Seven: Sweater

Genuine

“Okay! Chicken wings are ready! Namjoon-ah, can you help me carry the stuff over?” Seokjin called as he placed the wings in a large serving bowl.

“Of course,” Namjoon answered as he pulled himself up and grabbed the bowl before bringing to the picnic blanket.

They were all sitting on the edges of the blanket and the centre was starting to fill with food. Yoongi and Jimin had brought two bowls of salad and a huge plate of assorted sliced fruit. Taehyung and Hoseok had made sandwiches while Seokjin and Namjoon had brought meat.

When everything was in place and everyone had taken a seat, they all wasted no time diving in.

“Kookie! Why are you eating so little?” Taehyung asked after swallowing some chicken.

Jungkook smiled. He was a singer and that came with a price. “I’ve got to watch my weight.”

Taehyung frowned before taking Jungkook’s plate and filing it with food. “How stupid. You need to eat! You’ll collapse one day.”

Jungkook grabbed the plate that Taehyung had to him. “You’re surprisingly caring.”

Taehyung grinned. “It’s called watching out for your friends.”

Wait. Did Taehyung just subconsciously friend zone him? . “Uh, thanks.”

“No problem.”

Hoseok sighed as he looked at Taehyung’s plate. “Have some fruits will you?”

Taehyung whined as the older placed a couple pieces of pineapple and melon onto his foam plate. “I want to save room for more meat though!”

“You’ve had enough protein, Taehyunnie. You could use some carbohydrates,” Seokjin commented. “You get more energy from fruit because it’s filled with sugars, like fructose, whis is a carb. A polysaccharide to be exact.”

Yoongi rolled his eyes. “Dammit, hyung. Your medical student side is coming out a little too strong.”

Namjoon threw a chicken bone at him. “That’s basic nutrition, you idiot.”

Yoongi snorted and resorted to resting his head on Jimin’s shoulder. “I’m sleepy.”

Namjoon scoffed. “Aren’t you always?”

“Shut up,” Yoongi grumbled.

Jungkook leaned into Taehyung. “Do they not get along very well?”

Taehyung grinned quietly. “No way, those two have known each other longer than my age. They’re best friends.”

Jungkook nodded and Jimin turned his attention to him while Taehyung went back to talking with Hoseok. “So how’s it going?”

Jungkook bit into a melon. “Good?”

Jimin frowned. “No, you dip. I was talking about how are things between you and our little prince?”

Jungkook snorted at the nickname. “Aren’t you guys the same age?”

Jimin punched him in the shoulder. “Whatever.”

Jungkook shrugged. “Well. I still haven’t made a proper move.”

The older’s jaw dropped. “Are you kidding? If you haven’t figured out yet, V is really oblivious.”

Jungkook sighed. “Yeah, I noticed but I don’t want to force my feelings you know? I kind of want Taehyung to fall for me but like in a natural way.”

Jimin raised an eyebrow before grinning. “Man, you never fail to surprise me. You’re actually a really good guy.”

Jungkook laughed. “Thanks. I’m usually not as big of an everyone seems to think I am.”

“I don’t think you’re an ,” Jimin replied.

“Thanks. You’re not so bad yourself,” said Jungkook with a small smirk that only earned him another punch.

“I take my words back,” Jimin joked before Yoongi took his attention away.  

They continued to eat and talk. All joyfully sharing random stories but Jungkook stayed quiet the most. He liked observing, it really helped me learn more about his hyungs.

He always had a hitch but now he was sure of it. Namjoon-hyung definitely had a crush on Seokjin. Every time Jin would put something on Namjoon’s plate, his expression would immediately soften. It was also pretty obvious that Jin had no idea.

Jungkook could relate.

The singer also took note of though Yoongi often seemed heartless and lazy, he was actually quite detailed and caring. He saw when Yoongi wiped something off Jimin’s lip or when Taehyung almost cut himself with a knife, Yoongi was one of the first to check if he was okay.

Hoseok was officially the nicest guy Jungkook had ever met. What amazed Jungkook was that every kind deed Hoseok would do, they would be all genuine. That was extremely rare nowadays in the entertainment industry. Everyone was only nice to you if they wanted something or they were trying to get on your good sides for their own benefit. When Jungkook noticed that there were no more sandwiches left, Hoseok was the first to notice and immediately offered up his own.

