25-Calculus rant

Math Saved My Love Life!

Alex POV


It was a Monday, and boy, was I tired. No, no, more than tired. Please forgive me if I’m rude. I’m just really tired right now. 

“Alex,” Henry started, poking my shoulder to get my attention.

I slowly looked up and forced a smile—even though my eyes were still open. “Yes?” I yawned, still more than tired.

"How do you make a plumber cry?"

I smiled, at least this'll be good, "How?"

"You kill his entire family." Henry said in a matter-of-factly tone.

I chuckled, but it sounded force. Gah, this is what happens when I stay up too late studying for tests and what not! It isn't fair! Why can't I just be one of the people that bs everything? It would be soo much easier right now.

“Are you okay?” Henry asked in a worried tone.

“I’m just…tired.” I sighed, “I’m thinking about changing my schedule to just the weekends.”

“Aww! You’re going to leave me?” Henry frowned.

“I’m just…Being a sophomore is just tiring.” I yawned, “I mean, I have to pass math, but I don’t think I am.”

“Why not?”

I told him about how low my grade was at the beginning of the year, and even though it bumped up (thanks to Kyuhyun of course.) it still isn’t high enough to pass since…Since, well, I at math. I really do. I hate it with all the fiber in my body and I wish I can just get a damned C in it and move on.

 “Well, why don’t you take another year then?” he suggested.

“It’s frustrating!” I muttered.

“Then pass!”

“But I can’t!”

We started to argue for another good 5 minutes or so about the matter. Henry was giving me something optimistic, while I was being pessimistic. Yeah, as you can tell, we’re not a good pair.

“THEN WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO SAY?” Henry asked, annoyed.

“I want you to listen to my rant.” I sighed, “That’s all.” I looked at Henry who was sitting on the table. “I’m sorry, but I’m just sick and tired of everyone and everything in school.” I groaned, “I’m mad, and I need someone to calm me down.”

Henry stared at me, “Alright.” He says, playing with the salt shaker, “Should we go out for food after work?”

“Yes please.” I groaned in annoyance.

“Alright, well, I have 3 more hours on my shift, so just wait.” Henry smiled before getting off his seat.

I sighed in annoyance, but nodded. I laid my head there for a moment. Gosh, thank God I’m off work, like seriously. If I was on work any longer, I’d probably lose it.

I felt a pat on my back and looked behind me to see Hyun staring at me with a huge smile.

“Seunghyun sunbae!” I smiled, still tired as ever.

He sat in the seat in front of me, “What’s wrong?” he asks, “Are you okay? You look ill.”

I gave him a weak grin to show him that I’m all right. “In ways, I guess you can say that. But it’s just that school’s just bringing me down.”

“What subject?”

“Calculus.”

He suddenly scrunched up his nose and gave me a disguised face. Yeah, I know. I hate math too. Fact is, I hate it with such a passion, that I dream about murdering it. Yes, it’s sad, but true. I hate math so much, I dream about its death.

Pretty sad, right?

“Are you tired?” he asked in a worried tone.

I slowly nod my head, “A little.”

“Do you want me to drive you home? I’m free, so it’s okay.”

I smiled at him, but in all honesty, I didn’t want to go home with him because I barely knew him. I mean, yes, we’re close. But it was more like a customer and waitress relationship. I know his day, I know things about him, I know what his usual is. But I don’t know, I just don’t trust people in Seoul. It’s like trusting someone from New York, not worth it (for the most part.) right?

“No, it’s fine.” I gave him a small smile.

He gave me a worried glace, but for some reason, his worried glace looks like his usual stares. (I swear, he stole his eyes from a puppy) and he just smiles at me.

“You sure?”

I nod my head once more before I laid it on the ground, “Sorry sunbae!” I said, “I’m just…Super tired, and I’m rude when I’m tired.”

“It’s fine!” he smiles. “I was like that a few years back when I started working in my job.”

I thought for a moment. “That’s right, I never asked you about your job, did I?” I ask myself out loud, “How did it start?”

“Well, once I was done with trainee, I had to be—er, take care of this one group. It was insane, waking them up at 5AM, having them go to their schedules and what not, tiring.” He shook his head.

“Aw, I’m sorry.” I frowned. “But hey, it’s a good job that pays well, right?”

“Well, not really.” He shrugs, “I mean, if you think about all the things that you’re giving up. You’re time with family, friends, late hours, early hours, working like no other, barely having a life of your own and if you make one mistake, you’re yelled at. It’s not worth it.” He sighs.

“Well, YG can’t be that bad, right?”

“It’s like any other company, really. I mean, the only difference is that it’s tighter because it’s pretty big. But other than that, nope.”

“Tell me more about the one mistake.”

He thought for a bit, “Well.” He looked at the windows. Wow, it’s getting pretty dark. But of course, it’s December. “When you want to fall in love with someone,” he looked at me. “You can’t really do it because it’ll affect others, and you have to take punishment by them lowering your status.”

“What?” my mouth suddenly dropped open, “That isn’t right! I mean, it’s your life after all!”

“Yes, but with certain jobs come with certain responsibilities. People that have jobs such as I do can’t go willy nilly and date whoever they please.”

I frowned, “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head, It’s fine, honest. I’m just glad that my contract’s almost over.”

I continued to stare at him, “So you’re not going to be a director anymore?”

“For what it’s worth, oh God no. But because of what I’ve done, I think I’ve set myself a pretty good life ahead. I mean, I already made a few million dollars, I think I can survive.” He winked.

I beamed, “Good. Then you can live freely.”

He nodded, then looked around. “Hey, Alex, about that date, do you want to go on it now? Cause I have things to do tomorrow.”

I thought for a moment. Might as well get it over with since I’m going to be stuck with Calculus all day tomorrow. “Alright” I answer.

Quickly, I got over to Henry to tell him that I was going out with Seunghyun. Henry first looked at Seunghyun, even though he hesitated, he agreed. Why Henry hesitated, I shall never understand, but hey! That’s life; there are a lot of things I will never understand, right?

I just hope I get home safely.