"Stage 4 -- END"

Immortality... or maybe love?

Heechul's POV:

I had mixed feelings as I went on to the final stage. On one hand I was happy to have survived the games, but on the other hand my worst fears had come true -- I had survived with hangeng. Now only the two of us were left, and only one of us could survive. If it were any other person I would have been determined to fight till the end, but I couldn't bring myself to harm hangeng in any way. My only hope was for the final stage to not involve any form of violence like the previous stage. I prayed silently to myself.

Hangeng's POV:

It was finally the end, now I was alone with heechul. I knew only one of us could survive, and I didn't really mind losing. I knew how much he had wanted to win. In fact, immortality didn't matter to me at all. I actually wanted him to win. It didn't matter, as long as we stay together, for as long as we can. 

"Chullie?" I said, not even bothering to deny my feelings anymore.

"Yes?" He asked, looking at me.

"I-I..." I hesitated before shaking my head. "Nothing, Chul."

"What's wrong? What did you want to say?" He asked, cocking his head to one side.

"It's nothing, Chul. Really." I replied as I pulled open the handle. 

"But..." He started. Then he pouted. "Never mind. I'll wait until you're willing to say it."

As we walked in through the doors, I saw nothing but a plain, empty room. I was shocked for a moment, since this place was so normal compared to the other stages. But nonetheless I had my guard up. It was impossible for this place to be anywhere near safe. Especially considering this was the final stage.

"... Chul, Do you happen to see anything that like I don't?" I asked, since nothing seemed to be changing.

"No... I don't think this is like the previous stage, Hannie." He replied, looking around.

"Well all I see is an empty, white room. What about you?" I asked wondering if there was some form of illusion or something.

"Hmm, me too. I don't think it has got anything to do with our sense of sight." He said. We sat down on the floor, wondering what to do next. 

"Hannie?" Heechul said.

"Yes? What's wrong?" I asked, looking at him. He was shivering slightly.

"I'm cold. Do you feel cold?" He asked. 

"No... Not really." I replied. "Actually wait." I said as I felt a cool blast of air rush past me. "I think you're right." 

Just then, cold gusts of wind started blowing, and I coughed. It was not only getting colder, it was even starting to snow. Of course I wasn't that affected, seeing as I had the gift of flame, but heechul, on the other hand, was shaking vigorously. I looked at him, and my heart broke for a second. All the color had drained from his face and lips, and his eyes were starting to get cloudy. Tiny drops of snow landed in his hair, glowing. I removed my jacket and placed it over him. He looked up.

"H-hannie... What are you doing? Aren't you cold too?" He asked, voice hoarse.

"No, chullie. I have my flame, remember? I am cold, but definitely not as much as you. You need it. Take the jacket, I'm fine." I said, wrapping the jacket tightly around him.

"T-thank you hannie." He said, smiling. His lips were starting to crack. I hugged him. 

"It's ok heechul. We will survive." I reassured him. 

"Go hannie. I'm too weak to even move now, so just go." He said. I shook my head. 

"No, I'm not leaving you here to freeze to death." 

"I'm not going to die, geng. You know I won't." He said.

"No, Chul. I know how much you want to win. And I am not going to take that away from you."

"But geng! If you leave now, then I will be free. The games will stop, and I will be released from this blizzard. So go now, I don't mind losing." He said, forcing a smile. I frowned.

"No, Chul. That's not the only way out." I said, determined. I conjured a ball of flame in my hands, and concentrated to make it bigger. I placed my hand in front of heechul in an attempt to warm him up. The flame extinguished not long after.

"Hannie. Stop it. Don't waste your energy. I'm fine, really. Just go." He said. I ignored him.

Another bigger ball of flame appeared. I was getting tired, there was no doubt about that, but I didn't let to show. I was determined to get heechul out -- not as a loser, but as the winner.

Heechul's POV:

It was cold. Really, really cold. I saw him attempting to warm me up, but it failed time after time. Yet he didn't give up. I was touched, but I really wanted him to go. He wasn't showing it much, but I could tell he was putting in a lot of effort. Making the flame was taking a lot out of him. it hurt to see him like that, suffering for my sake. Thus I kept trying to convince him to go, but he just wouldn't give up. I was tired by now, and I wanted this all to just end. I closed my eyes, and an image flashed in my mind. I saw hangeng, drained, lying on the cold floor covered in snow. I jerked up. 

"Hannie-ah. Don't hide it anymore... stop. Go. I don't want to win. Go." I said hurriedly. I didn't want to have to see that image come true.

"GO, GENG!" I shouted with all the strength I had.

"No, I'm almost succeeding." He said, as the ball of flame in his palms grew stronger, brighter. 

"No. Stop. Don't drain yourself." I said as I saw him shaking. He brought the flame in front of me, and with his last bit of strength made it glow brighter.

"NO, GENG NO!" I shouted. It was too late. Warmth engulfed me, but I was not at all happy. I looked at hangeng. He was starting to look like me just now, cold, colourless.

"Hannie..." I cried, shaking him. "Why?"

"Chul-ah, I let you win. You can go now. Go. My flame won't help for long. Go now, before the cold takes over again." He said. I shook my head.

"Go. Don't waste my efforts. Go, chullie." He smiled. 

"But... I can't just leave you here." I replied.

"Yes, yes you can. Chul, now there is only one way to save me -- to leave. Once the games end, I will be free, just like you said. Now go." 

"But..."

"Chul, like I told Leeteuk just now, we have to learn to let go. It's hard, but we must. So go."

"I can't say goodbye. It took effort just now, but now... No matter how hard I try, I can't."

"So try harder." He said.

"I can't." 

"You can, heechul. I trust you can. You must, if not for me than for yourself." 

"I... I will go, hannie. If only just to save you. But I won't say goodbye. Not now, not ever." 

"Good job, chullie. Go now Chul." He smiled. I smiled back.

"And yes..." He continued.

"What?" I asked.

"Remember what you said before we entered?" He asked. I thought deeply.

"Yes, in fact I do... Why?"

"That's great, because... My answer is yes. Yes, I do like you."

"I like you too hannie." I smiled as I made my way out in tears. 

"See you later..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yey so it has ended!!!! But the story's not over yet! There's still lots more to come. And by lots more, I mean really, a lot more. Anyway, heechul's gift will be revealed in the later chapters, so look forward to it :3 and look forward to more hanchul, and the start of kyumin. (: 

Please Comment/subscribe :3 <3