A Kind Reminder

Vengeful Romance
Please log in to read the full chapter

The crisp sun peeked through the space of the blinds, expanding its rays on each surface that it reached. Yongguk opened the curtains a little, making sure the sun gave a warm welcome to the woman on his bed. The sunbeams kissed her face and washed her body with warmth. Even with all this invitation, Mani was unphased. She remained asleep on the bed, eyes not even twitching from the immense light. Yongguk closed the blinds again to allow her to sleep. Worry consumed him at an even deeper level. Since that night, she had been asleep for almost two whole days. From time to time, he would wake her up to take the medicine or drink some water or have Pim help her to the bathroom. For the most part, her body rested as her immune system continued to fight the sickness that was forced on her.

Yongguk pressed the back of his hand on her forehead.

“Her fever is going down,” he noted. He stood up and looked at Lek, “I have to go to Seoul for a bit.”

He desperately did not want to leave her here especially with the state that she was in.

“I should be back in a few days. I don’t want to raise suspension that Mani and I are missing at the same time. In the meantime, take care of Mani and make sure Pim gives her her medicine accordingly: once in the morning and another before bed. Have her feed Mani as well; resting without food isn’t going to help her get better.”

Lek nodded, “Yes, sir. I’ll let Pim know her duties.” He followed his boss out of the room and toward the harbor. “Please travel safely.”

“Please watch over Mani.”

Without Yongguk’s explanation, the assistant knew who Mani was to Yongguk. She was his muse for the island. Ever since she’s fallen ill, he hasn’t been away from her. It wasn’t hard to tell that this woman was a very important person to his dear boss.

“I promise,” Lek firmly stated.

Yongguk grinned and squeezed his arm, “Thank you, friend.” He boarded the boat and continued into the distance.


 

Gently, he shook her to wake her up.

“Goeun-ah,” Youngjae whispered, “it’s time for you to go to work.”

She groaned then threw her arm over him.

“No,” she moaned, “I want to sleep.”

He kissed her on the forehead, “C’mon you have to drive to the city. It’ll take a while.”

“But I’m so tired.”

“You slept for almost ten hours last night.”

“Ten hours isn’t enough.”

He put the back of his hand on her forehead.

“Are you sick?”

“Maybe?” Goeun finally opened her eyes and looked at him. A smile sprawled across her lips. “Goodness,” she gawked, “just seeing your gorgeous face gives me a boost of energy.”

She giggled and gave him a kiss. He leaned in and his hand brushed across her . Goeun gasped and immediately winced in pain.

“Goeun! Are you okay?”

She laughed again, “Aish, Yoo Youngjae don’t you know how tender my s are?”

“We never had this problem before,” he sat up, “You’re working too hard. Your body’s getting weak.”

Goeun groaned and rolled over, “I know, this new project is getting intense.” She put her hair in a loose ponytail and stretched.

“Well, you need to slow down,” he hugged her from behind, “I don’t want you getting sick.”

She closed her eyes and grinned, “But if I’m sick I get to spend more time with you.”

“True, but I will always want you to be well.”

“Yoo Youngjae, that mouth of yours is too sweet.”

He smacked her , earning a gasp from her.

“Brush your teeth and get ready. Mom prepared us breakfast.”

Goeun narrowed her eyes and clicked her tongue.

“You opportunist.”


 

As he was getting ready to leave, an unfamiliar car pulled up on the driveway. Daehyun parked his car and got out to see who the person was. A woman came out of the car, looking a little frantic. He slowly recognized who it was. She was Mani’s coworker from her old business.

“Can I help you?”

“Daehyun-sshi,” Jieun bowed, “I’m sorry to come at such an awkward time but I’m very concerned about Mani.”

“Mani?”

Just hearing her name made him alert, even in the early morning. It had been a couple of days. He would be lying if said he wasn’t worried himself.

“Do you know where she is?” he asked.

“That’s why I’m here,” Jieun explained, “I’m afraid something has happened to her. She hasn’t replied to any of my calls, texts, emails, nothing.”

“Same here. Do you know where she could be?”

“She’s not one to just get up and disappear like this, Daehyun-sshi. Something tells me Mani is in danger.”

Daehyun was puzzled. “But who would want to hurt Mani? She has never made any enemies.”

“I know one person.”

“Who?”

“Bang Yongguk. He’s put her life through so much stress ever since they hired us to work on their wedding.”

“But that doesn’t make sense,” Daehyun shook his head in confusion, “Why would he do that?”

“Because,” Jieun exclaimed in frustration, “they were childhood lovers. His crazy mother forced her out of his life and he’s been bitter

Please log in to read the full chapter