Chapter Three

Our Life Together

A/N: Fair warning. Fighting!

How We Met Part Two


Luhan watched as twelve males ran back and forth across their gym floor, he hollered when his younger brother was fouled and cheered embarrassing loud when he made both his foul shots. Luhan knew his brother was good, he was obviously the stand out on the freshmen team, and even on the JV team, though he didn’t start varsity he at least got to dress and sit with them during the game.

It was half time and Luhan watched blankly as the cheerleaders did a routine on the court. The team was one of the best ones around, obviously since all of the team was made of girls recruited from all over the world, but Luhan was to wrapped up in his own world to even care what they were doing, besides, girls weren’t really his type.

It wasn’t until somebody cleared their throat next to him that he realized half time was over and the teams have returned back to the court and were warming up. Luhan looked over, and was startled.

“H-hey Mark.” Luhan stuttered out, shocked and a little scared of the other’s appearance beside him.

Mark looked at him and then nodded back at the court, “Your brother’s a baller.”

Luhan smiled slightly and looked at his brother who went up for a lay-up, “Thanks. He may not seem like it but he has an astounding work ethic.”

“I can believe it. The kid’s good.” Mark replied before looking at Luhan, “Must run in the family.”

Luhan almost fainted from shock, Mark Tuan just complimented him. The guy that hates him just complimented him. Luhan just sat stunned not even noticing Mark standing and throwing his duffle bag over his shoulder.

“Have a good life, Luhan.” Mark called softly over his shoulder before walking down the bleachers.

Luhan, not quite hearing what he said, smiled brightly and waved to the male leaving, mulling over what just happened as he watched the red head walk out of the gym.

“Did Mark just talk to you?” A deep voice filled Luhan’s ears. Luhan looked up and saw Kris towering over him, he watched as the male stepped over the bleacher seat and settled down onto it.

Luhan nodded before smiling, “Yeah, he actually did.”

Kris laughed, “He doesn’t hate you Luhan. Quite the contrary.”

Luhan looked at the younger (by a few months) with surprise.

Kris shrugged, “It’s not that hard to tell. Everybody thinks Mark hates them.”

Luhan nodded again, pausing to cheer for his brother who just made a three pointer.

“Besides, I read your journal.” Kris added quietly.

Luhan whipped around with fire in his eyes, “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

Kris flinched at the tone but stood his ground and innocently put his hands up, “I accidently knocked it off your table and it fell open, don’t worry! I only read what was on that page!”

Luhan rolled his eyes, and mumbled hate you before turning back to the game. Ever since Sehun’s basketball try out, that he obviously made, Luhan and Kris have gotten closer. They have even spent the night over at each other’s houses before.

“So, he doesn’t hate me?’ Luhan asked casually after a long pause of silence.

Kris hummed, “Yeah, he actually wondered why you never came and talked to us, you know, since we’re friends.” Kris added, nudging Luhan.

“Probably cause I thought he hated me.” Luhan mumbled, making Kris laugh.

“Hey Captain, it’s time.” A tall brunette called to Kris. “Oh, hey Luhan!”  

“Hey Kyuhyun hyung!” Luhan smiled and waved.

“Sungmin, Donghae, and Eunhyuk are over there if you want to sit with them.” Kyuhyun nodded towards the seats right behind the bleachers, the three were leading the student section.

Luhan nodded and thank his sunbae and stood along with Kris.

“Hey Lu,” Kris called, effectively stopping Luhan’s heart, “Let’s grab something to eat after the game, okay? I’d like to continue our conversation.”

“Okay! I’ll wait for you outside the locker room?”

Kris nodded before bounding down the bleachers and out the door.

As Luhan walked over towards his hyungs, he was oblivious to the fact that Mark wasn’t wearing his basketball uniform, and Kris had Mark’s number embroidered on his sweat bands.

*******************

“So all you have left now is districts?” Luhan asked, thanking the waitress as she placed the check on the table.

“Yeah, then regions, then State. But we’re the best bet to win State.” Kris answered, his tone matter of fact.

Luhan snorted, “Obivously. You all only lost one game, and that’s because the whole team came down with the flu, and the starters had to be taken to the hospital.”

Kris laughed, “That is true.”

Luhan laughed as well, and they sat in comfortable silence as they finished their food, both ignoring their two siblings who were over a few tables bickering loudly.

“So, um, I noticed Mark didn’t play.” Luhan tried to bring up nonchalantly. He didn’t look up, afraid to meet the person’s gaze in front of him.

“That’s because he wasn’t there.” Kris laughed.

 “He was there during the other games.” Luhan added, having to wait for the Kris’s reply as the waitress came back and cleared their table.

“Yeah, well he was going to miss his flight if he stayed for the varsity game.” Kris finally replied, as he stared out the window.

“Luhan, people assume a lot of things about my friends and me.” Kris added, Luhan nodded because he knew that that was the case around their school.