“Kookie! Could we please all come to your loft afterwards?” Taehyung asked suddenly.

Jungkook blinked. “Sure.”

Jimin smiled. “Awesome. We’ve never been there before. I’m kind of excited.”

The singer raised an eyebrow. “It’s not any different really. I barely do anything in it.”

“Isn’t it lonely living by yourself?” Taehyung interrupted randomly.

Jungkook cleared his throat. “Sometimes, but I’m rarely home anyways so it doesn’t really bother me. I like being alone.”

“That sounds actually kind of sad,” Hoseok commented. “If you want, you can come to Taehyung and I’s apartment whenever you want. The key is in our mailbox.”

Taehyung nodded enthusiastically with his eyebrows a little furrowed and his lips pursed together. “Yeah! I wouldn’t be able to stand living by myself.”

Jungkook smiled. “Thank you. You can’t stand loneliness?”

Yoongi scoffed. “You literally can’t leave Taehyung by himself for more than two minutes unless he’s sleeping. He’ll burst into tears guaranteed. The only reason why he’s able to sleep by himself is because of that little lion stuffed toy of his.”

Jungkook laughed while Taehyung shot the lazy rapper a glare. “Oh? Why not?”

“It’s a long story. Taehyung will tell you one day. It’s kind of personal,” Hoseok answered.

Jungkook nodded before sending a sweet smile at Taehyung who blushed in return. V turned to Namjoon. “Hyung! How do you know when you like someone?”

Namjoon choked on his drink. “What? Why do you want to know?”

Taehyung shrugged his shoulders. “I’m curious.”

Namjoon pondered. “You know when you feel nervous around them, I guess.”

Yoongi rolled his eyes. “That’s stupid. You would feel nervous around your prime minister right? You know you like them when you start thinking about ing them.”

Hoseok howled in laughter and Taehyung flushed. Jimin lightly slapped Yoongi on his neck before turning to Taehyung. “You know you like someone when you want to be with them, when you’re jealous when they are with someone else and when you feel all fluttery and inside when they smile at you.”

Taehyung nodded as if he was learning a super important lesson in physics. “Ah! I see.”

Seokjin sipped on his lemonade. “Taehyung-ah, do you have a crush?”

Taehyung tapped on his chin. “Nope-”

Jungkook’s heart fell.

“I think I’m developing one though.”

Jungkook felt lighter but didn’t Hoseok say that Taehyung liked one of his other friends earlier that day? “Is it that person you and Hoseok were talking about this morning while you guys were waiting for me?”

Taehyung panicked. “No! Hoseok was just teasing me. Why are we always talking about who I like this past week?!”

Jimin grinned. “Because until now, we all totally thought you were aual.”

Taehyung pouted. “Maybe I am! Leave me alone,”

Hoseok laughed before pulling Taehyung into a hug. “We’ll stop making fun of you, okay?”

Taehyung nodded before glancing quickly at Jungkook. The singer seemed to be absorbed by a piece of chicken on his plate. V straightened his back before sighing quietly to himself. Did he like Jungkook? Probably yes. Did Jungkook like him back? More like in a million years. The singer was nearly the epitome of perfection in society. He was talented, rich and handsome. Everyone was bound to fall for him eventually but what made it so much worst was that he was also kind, humorous and caring. Jungkook literally had all the girls in his school wrapped around his finger. He could get anyone with a single bat of an eye.

Taehyung finished another slice of banana. He’s never had feelings for someone in his entire life. The feeling was very new to him and he had no idea how to deal with it. Whenever Jungkook looked at him, he could feel his neck flush. Whenever Jungkook would make the effort to talk to him, he couldn’t help but feel happy but Jungkook was nice. He was like that to everybody. During class, when girls would approach him, he would treat them as long friends, not fans. He would agree to be partners with them and offer to help them if they needed any.

