Chapter 8: The Scarlet Letter

Rivals in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] The Scarlet Letter  [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Chapter Eight  [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID4] 

 

I enjoyed writing this chapter because the idea was spontaneous. I updated all the chapters to have less mistakes when it comes to grammar so it's like an updated version with new lines and etc. I didn't tell you guys but I'm planning to have sequels (Taeyeon's college and marriage life). So let's hope that I can finish this ;)

 

Thank you NanaJung for commenting. Yeah I want Taeyeon to be funny here especially when she's fighting with her subconscious. :)

Happy Reading! ^^v [/CONTENTID4]

[CONTENTID3] 

          People said that life was full of goddamn surprises… and hell, it really was. Days had passed and some things had changed after the news spread that I was dating Kim Jaejoong aka Edward Cullen wannabe. I used to be a delinquent in school but now, some students were actually noticing and smiling at me especially lower-class men.

          “Uh… excuse me… I’m Baekhyun and I’m a representative of La Seoul. Can I interview you for our school’s newspaper? It’s about you and your relationship with Jaejoong. A lot of students requested for an article,” a freshman kid said to me while holding his recorder, notebook and pen. What the hell was that? Were they making fun of me?! I looked at him and frowned. Disturbing dark eyeliner. Blonde messy hair.  Huge t-shirt. Worn-out pants. “Talk to me again and I’ll kick your .”

          “PMS-ing again?” Sunny asked while getting her books in her locker. I popped my bubble gum and shook my head. “Just because I’m dating a good looking guy, doesn’t mean I could be their b*tch.” Remember when I told Jaejoong that I would give us a chance? Well, I actually did give him a chance. This started when we were seen holding hands in the corridor and some students took a picture of Jaejoong kissing my cheek and I was smiling like we were in love.

           Every time I looked at our picture, I would feel that something wasn’t right, like it was all a set-up… like it was all acted out. “Why don’t they interview Nichkhun and me instead?” Tiffany complained beside me, nagging about her decreasing popularity and other sh*t. If we weren’t friends, I would be ripping her hair off. But I eventually fell in love with her smile and I secretly adored her genuine kindness.

          “Will you please tell your girlfriend to shut off her megaphone mouth? I’m having a migraine because of her.” Hyoyeon bantered while rubbing her temples. We laughed as Tiffany shut and annoyingly flashed her tongue.

          “Hey… don’t make fun of my girlfriend. Make fun of me instead…” Nichkhun commented then pulled Tiffany to a tight embrace and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. I felt my body cringed and shivered from witnessing a nerd with gold braces kissing a perfect-looking cheerleader. As far as I’d remembered, they started dating when Nichkhun saved Tiffany from a bug when they were having a discussion about their project and eventually she fell in love with him.

          “Get a room!” Sunny teased before we started walking to go to our first class.

 

          Our first class was a stressful blur… our professor, Mr. Woo, let us read a novel about The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The protagonist, Hester Prynne, had an affair with a minister so she was accused of adultery and then she was forced to wear a scarlet A on her wardrobe. After that, the town realized that they misjudged her and said she was a good person, and she eventually died as a saint.

          “During this era, adultery was the worst crime a woman could commit,” Mr. Woo said while lecturing. I remembered the time when Junsu and I kissed inside the closet. Stop over thinking! Junsu wasn’t married yet to my sister but it didn’t mean that I could kiss him, right? Was I an adulterer?! Adulterer is a big word. How about a cheater? Jeez. Thanks, Ms. Know-it-all. You were such a great help!

          “Kim Taeyeon…” Did someone call my name? I sighed and shook my head. “Kim Taeyeon, are we interrupting something? Stand up.” Oh shoot. Another professor caught me zoning out.

“No, Mr. Woo.” I looked up and stood.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” Whaaaat?!

“I do have a boyfriend, Mr. Woo.”

          “Have you cheated on him?” This was embarrassing. Junsu happened first before Jaejoong happened so no… got it? If you read the previous chapter, you would get it, our kiss before his confession.

          “No, sir. I haven’t.”

          “Please remain standing…” GAAAAH! Mr. Woo?! What were you trying to do?! “Kim Junsu, please stand…” he continued. He slowly stood and scratched the back of his head.

          “Did you ever cheat behind your girlfriend’s back?” Mr. Woo said while pointing at Haeyeon. Did Professor Woo know our secret?! Oh my. Don’t panic! Keep breathing, Taeyeon. Remember to breathe…  

          “I didn’t, sir.” Liar. You kissed me, ! I urged not to roll my eyes. People would be wondering and might get suspicious. This was making me nervous, causing me to release a lot of toxins in my body.

          “So, let’s say, you and Junsu had an affair and got caught, are you willing to put the scarlet letter on your wardrobe?” he was now looking at me, smirking. I had this feeling that Mr. Woo caught us getting out the closet… or maybe not.