“They assume that we’re quiet because we think we’re better than other people. They assume that we’re so good at what we each do because of God given talent, and that has some truth, but they ignore the blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifices we’ve made for the things we love. Mostly, they assume we have perfect lives.”

Luhan frowned, before slowly reaching across the table and grabbing Kris’s hand.

“We don’t.” Kris retorted, “Our lives actually. I think that’s why we’re all so close.”

“I’m sorry Kris.” Luhan said softly, though he was really apologizing because he too, had thought that way.

“Jongin and I are half brothers. My dad had an affair and then Jongin was born. Mom didn’t hold a grudge against my dad or Jongin’s mom. My parents were forced into an arranged marriage, and Jongin’s mom was the women he was hopelessly in love with but never got to have a happy ending with. And even though I knew that it killed my mom slightly on the inside, she just couldn’t be upset. And when Jongin’s mom passed, there was no hesitation to bring him and make him officially a Wu. I was ten at the time, and man Luhan, you should have seen him.” Kris spoke honestly and awed, “He was the cutest seven years old I have ever seen and I knew that I had to always be there and protect him. But I couldn’t. Dad moved me out to Canada for basketball training, he said the trips we took there frequently weren’t enough anymore. That I needed to be there twenty-four seven.” Kris spat the last sentence.

“I had to travel endlessly, seeing my baby brother and mother once or twice a year. Every goodbye, that, that was me going through hell. That’s why Jongin is stuck to my hip. He’s never said it before but he’s terrified that I’m going to leave him again.”

Luhan was stunned, he never knew that about the Wu family.

“The other three aren’t well off either. We’ve all sacrificed something, and it’s just hell. But right now, Mark is suffering the worst.” Luhan watched as Kris’s jaw clenched and his grip on his hand tightened slightly.

“You know, there’s this rumor going around that Mark and I are in a relationship?” Kris asked, finally looking at Luhan.

Luhan’s face went red, “I-I heard about it, yeah.”

Kris laughed, and it broke Luhan’s heart at how sad it sounded.

“We’re not. I would classify that as .” Luhan laughed slightly, “Besides, Jackson is head over heels for Mark and I could never do that to one of my best friends.”

Luhan’s eyes widened slightly before something dawned on him, “Jackson hasn’t been around.”

Kris nodded, “He’s back in Hong Kong right now. He’s competing for his spot in the Olympics. That’s why Mark and I have been inseparable; the other half of our group is overseas.”

Luhan bobbed his head, “Now Mark’s leaving?”

“Yeah, which is why he’s been so off lately. Jackson told Mark that he was in love with him, got onto the plane, and cut off his communication with us because he doesn’t want to hear the rejection from Mark.”

Luhan’s mouth dropped, “Seriously? Well. Was Mark going to reject him?”

Kris shook his head and chuckled softly, “They’re both idiots. They are the definition of love at first sight.”

Luhan giggled. “Well, is that where Mark’s going? To find Jackson and kick some sense into him?”

Kris’s face dropped. “No. He’s going back to the states.”

Luhan tilted his head.

“I’m scared Luhan.” Kris whispered as he dropped his head, “I’m scared they’ll never get their happy ending. I’ve seen what happens when you don’t get to be with the one you love, and it’s scary Luhan. I don’t want that for my best friends, but times running out.”

Luhan tightened his fingers around Kris’s hand. “Yifan,” Luhan called Kris’s real name sternly, “You can’t think like that. Jackson and Mark are amazing people, and if they love each other as much as you say they do, then they’ll get their happy ending.”

Kris took a few deep breaths and then locked eyes with Luhan, “What about you?”

Luhan tilted his head, “What about me?”

“Have you found somebody to find your happy ending with?” Kris asked tightly.

Luhan took a deep breath and looked straight into Kris’s eyes, “I think I have.”

Kris smiled softly and interlaced their fingers.

“If only things were that simple.” Kris muttered, before dropping Luhan’s hand.

“I’m going to the states.”

Luhan’s heart dropped, “When? For how long? What about Jongin?”

“As soon as basketball is done with. I don’t know, a while? Jongin understands that I need to go. He’s the one who told me to. He told me that he’ll be waiting here with open arms for his hyung.” Kris replied shakily.

He dropped his head and Luhan watched with tears pooling in his eyes, “Why?” Luhan whispered.

Luhan saw the tears that rolled down Kris’s face and dropped onto the table, “Mark,”

Kris started, only to pause and clear his throat.

“Mark’s dying.”

You're leaving. Is our story ending before it begins?


A/N: Drammmmaaaaa. The next chapter will probably be really short, and in present tense, then it'll probably go back to the past. Okay, well thanks for the comments! They absolutely make my day! I love all of youuuuuu!! Fighting! <3

You're a brave soul.

                                -Double XX