Chapter 9

Grayscale

School seemed eternal, but the only thing that was enjoyable for Hoseok during the day was having lunch with Yoongi. They properly caught up and made plans for the upcoming week that Yoongi would have off. They fit in their own personal time as well making sure to visit the hospital. 

For that trip, Hoseok had a lot in mind.

As soon as the teacher had dismissed the class Hoseok quickly stood up and nearly booked it out of the front entrance of the school. He decided that he would first go home to change out of his uniform and make a pitstop to the gas station to buy Taehyung some snacks before heading to the hospital. 

He made it home in record time and changed quickly into some jeans and a flannel. When he finally felt that he looked decent, he gave himself a few minutes of rest. He pulled the recorder from his pant’s pocket and held it tightly while gathering his thoughts. Taehyung’s vision was now gone and the recorder was the best way to communicate with him when he wasn’t there. He could speak his mind into that little machine and it would be conveyed to Taehyung and that made him oddly satisfied. 

With that in mind he clicked the play button and began to speak.

Before leaving his apartment, Hoseok had made sure to leave his dad a note promising he would be back home in the evening. He then found himself dragging around a plastic bag full of various snacks and treats he had come across. He casually swung around in a lighter mood and raised a hand to knock on the door when he finally reached Taehyung’s room.

“Come in.” Taehyung’s deep drawl could be heard from inside and Hoseok wasted no time in entering. 

“Taehyung! Did you sleep well last night? I brought snacks for you.” This time when Hoseok entered the room he found Taehyung sitting on his bed surrounded by his stuffed animals once more. Thin long fingers were running down the fur of a stuffed giraffe Taehyung had in his grip. 

He seemed more at peace and at the sound of Hoseok’s voice he quickly turned and let out a heart warming smile, “Hyung! Ive been waiting for you all day. You just left last night and I didn’t get to say goodbye.” 

Listening to his slightly accusing tone, Hoseok approached him and with gentle hands gathered one of Taehyung’s and intertwined them together, “You seemed too peaceful in your sleep, so I didn’t want to disturb you. Have you eaten yet?”

“No not yet, I haven’t had much of an appetite.” he replied and began to absentmindedly play with Hoseok’s fingers. At the mention of food Hoseok could see the grimace he made and he felt sorry. He remembered how difficult it had been for his sister to keep anything down with the intense chemo and radio therapies. 

“Well I brought a ton of snacks for you to pick from. We just won’t tell Jin ok.” 

Taehyung giggled at the latter half of what Hoseok had said, “Alright Hoseok hyung. Ill keep it a secret.”

They spend the following hour ripping open bag after bag of various snacks and sprawling them all over Taehyung’s bed. Taehyung knit picked at a few, but ate just enough to make Hoseok content. 

The next hour and a half was then spent listening to music and Hoseok was pleased to find that they similar taste in music. They were able to converse deeply over a few songs when the conversation began to shift, “Taehyung when was the last time you’ve gone outside?”

A frown adorned Taehyung’s voice as he replied, “Its been a while. Two months or maybe more? I actually can’t really remember.” 

Hoseok was quite shocked to hear that response and with that he made a bold choice, “Im going to call Jin over and get him to bring a wheelchair. Let’s go out to the garden.” 

Hoseok did not give Taehyung a chance to answer and pressed the nurse button on the wall to get him in. 

It took Jin less than a few minutes to enter the room almost breathlessly,”Taehyung is everything alright? Do you need anything?” 

“Everything is fine hyung. Can you get me a wheelchair? I want to take Taehyung out to the garden.” 

Jin grimaced, “I don’t know if it would be wise to take Taehyung out. I don’t think Doctor Choi will allow it.”

Hoseok decided to pull out the big guns in his arsenal of manipulation. He quickly strode to Jin’s side and grasped his hands in his own, “Aw please hyung! It will only be a little while I promise. Taehyung needs some fresh air out of this stuffy room. I’ll make sure he is comfortable and at your command Ill bring back him in. Please!”

Hoseok could see Jin’s resolution crumbling under his whiny tirade and with slight apprehension he sighed and nodded his head in agreement, “Alright, I will give you guys fifteen minutes. No more than that got it?” Jin stepped out of the room to grab the required wheelchair giving Hoseok and Taehyung time to celebrate their mini victory. 

