Chapter 12

Hesitation

(Yixing)

"You should eat, Luhan. You've been here all night without budging once on that chair." I suggested. Luhan was sitting on a stool beside Jongin's hospital bed.

"I'm fine, Yixing. Thanks."

I, then, took a bite of my pastrami sandwich. Jongin was confined yesterday. The doctors said that they still need to observe him for a few days.

Suddenly, the door opened and the doctor walked in. I immediately stood up and gently pushed Luhan out of the room.

"Wait! I want to hear what the doctor has to say," he complained. I took a sandwich from the table and gave it to him, "Here. Bring this to your boyfriend, first." And when he was finally outside, I closed the door. 

"Sorry for that, Doc." I apologized and he just smiled a bit.

"Yesterday, we studied his vital signs, took some tests..." I nodded motioning him to continue, "I hate to say this but he's in a severe condition." The doctor sighed. 
"We're not yet done observing but we're hinting, Pneumonia."

The door suddenly burst open, "How is he?" Luhan asked anxiously. 

"Please watch Mr. Kim. I should be going now," the doctor said, tapped my shoulder, and left.

Luhan diverted his sight to me, "What did he say?"

"Just fever. Caused by stress and fatigue," I lied. I thought Jongin should be the one to tell him, "He'll be staying here for a few days a--"

"I'll stay with him," Luhan said and looked at Jongin's sleeping figure. I thought for a while but immediately disagreed.

"No, it's okay. You should go to school."

"I'll skip classes. I want to stay with hi--"

"I'll just update you, Luhan. Besides, his parents texted me that they'll come and stay with him."

"Okay, fine. But be sure to text me if anything happens, okay?"

I just nodded. Luhan looked at the clock, it was time for him to go. He squeezed Jongin's hand and left after waving goodbye.

 

 

(Jongin)

Thursday. I was on my way to school. I spent three days at the hospital but I insisted, kinda forced then to check me out. I was so excited to see my friends and my bestfriend but something caught my attention. It was Sehun and Tao. I saw them kissing. I thought for a second but I couldn't be wrong. They really were. Although, I wasn't surprised. I already saw them flirting twice and I've kinda guessed that there's something between them. Tell Luhan? No, thanks. I don't care about that Sehun guy anymore. I didn't realize I was watching them for too long until Sehun met my eyes. I just stared at him in disbelief. He just looked away. *Sigh* What a bad morning.

 

I walked through the hallway and tried looking for Luhan but the school bell suddenly rang. I guessed I'll just find him later. 

I went to class and sat beside Yixing. 

"Hey," I greeted.

"Don't 'hey' me. You're not supposed to be here. You're not yet hea--"

"I'm okay, Yixing. I don't feel any pain. Besides, this is my body. I know it. Quit worrying."

Yixing just shook his head in disapproval.

 

 

(Luhan)

I took a bite of my cookie and bopped my head back and forth along with the beat bursting from my earphones. I finished my cookie and felt someone's presence occupy the space beside me. I turned and saw Jongin smiling at me. My eyes went round as I stared at him. I didn't know whether to believe if he was really there so I cupped his face. He sudddenly chuckled, "I'm fine, Luhan."

"Are you really okay? What did the doctor say?" I withdrew my hands and offered him a cookie.

He grabbed it and took a bite, "Just fever."

"That's all?"

"Stress."

I was about to ask more when he suddenly stood up, "I just dropped by to say hi. I'm on my way to my next class. See you later." He ruffled my hair and left.

I also stood up and went my way to my next class. But as soon as I turned at the corner, I stopped with what I saw.

Sehun? With Tao in his arms? I clenched my fist unknowingly. I turned around and ran to the nearest restroom. I washed my hands with no apparent reason.

I thought, "They're just friends, okay? Just friends, Luhan. Well, I hope so."

 

(Yixing)

Our next teacher was absent so there's nothing to do. I sat next to Jongin and asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Good,"

"You should go back to the hospital,"

He closed his eyes and slouched, "Are we going to talk about this again?"

I sighed, "I'm just worried and it's for your own good. Jongin, they asked you to stay for a week."

He sighed and put his head down. Silence was all I got.

After a while, I called him again, "Jongin." I got no response.

"Jongin?"

I poked his arm and he still wasn't budging.

 

 

 

"YAH! KIM JONGIN!!"

_______________________________________________________________________________