[Stories] Titles

SECRET Tutorials

Why do we need titles?

When pointing out negative and positive, let's use the colors green and red, okay?


Creating a title can be harder that writing a whole chapter of a story and it's understandable why there are so many titles that are the same. We all want our story to be perfect and have lots of readers who shower you with compliments about it. How do you get a lot of readers now?

Number one: Title.

Titles should be simple, yet complicated at the same time. They should have a meaning and should be related to the plot, without actually shouting out what is going to happen.

Titles like: "Tragic Love Story" is not something that you would like to see as a title of the new story that you would read. It screams the plot, guesses the mood and just announces the ending. Sometimes it doesn't, but that means that the writer might not know what a tragic love story is.

Titles like: "Confessions Of A Philophobiac" is a title that firstly: gets your attention second: you just start to adore the title. But that doesn't mean that you should start inserting strange scientific phrases that you might know their meaning, no. Even the best title can be unfitting if it just doesn't relate to the story. 

Titles like: "Overdose", with them being there just because the story is about someone from EXO is not something that you would want to read. We all love this song, but if we read a story, expecting some kind of a passionate love game or drug addicts... or both, we will not experience a pleasant feeling when we find out that the story is about a girl who thinks that her fate is being a werewolf or something. 

On the other hand, we can't always judge a story only on the title. There is the storyline that the author has struggled with for a long time, wanting it to be perfect. 

But let's face it, titles like: "I love my best friend, but he doesn't" will not gain the appropriate attention. I've seen things like this, they are not pretty.

"I slept with my future brother in-law, Kai?!" THOSE ARE A NO NO. Because thank you for revealing the plot! Thank you!

Not that I am the best when coming to titles, oh my god, no. I remember my first posted story was titled "Music is Life" ... but that was on the 3rd of December, 2010. What is your excuse? :D

Of course, sometimes it's not possible to think of an incredibly out-of-this-world title. Sometimes you don't need to be complicated, sometimes you need to be simple. But always try to show the mood in a story. If it's a comedy, use a funny title. If a tragedy, something heavier. That's how you will learn to differ when needing to create the perfect title. Literature is a big help as well. "Under The Yoke", a famous Bulgarian novel, written by Ivan Vazov, shows the life of the Bulgarian people while they were ruled by the Otoman empire.

"Yoke" - a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plough or cart that they are to pull. Meaning something heavy, under the empire's power, feeling helpless, feeling like an animal. 

"Single Daddy In Love" is a title that has always amused me ever since I saw it on AFF. I haven't read the story, because it was too long, but I have checked it out many times. It's somehow funny, original and unique. When choosing a title, try to make the reader feel lighter from the amusion. Try with titles that would have a positive effect on him/her.

Also, refrain from using strange words that are from the teenage slang like: ... okay, I can't really remember or think of something, but don't use strange words! Don't use words like "luv", "gurl", "u" instead of you and so on.


DON'T WRITE WITH CAPITAL LETTERS. IT'S REALLY ANNOYING, RIGHT? WE CAN ALL SEE. Pardon me. 


Writing with capital letters is not only disturbing, it's also annoying and just plain strange. Since we look for stories to read, means that we can read and have no problem in seeing your title. I strongly advise you not to write anything with capital letters, except the first letter of the words.

Don't use ellipsis, because it feels scattered and unorganized. 

And most importantly, always check your grammar. Always Google your title, if you have to. Grammar is the most important thing in a story, since it is the thing that allows us to see it. A person with bad grammar can read a good written story, but can't happen vice versa. People with good grammar don't read badly written stories because it just hurts their head. Don't be afraid to use MS Word and of course, if you are uncertain, look up the basic things like: I am, You are, He/She/It is. My, Your, His/Her/Its. 


So don't you fret, if you have a story that waits for your title, think of one and remember, that whatever it is, you will not be sorry, because it was made by you and no one else.

Let me know in the comments below on what you want me to talk about next time and what tutorials you want to see from us! 

As a blogger on tumblr that I follow, who loves TOP from BIG BANG, says: 

Peace, Love, TOP!

xD 

I will not use it again.