As soon as they had stepped out into comforting sunshine of the gardens, Hoseok decided that this was the most beautiful part of Taehyung he had seen. Taehyung was now blind, but that didn’t stop him from breaking out into an ear splitting smile when the rays of sunlight had hit his face and he had taken a deep breath of fresh air. Hoseok couldn’t help but lay a hand on Taehyung’s shoulder as he pushed them along the little concrete trail amongst the plants. 

“Hyung describe everything for me.” 

Taehyung’s request almost caught Hoseok off guard and he could hear the underlying sadness in it. He glanced down at Taehyung’s face, but the same smile was still there, “Well there are a lot of trees and plants. There are some really nice yellow flowers next to us. Umm the grass is really green and I think I see a fountain a little ahead of us.”

Taehyung burst out into laughter at the end of Hoseok’s description and Hoseok was confused as to why,”What. Why are you laughing?”

“Im sorry hyung, but that description was so lame. You need to work on describing things a bit better whenever you are with me please.” Taehyung remarked as he quieted down his giggles. 

Hoseok let out a chuckle of his own, “Okay Im sorry, I’ll work on it. How about I give you another example?” 

Taehyung nodded his head in agreement and settled back in his wheelchair to listen carefully, “Well right in front of me I see one of the most beautiful human beings that I have ever come across. He has a stunning smile and he is always bright. He has helped me cope with a lot and I hope to do the same for him,” At this Hoseok could see Taehyung blushing from ear to ear and wringing his hands tightly in his lap, “So how was that one Taehyung-ah?”

There was a small bout of comfortable silence until Taehyung voiced his response, “That was really nice hyung, thank you.” 

The rest of the garden trip was spent in light conversation until a rather grumpy Jin approached them claiming it was time for Taehyung medicine. They entered the room once more and after Taehyung was taken care of once more Jin left letting them know that visiting hours were almost over. 

Taehyung became more anxious knowing that Hoseok had to leave soon, so Hoseok made the best of the little time they had. They spent it conversing and making a few promises here and there and when it was nearly time to go Hoseok promised him he would be back the next day. 

Hoseok then decided it was time to pass over his little gift. He pulled the little recorder from his pocket and grabbed one of Taehyung’s hands to place it in,”Here I got you this Taehyung. It’s a recorder. Promise me you will click the play button when I leave ok. I left a message on there for you.” Taehyung quickly nodded his in agreement and asked how to use it. Hoseok gave him quick instructions  and when Jin poked his head once more into the room he bade him goodbye with a warm hug and a kiss to the forehead.

Tomorrow would be a big day.

[Taehyung’s POV]

Taehyung hadn’t always been a very patient person and when he deemed that five minutes had passed after Hoseok’s departure he grabbed the recorder once more. He held it tightly in his hands and with gentle fingers he felt touched it all over to become familiar with it. He took a deep breath and with a shaking finger he pressed the play button.

“Hey Taehyung-ah, if you are listening to this I am probably out of your room already. I know this is super corny communicating through this, but it felt right. I want you to know that in the last several weeks you have turned into the most important person in my life. I care about you so much and somewhere along the way in getting to know you I think I have fallen for you… I know that I want to stay by your side through this and whatever you need just know that I am here for you. So in other words, will you accept me and become my… significant other? I don’t know… saying boyfriend sounds kind of cheesy, but that is what I want. I will be awaiting your answer tomorrow. Sleep tight Taehyunggie.”

Taehyung felt his jaw drop with every word that Hoseok said through the speaker of the little recorder. His eyes had become teary and when he heard the static of the recorder signifying that the message was over, he blinked and let the tears flow. 

He hadn’t expected something like this from Hoseok. 

Taehyung knew that he also had started developing feelings for him, but at this point Taehyung felt like a burden. He was blind and sick. Who would want somebody as broken as him? It was a waste of time for Hoseok and Taehyung did not want to be selfish.  

He wiped his eyes and carefully set the recorder down where he felt his bedside table. He settled down into his pillows and prepared for a sleepless night. 

Taehyung was attempting to build his resolve, but it was not easy.

 

[Authors Note]

Long time no see guys... I know I said I would update after finals, but I couldn't help myself. Im really sorry for taking so long, but I was just so busy with school and life. I plan on updating once more on my Christmas break but just give me some time hehe. I want to say hello and thank you to my new subscribers. Hi guys! I also really appreciate all the comments and the upvotes. I never thought that this story would get any views much less any upvotes. I truly appreciate it guys! 

I'll see you guys soon! :)