[Posters] Managing your resources

SECRET Tutorials

 

What do we need when we are about to make a poster? 

Resources.

And how do we get resources? From everywhere we can.

Tumblr, Deviantart, Google, we heart it, everywhere! Where ever you see something that you like, you save it and hope to see the day that you actually use it. Every designer is like that, there are countless textures that he/she has in her folders, but won't use for the rest of her life. It's okay, things like that happen. No, they actually happen a lot. 

And since I am so adorable, here, textures: Deviantart Google ... Tumblr is too bothersome for me. When seeking for different textures, just write "smoke texture, wood texture, etc." But don't stress over it. Everything will get better when you have more experience. You may use one texture in many ways, which is nice, but in time, you will start experimenting and it will all get better. A good thing when using textures is to get to know your layer filters... filters? I don't know, that thing's name, so here:

So those are your layer filters. They make the image in your layer look in a different way. We will cover this next time, by either me, jenday or katakatica. 

What I wanted to say is don't be afraid if the texture looks weird. It may look perfect in one of those types of layers. If it's space and you want to make visible only the stars, you can use lighter color, which allows only light colours to be visible, while the dark ones dissappear. The smae thing goes for Darker color.

In your resources you must have:

Models - They can be png or renders, which is mainly the same thing - cropped image of a model. You can also have models from photosession and just blend them in the poster. Here you can see different renders: link. It is important to know that the models should be in high quality, be a decent size, so they don't become of bad quality when stretching them, and if cropped/rendered, they should be done smoothly and nicely. 

Do you see this? This is not something that you should use in a poster, if you can't edit it on your own.

There are pieces of the background left, and it's difficult to recreate it, as the hair and arms are cropped in a way, that shows edges.

But do you see this one =>? 

Everything is cropped perfectly, and the hair is perfect as well. Look for renders/pngs like this.

You can find so many good models on deviantart. They are basically made there :D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anyway, back to work. 

Textures - As I mentioned before. There is a big variety of textures. 

PNG's - This may not only mean models, but other stuff like details, cupcakes, animals, whatever you want.

PSDs - This is an already made colouring that you can apply to your poster. Again, deviantart is the perfect place for psds. When using them, you open the psd as a different tab on photoshop and just drag the folder of settings from one layer box to your poster's layer box. You can after that adjust the settings by messing with the opacity, fill percentage and layer filters.

Fonts - Use different types of fonts when writing a title. You can get fonts from dafont (forgot whether it was .org or .net, just google it.) Install them on your computer and apply them in your posters.

Patterns- you can finnd them again, in deviantart. My advise is not to use patterns that are on an image, but real patterns like: link. It can also be a RAR file, containing PAT files in it.

Asianfanfics is also a good way to find textures. Just type resources in the search box and you will see a lot of stories that give links.

Don't hesitate to ask us anything!

What do you want else? Tell us in the comments below.