          “I…” I looked down and wiped tiny beads of sweat on my forehead using my hand. Damn, Mr. Woo. “Answer my question, Taeyeon,” he persisted.

“Yes, I will. If that would be my punishment…” I answered.

“Very well…” Mr. Woo stepped down from the podium and then he took a red ‘A’ necklace, walking towards me.

 

WHAT THE F*!?

 

          “Since I caught you…” he paused and looked at Junsu then back at me. “…zoning out in my class, you would be wearing this for the whole day. Both of you can sit now. Everyone, I will be expecting a reaction paper tomorrow about The Scarlet Letter. Class dismissed.”

 

 

“Hester! Wanna be my lover for tonight?”

“Hester! Hester! What have you done?”

“You deserved it, Hester!”

          My d*ckhead classmates led by Eunhyuk teased me as they passed beside me and my friends, howling like gorillas. “Don’t let them get to you.” Hyoyeon comforted me. I nodded and sighed. Hyoyeon used to like Eunhyuk but when she found out how annoying he was, she told him to get lost.  Oh, crap! Don’t tell her that I shared that. It was our secret…

          “Yes, that’s right! Who would want to date those monkeys, anyway?” Tiffany scorned, kicking the air as if she could reach them. She was so adorable… Nichkhun, could I have your girlfriend, please?

          I looked at Hyoyeon and she threatened me to shut up. I laced my arm on hers and smiled. “Has anyone seen Sooyoung?” Sunny asked, gasping for air. Did she run? “I tried to look around but I couldn’t find her anywhere…”

          I knew where she went! “You guys go first! I will find Sooyoung!”

 

 

          “What are you doing here?” Sooyoung asked. She was standing in the rooftop, gazing down at students. “You’re not planning to jump, are you?” Changmin asked. His hands were in his pockets. “Leave me alone.”

          “I can’t do that. I am your best friend.” he walked towards Soo then stood beside her.

          “You are not my best friend...”

          “What is your problem? C’mon Sooyoung! You’re better than this…”  He gestured to all of her with his right hand.

          “You are my problem!” She stifled her cry. Changmin looked at Sooyoung. He was confused. “When Seohyun came, you changed. You didn’t call or send me messages anymore.” she continued. She wiped her tears and sobbed. “I hate you Shim Changmin.”

          He shook his head and held her arms. “Tell me the truth Soo. What do you feel?”

          “I am hurt Changmin! I think that I’m losing my best friend.”

          “Best friend?! I am just your best friend?!” he exclaimed as he threw his hand in the air, exasperated.  “You don’t like me, do you?”

          Sooyoung shook her head and looked at Changmin. “I don’t know. You’re my best friend. I don’t want to ruin our friendship.”

          “When I saw you crying now, I even thought that you actually liked me…”

          “I saw on TV dramas that best friends who fell in love then broke up… they drifted apart. I don’t want that to happen to us.”

          “Damn it, Soo! You’re so naïve. Those are just stupid dramas, they’re not real. Very far from reality and this is reality Soo!” Changmin had gone mad. He was raising his voice.

          When Changmin was about to leave, Sooyoung hugged him from behind. “I am sorry. Let me sort out my feelings first.”

          “Good luck sorting out your feelings,” he said coldly and walked passed me, ignoring my presence near the door. “Please talk to her… I had enough,” he said, hurting, before leaving the rooftop. I felt like watching a theatrical scene when I saw them arguing awhile ago. I didn’t want to side anyone but I think Sooyoung really needed to sort her feelings for Changmin.

           Being a girl, it was really hard for us to decide on certain things especially if it was something important. We sometimes tend to rush our decisions which may cause heartaches and problems in the end. “Are you okay?” I patted Sooyoung’s shoulder who was now sitting on the floor with her knees on her face, crying hard.

          “I am afraid, Taeyeon. I don’t want to ruin our friendship but I am losing him… I am losing him.”

          “Hush~ Stop crying… we will help you think this through.” I wiped Sooyoung’s tears before hugging her tight, thinking that I was also her best friend.

 

 

          “We already bought your foods…” Hyoyeon said as Sooyoung and I sat on our table. We still had plenty of time to finish our food so I nibble my honey-flavored cereal as we all ate silently. I didn’t know why but we didn’t feel like talking or joking today. We were all in our down moods until...

          “What the hell is that?!” I looked up and saw Yuri arguing with her boyfriend.

          “It’s so ing obvious!” That was Yunho. What did he do now?

          “Why did you delete his text message?” Yuri, as if on cue, answered my question.

          “That bastard is flirting with you!” he retaliated.

          “You just can’t delete my messages! This is my goddamn phone!” she screamed, gaining a lot of attention from other students.

          “Yuri… stop it. Don’t cause a scene.” Yoona whispered to her twin. Too late, cousin! She already caused a scene. Everyone was looking at our table, whispering.

          “And YOU CAN delete my messages?” Yunho asked harshly. Well, that was totes unfair for his part. Women.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter