking lot for Luhan to get a good glimpse of anybody. He couldn't give up though. He wouldn't. Kai had to be around here somewhere.

Soon realizing that the search in the overcrowded parking lot was pointless, Luhan decided to look in the gym again. Maybe Kai left something inside and went back to go get it. Luhan trotted back over to the front of the gym where there were hardly any people by now. The dark of the night was only lit in that area with very few dim street lights.

Just as Luhan reached for the door handle, the sound of someone's back scraping against a wall and heavy panting rang through his ears. He turned towards the sound and froze.

There, right in front of his face a few meters away, was a very disturbing sight. Two guys were having quite a steamy, furious makeout session; the taller one pushing the other up against the college's outside wall as their lips sloppily locked together.

But why was Luhan just standing here watching them? He didn't know why, but something felt so... off. 

The taller one turned a bit and that's when Luhan gasped. And it struck him hard in the heart like a bullet.

It looked like Kai.

A few moments later the two broke off from each other, and they wandered off somewhere else hand-in-hand, disappearing from Luhan's view.

For a minute, Luhan had forgotten how to breathe. Millions of questions and answers rushed through his brain.

That wasn't Kai.

Of course it wasn't.

Why would it be Kai?

That'd just be insane.

Me and Kai are in a super serious relationship.

We're in love.

He wouldn't be kissing someone else.

He wouldn't be cheating on me.

He wouldn't.

...Would he?

It was hard for Luhan to see them in the first place; it was too dark for him to see anything properly with only the dim lighting from a nearby streetlight, and so he wasn't able to make out their features. Hence, he had no proof it was Kai.

Yeah... I was just seeing things...

Suddenly Sehun was beside him, tapping his shoulder patiently with a warm smile growing on his face. Luhan slowly turned to face him, gaze dropped to the floor and the tiny ring box still held in his hand.

"So, did you find Kai?" Sehun's calm voice broke the silence.

Luhan wasn't mentally prepared for the question. He hid the box behind his back.

It was just a trick of the light... Of course it wasn't Kai... Luhan told himself repeatedly.

...Right?

"I... I don't know." He breathed, avoiding Sehun's eyes.

Sehun looked confused at first, but it soon changed to troubled after seeing Luhan's shaken expression. Sehun hurried to change the subject.

"Come on, let's get you home." He slapped his hand on Luhan's back, guiding him over to his car.

-

-

When the car pulled up into Luhan's driveway, Sehun glanced over at Luhan in the passenger seat. Luhan, however, didn't seem to notice that they had arrived. His blank expression staring off into space worried Sehun.

"Luhan?"

Luhan snapped out of it and looked at Sehun. "Hm?"

"Is... something wrong?" Sehun asked, concerned.

"Oh... um, it's nothing. I'm fine." Luhan tried to reassure him, but Sehun wasn't buying it.

He raised an eyebrow at Luhan. "You sure? You don't seem fine."

Luhan nodded. "Yeah. I was just, um, seeing things after the game."

"What kind of things?"

Luhan laughed pitifully with a small shake of his head. "I was probably imagining things. Kai wouldn't do that to me. I know him too well-"

"Do what to you?" Sehun suddenly asked, eyes widening with a serious expression crossing his face.

Luhan shook his head again. "I never saw Kai. Well... at least I think I didn't. No, I'm pretty sure I didn't. I just saw this couple outside at the front, and the tall one looked a lot like Kai..." Luhan gulped and murmured the last bit quietly, scratching at the back of his neck. "They were kissing."

Immediately, Sehun tensed up. He could see the distress written all over Luhan's face, and all of sudden, Sehun was pissed.

"That idiot..." He mumbled angrily to himself, tangling his fingers in his own hair.

Noticing this, Luhan quickly added, "Please don't be mad. Especially at him. Because I know it wasn't him! It was too dark for me to even see anything so don't worry about it."

The two remained silent for a while, still sitting in the car. Sehun was chewing at the inside of his cheek while Luhan played with his hands in his lap.

"So..." Sehun began. "I'm guessing you didn't give him your gift?"

Luhan shook his head then turned to Sehun with a weak smile stitched onto his lips. "Don't worry about it. I'll give it to him tomorrow."

They sat in silence once again until Sehun unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the car. Surprised, Luhan asked, "Where are you-" But Sehun was already out of the car.

He curved around the front of the car over to Luhan's side. Luhan watched with wide eyes as Sehun opened the car door for him. Gesturing toward Luhan's front door, he said quietly, "You should probably get going now."

"Oh..." Luhan whispered. "Right."

Luhan lifted his gaze finally to meet Sehun's own, a sigh leaving his lips.

"Will you stay the night with me?"

He could feel the tips of his ears turning red, but held his gaze firmly with Sehun.

Oh god, why did I just say that...

But the truth was this: He didn't want to be left alone after what he just saw; Something clawed at the inside of his belly.

Sehun was blinking over at him.

For a minute, Luhan was certain that Sehun would think he was a creep and refuse.

"Yeah. I will." Sehun smiled softly.

Luhan sighed in relief and returned his smile, but it felt weak and forced. "Thanks."

-

-

 

 

 

A/N:  Ima go curl up in a ball and sleep on the streets now. Me after this chapter:

(co-A/N): Hehehe I hope you guys enjoyed this one ^-^ Lol at the A/N above this... xD