I Promise

I Promise

A/N: -whistles- last chapter was surely interesting. let's continue, shall we? ;)

-

-

In the passing month, Luhan finally gave into visiting the coffee shop that Kai strictly avoided for one of the most stupidest reasons. He'd been stressing over the fact that Kai suddenly got too busy to help him with his studying. Who gave him the right to favor in thinking the coffee there would be bad if it was just another rumor he picked off the other college students? And why was he avoiding him all of a sudden? It was honestly all confusing, and rather hurtful for Luhan.

So now here he was, turning the same corner he and Kai did awhile back. He paused, eyes squinting up as he stared at the labeling of the cafe's name. 'Extracts'. It didn't sound lame; It certainly was interesting to Luhan, so he found himself walking towards the building confidently. As he reached its door, he eyed the bell above his head as he pushed inside, the jingle of it bringing back memories.

His attention shifted to a man suddenly greeting him behind a black, granite counter. 'Must be the worker here,' Luhan thought to himself as he moved over to stand in front of the cash register and the doe-eyed man. "Uh, hello...I've never really been here before. Is it, is it good?"

The man erupted into laughter at Luhan's question, and Luhan didn't understand why. A few beats later after the server collected himself, he looked back to Luhan with a friendly gaze. "Is what good here?" He brought his arms up onto the counter, leaning into them for support.

"Oh, the coffee of course." Luhan nodded, giggling a little himself. His question from before did sound pretty funny with the way he worded it.

"I don't know. I can give you a sample if you'd like, for free because I'm feeling generous." The server grinned at him, soothing Luhan's worries of running into another snappy prick. "Oh by the way, I'm Kyungsoo." He turned away from Luhan, moving to grab a mug and mix it accordingly to what Luhan requested.

Luhan waited patiently, tapping his fingers against the top of the counter, head twisting in every other direction so his curious gaze could scan the inside of the building. "It's really cute in here. Who designed it?"

"Hmm? Oh, I don't really know. I've only worked here for a little while. It's to pay for my tuition." Kyungsoo turned back to face Luhan, bringing over the 'sample' he was going to try. It was actually what he had asked for, but in the real size. Not the sample size.

Luhan spluttered in surprise, taking a step back with widened eyes. "That's not--" The man smiled kindly at him, extending out his arm with the warm mug in his hand.

"It's on me."

"Wow, really?" Luhan flashed a generous smile, taking his place back at the counter in front of Kyungsoo. He took the warm mug out of his hands, feeling pleasant from the man's kindness. "Thank you, Kyungsoo."

-

-

Later that evening, Luhan felt his phone vibrating in his pocket just as he began walking into the kitchen to search for something to eat. He pulled it free from his pocket, tapping the screen once before lifting the device up to his ear. Immediately it was met with Xiumin's cheery voice. "Luhan! Lay and I were wondering if you wanted to go clubbing? I get that you've been busy studying, so maybe we could let you have a nice break with your two best friends in the whole world?"

Luhan grinned. "Yes! A thousand times yes! Come by okay?"

"Alright! We're on our way—Hey! Lay, don't forget your shoes." Xiumin chastised at the other man, and Luhan giggled to himself before hanging up.

-

-

At the arrival of Lay and Xiumin outside his front door, Luhan flicked off the living room light before pulling open the door and being greeted warmly by his fellow friends. "Luhan!" They both spoke to him at the same time, erupting Luhan into a fit of laughter.

Shaking his head gently, he followed them out to the street's sidewalk before they began their long walking journey into the lively city.

-

-

When they'd gotten to the club, they all ran to the bar like excited kids. Luhan found himself stumbling into people, but saw that they were too busy making out to care. As he took a seat right down beside his two best friends, Xiumin ordered all of them some drinks. At some point in due time the three of them were wasted, and Luhan found himself giggling like crazy as Lay leaned down into his shoulder mumbling on about how bad of a hangover they were all going to have after this.

Luhan didn't really think these things through, so when they all began to move towards the back of the club into the lounging area, he watched as Xiumin and Lay passed out on the couch without a simple care in the world. His hazy vision began to succumb to resting, so he shakily reached into his pocket for his phone to quickly dial Kai's number. He knew for a fact that he was going to pass out any second now; His energy was drained.

"Kai! Hey, can you come pick up me, Lay, and Xiumin? They took me out clubbing, and we all had a lot to drink so..." Luhan quipped, rubbing at his temple with his free hand.

When Kai responded, but he sounded distant. "No, I can't. I'm busy. I'll send Sehun to come get you, alright?" It was the same excuse he'd been using for the past month.

Luhan's mouth suddenly felt dry, and his throat began to close up. "Yeah, okay." The other end of the phone line went dead a beat later, and Luhan suddenly felt so small - that he curled up into a tight ball and rested his head back against a pillow on the couch being shared by him and his friends.

-

-

The next thing he knew, he was being shook awake by someone, and he grumpily pushed at their persistent arm. "Stop." Luhan whined, annoyed with whoever was shaking him awake. "I just...wanna sleep."

"It's Sehun."

Luhan forced open his eyes to come eye to eye with the man who had shot daggers at him before. Who -- Oh, yeah. He remembered clearly enough calling Kai and how he had sent Sehun to get him and his friends. "Oh. Oh."

Sehun glared at him impatiently, obviously annoyed. Wasn't he always? Luhan turned to Xiumin and Lay before shakily standing, nearly tripping over his own feet. Sehun caught him with ease, shaking his head in defeat. There was no hope for these three, Sehun thought. It would be impossible to get them out of the club.

Yet somehow, Luhan helped carry Xiumin and Lay to Sehun's car waiting out at the front of the club. "Sorry about Kai making you come here." He felt so bad for Sehun.

Sehun guided the two half-asleep drunks into the back of his car, slamming the car door shut and glaring over at Luhan, who was just mindlessly standing there lost in thought. He blinked awake when Sehun snapped his fingers in front of his eyes, the anger ablaze in his eyes only making Luhan fearful for his future. So he slumped into the passenger seat, watching Sehun get in on the driver's side.

-

-

The whole car ride was too exhausting for him to stay awake, so Luhan slept soundly in his seat while Sehun took care of bringing the other two passed out in the back, back to their homes.

-

-

Sehun was stressed with Kai. He was being forced to take care of people he didn't give a dàmn about. It was for his friend, though. Turning his head towards Luhan, he saw him sleeping contently and didn't make a move to wake him as he drove soundlessly to Luhan's house.

When they arrived there, he took Luhan out of the car and carried him up to his room, careful not to wake him. He lowered him onto his bed, pulling the covers up over his body so he wouldn't chill to death when he left. It's just that Sehun found himself sitting at the edge of Luhan's bed, watching the man sleep contently.

This went on for a few minutes in silence, Sehun watching the way Luhan's eyelashes flutter as his eyes move underneath his eyelids. He started to wonder what he was dreaming about when suddenly he realized what he's doing. He was watching another man sleep, and said man had a boyfriend. His boyfriend being his best friend. Shït.

He got up from the edge of the bed, and diverted his gaze from the sleeping form of Luhan as he made his way out of his room, rushing to get out of his house and get back to his own home.

-

-

 

...well then. C: