[Stories] Plot

SECRET Tutorials

 

Only one of, if not the most important element to fiction writing, let’s talk about plots.


 

What makes a good plot?

 

  1. Originality

Today, it’s hard to come up with something completely original without sampling from other works. But that’s okay, even some of the best artists reference from others. So read up, research other plots while attempting to create one unique to you.

Your plot should be different enough so that you won’t have 500 other stories just exactly like yours. Sure, everyone’s a er for the marriage-gone-wrong or the-annoying-boy-next-door stories, but we really have too much of those, especially here at AFF.

Look at world-famous works like Harry Potter or the Hunger Games. Their plots are complex, detailed, and highly original. You can’t say that there are other works that can match up to them.

 

  1. Clichés vs. Twists

A cliché is a part of the plot that happens so often in other works that it’s considered generic and predictable. An example of  a clichéd plot would be ‘a boy and girl fall in love with each other, but suddenly the girl becomes harsh and cold; the boy finds out later when she dies, she was only being cold so that he wouldn’t have to know about her cancer’. Sometimes, clichés fall right into unoriginality depending on how it’s used.

On the flipside, a plot twist is part of the plot that is so unexpected that the reader is caught by surprise. Twists, depending on how they’re used, can enhance the story and stray it away from generic, making it original and captivating. If any of you are Disney fans, you would have expected Anna to kiss Hans because only true love can cure her frozen heart. But instead, Prince Hans is revealed to be a narcissistic ??? That there, is a fine example of a plot twist.

 It’s not to say that you should write in twists in your plots, but you yourself have to decide what’s best for your story. Twilight is completely ridden with clichés (girl falls for the mysterious bad boy instead of the kind, protective puppy-like best friend), yet it is still a popular work.

 

  1. Complexity vs. Simplicity

Your writing style and plot go hand in hand to create a good story. If your plot is very complex, you must pace the story correctly so that readers may understand what is going on and not get lost. Complexity can make stories original as well, but originality is nothing when readers don’t know what the hell is going on.

But sometimes, simple plots work best. It may be as straightforward as an awkward nerd pinning for a cheerleader or a hero trying to avoid their prophesized destiny. The thing with simplicity is that it relies heavily on your writing to not become boring or tedious. If written right, a simple love story can become a five star work.

Tip: write a summary of your plot and have someone read it. If they ask questions, consider simplifying. Try taking out elements that you don’t really need. Try simplifying it down to a sentence or two.

Harry Potter: Harry must destroy all seven horcruxes to stop the dark wizard, Voldemort.
Mulan: Tired of being undermined as a woman, Mulan takes her father’s place in the army.
One Piece: Luffy wants to be the Pirate King.

 

  1. Ideas + Concepts

What are you actually trying to serve with your story? What is the purpose? At most, you’re trying to teach the reader something by the end of the last chapter. Whether it is that the hero learns that the only way to defeat the villain is to face his own weaknesses, or that one should never ask for more than they need, there should be a lesson learned.  

Try to get the basic idea of your plot. Is it loyalty, bravery, or rebellion? Getting the central theme may help you understand what you’re writing and will prevent you from straying away from what’s important. For example, if you’re writing about constant betrayal, you should outline the reactions to those betrayals, possible forgiveness, and/or the motives for betraying.

 

  1. Setting + Characters

Once you have a basic outline of your plot and know what the general idea is, it’s time to work on your characters! They can either be controlled by the plot or drive the plot themselves. In the Hunger Games, the characters are controlled by the plot (the games) but also control it in the way they rebel. It’s important that each character have a specific purpose in the plot or they’re not needed at all. Well-developed characters are essential; because they make the story much more interesting with the way they react and drive the plot.

Also equally important, the setting helps define the story you’re writing. Try to get the mood of the area and its people, so you know what emotions should be intertwined with your story. If your story is about survival, perhaps an apocalyptic, deserted town or the forest would do the trick. Sometimes the plot depends on the setting in order to develop (a definite example would be Lord of the Rings).

In specifics to AFF, most of you would know that we have an excess (understatement) of EXO fiction. We also have a lot of arranged marriages and highschool!AUs. If your plot lies under these, more or less it's already been done. Hopefully we'll upload a chapter in regards to characters! /cOUGH/

 

  1. Order of Events

plot-arc.jpg

In every standard plot, there is a problem presented. Also called the ‘conflict’, it brings interest to the readers and makes them wonder how this problem could possibly be solved with your character(s). Most often, the conflict is the plot. It could range from not being able to confess one’s love or being stuck in a room with no way out. The conflict is generally introduced at the beginning of the story in order to keep the readers interested after the initial introduction.

In the introduction, we should learn about the characters and the setting. Once the readers get a sense of who the characters are and where they stand, the conflict is introduced in a ‘set-up’. This is the first event that sets off a chain of other events that will eventually lead to the .

The is the ‘high point’ of the story, or the point in which emotion is heightened and the table turns. Plot twists are generally inserted here. In Cinderella, it might be the point where the prince manages to find the girl who fits the glass slipper. In Little Red Riding Hood, it’s the part where the wolf reveals himself as the disguised grandmother. After the , the action settles and the story ends.

 

Summary

There is quite a bit that I didn't go over, like sub-plots and plot holes, but I didn't want to go a bit overboard haha. 

There’s no concrete definition to a ‘good’ plot. The plot can literally be anything, only limited to your imagination. But it’s up to you and your writing to handle that plot, and make it better than what it seems to be.  For example, a movie plot could be utterly the stupidest thing you’ve ever read, but thanks to the actors’ superb acting, you may actually forget how stupid the movie is.

 

Hope this could be of some use to you guys! ^^ please send in some questions if you have any. Jenday is out~
 

tumblr_mbmw2oNZl21re454io1_500.gif