Didn’t Jungkook say he liked someone? That guy was sure lucky. Taehyung didn’t know what to do. His feelings were in a jumble and Jungkook only further confused him. The singer would be extra nice to him at times but at other times, Jungkook would be also extra close with Jimin, or one of their art classmates. Taehyung couldn’t get what Jungkook was thinking.

Jungkook was nearly the opposite of him. He enjoyed loneliness, was confident in himself, and easily opened to people. Taehyung couldn’t stand being alone, he was insecure at times and only a few people he had told knew about his darker childhood. The guy Jungkook probably liked was probably another singer.

“So! Jungkook-ah! Do you have any friends other than us?” Jimin asked teasingly.

Jungkook scoffed.  “Of course!”

Jimin raised an eyebrow. “Oh really? Like who?”

The singer his lips. “Other celebrities, idols like me.”

Jimin nodded before grinning. “Ah. So no more normal friends like us.”

Jungkook pouted but bit back. It was completely true after all. He wasn’t good at making friends. Jungkook was good at only faking it, something he learned after becoming a star. In the entertainment industry, you’ve got to be nice and humble to everyone even though they are your competition. You have to get on their good side because it will look good on you personally. It’s a business that measures your selfishness and tests how far you are willing to go for your own good. He’s only made a small handful of friends in the industry that he can call his true friends. Jimin and the others were Jungkook’s first actual friends outside of his double life. It was embarrassing but it was the reality.

Jungkook punched Jimin in the shoulder before grumbling under his breath. “So what?”

Jimin laughed even harder before wrapping an arm around his neck and pulling the singer into a hug. “I was only joking! We’re the best friends you could ever have anyway.”

Jungkook smiled. “I guess you’re right.”

The older faked a hurt expression. “Of course I’m right, you imbecile!”

Taehyung awkwardly moved his gaze somewhere else. The two seemed to get along so well even though they have only known each other for a short time. Taehyung would be lying if he said he wasn’t jealous. He wanted to be able to smile and joke around easily with Jungkook but he knew he couldn’t. Taehyung knew that he would only end up fumbling with his words and eventually make a fool of himself.

Sometimes he wondered if his personality was too weird. He had been told countless times from all sorts of people that he was four dimensional and alien-like. Taehyung wondered if this bothered Jungkook, if it made the singer uncomfortable around him. He sighed. Taehyung couldn’t do anything about it though; it was his personality.  Taehyung wondered if his personality would be to his downfall.

Taehyung chewed on his lip absentmindedly as he grabbed a plastic cup that was filled with orange crush. He brought it to his lips and Jungkook from beside him accidently bumped his elbow as he went to grab another slice of watermelon from the centre plate. The drink spilled over and onto his white t-shirt, staining the cotton a vibrant tangerine color.

Jimin and Hoseok burst out laughing. Jin raced over napkins while Namjoon and Yoongi barely noticed.  Taehyung felt his face burn with embarrassment as he wiped the shirt vigorously with napkins. The color wasn’t fading and it was obvious that it would leave a mark even after wash.

“Oh ! I am so sorry,” Jungkook apologized profusely as his eyes searched for something he could help Taehyung with.

“That’s going to leave such a bad stain. Do you have somewhere you need to be at after this?” Jin asked as he scrambled over to help.

Taehyung nodded. “Yeah, I have to stop by my friend’s house to help her move.”

Jin shook his head. “Oh man. We need to find you another shirt.”

Jungkook pulled his hoodie over his shoulders. Thank god he was wore a shirt underneath. “Here take this.”

Taehyung looked up. “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it.”

The singer swallowed. He hoped that Taehyung wasn’t mad at him. “No seriously. I feel really bad just take it.”

Taehyung hesitated but slowly took the sweater before pulling off his own shirt and slipping on the fabric. The blush didn’t disappear on his face, as Jungkook’s eyes never left him. “Thank you.”

Jungkook smiled. Taehyung looked really good in his sweater. It was slightly too big for him but that only managed to make the older look cuter. If that was even possible, that is.  “No problem.”

Taehyung did his best to calm his nerves for the rest of the picnic. Jungkook was so kind and Taehyung was so screwed.

He definitely liked him.


I know there are mistakes but I'm really tired. I'll fix them tomorrow. Thank you for all the lovely comments! xo