Chapter 1

Grayscale

The opaque white walls down the long hallways of the hospital had become a common sight for Hoseok. Ever since his sister had been diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her brain a few months back, his daily routine consisted mostly of booking it to the hospital right after school. Hoseok and his twin sister Hyeri had always been close and he felt himself grow more anxious at the thought of losing her. Just last week the Doctor had requested a meeting with his father and himself to talk about her outlook. The news was quite heart breaking when they had been told that she now only had around two months. The cancer was quite aggressive and had spread all over. Her body was failing her now.

Hoseok could see that with her sluggish movements and thinning body. When she had first been hospitalized Hyeri had still maintained a positive aura around her regardless of the mind ripping headaches and pain, but now she could barely sit up without any help. It didn’t matter what Hoseok did to help she was always tired but her words were always the same, “Thank you Hobi, I appreciate it.” He grew to hate those words because he knew he couldn’t do anything to stop the pain.

As he walked through the halls, Hoseok found that the hospital wasn’t as busy as it usually was finding it quite strange. He decided to pay no mind to it and shifted the plastic bag of tea that he was carrying in his hand. Hyeri was now eating through a tube because her body refused to keep anything solid down. Ginseng tea was her favorite and after a bout of intense chemo therapy the day before Hoseok thought the tea would cheer her up and get her to drink something.  His plan fell down the drain when the first sounds to greet him in her room were of her retching into a sick bowl held by her favorite nurse. Hoseok quickly ditched the bag by the entrance and ran up to help in any way he could. He gently placed a hand on her back and accidently looked down into the bowl. He didn’t mean to look, but the sight of blood made him quickly look up to make eye contact with the nurse whose worried glance made Hoseok’s blood run cold.

Seokjin was the name of her nurse and he had been assigned to her ever since she had been admitted to the hospital. The three of them had gotten along really well and whenever Jin, as he like to be called, had free time he would spend in the room with them either playing games or watching movies.

“Do I need to get the doctor Hyeri?” Jin asked as he patted her back gently. By now she was just dry heaving and through heavy breaths she managed to shake her head no. Jin helped her take a sip of water to clear . She finished and carefully sat back raising a thin paling hand to wipe at the sweat that had formed at her brow. She kept her eyes shut tightly in what looked like pain and whispered, “Im fine Jin oppa, I just want to sleep.”

That is all she ever did now. Through her intense vomiting episode she hadn’t noticed Hoseok running into the room. Feeling terrible, Hoseok retracted his hand that was about to grab her hand to show his presence.  Her energy was obviously drained and felt like he needed to let her rest.

“Oppa it looks like Hobi is running late. Can you wake me up when he gets here?” she managed to whisper through her scrunched up face. She was clearly in a lot of pain. Jin was about to open to tell her otherwise that her brother was standing right next to her, but Hoseok was quick to silence him.

Jin gave him a funny look and shrugged, “Alright Hyeri, I’ll let you know. I am going to bring you some morphine to stop the pain. I’ll be back in a little bit.” With that said Hoseok followed Jin out of the room.

“Hyung, she doesn’t have much longer now does she?” Hoseok felt the lump rising in his throat as he asked the question, but somehow he was able to keep his voice steady. Jin couldn’t meet his eyes and pulled him down to sit on the bench next to Hyeri’s room. Hoseok watched him carefully and he could see Jin was having a hard time trying to form words.

“Hoseok…. The new chemo we are giving her is really strong and proficient, but her body is too weak now to keep up with it. We are trying eve-“

“It’s ok hyung I get it. You should go get the morphine. Hyeri is waiting.” Hoseok couldn’t bare to hear the truth coming from Jin. Carefully standing up Jin gave Hoseok a pat on the back before heading off to get the morphine leaving him in his own musings.

The silence of the hallways irked Hoseok and the loneliness and anxiousness crept up heavily on him. His dad was never there. It had been tough to get Hyeri into the hospital she was in now and their dad had managed it through connections. One of his dad’s very good friends was a really respected doctor and had arranged to get Hyeri in. The hospital was very expensive, but an agreement had been brought up to make the payments easier on them. That just meant that their dad had to spend all of his time working. He never had time to visit Hyeri and Hoseok was left alone carrying the burden of watching his sister deteriorate. Just as her skin was losing color he felt like his world was losing its color with it. Hoseok had no other family to lean on in their time of need and it was overwhelming.

For once Hoseok didn’t feel strong enough to walk into her room and act like nothing was happening. He was always walking in with a big smile and stories to say to keep her preoccupied. Today was an exception, through watering eyes he quietly walked back into her room. He grabbed the bottle of the ginseng tea and a post it note leaving her a short message that he had walked in on her sleeping and decided her rest was important. Tightly gripping the bottle he left it on her stand next to her bed. She was still asleep, her hands tightly gripping the sheets around her. With gentle hands he unclenched her hands and fixed the beanie that covered her bare head. As he stared at her frail and pale form he quickly exited the room.

The tears had managed to escape his eyes as he carefully closed the door. He was blinded by them and he sat back down on the bench to let them out before he suffocated. Hoseok rarely cried and kept his composure pretty well but the emptiness of the hallway gave him an excuse to vent. He tried to keep his sobs quiet, but the hiccupping was inevitable.

"Did you know humans blink over 10,000,000 times a year?" a deep resonating voice quietly called out next to Hoseok.

 

Hoseok quickly wiped at the tears across his face feeling quite embarrassed getting caught crying. He thought he had been alone sitting in the bench outside of his sister's room, but that wasn't the case when he spotted a boy around his age dressed in a hospital gown gripping on to an IV stand casually near him.

 

The boy had unruly light brown shaggy hair that seemed to have a mind of its own. The fringe that sat on top of his forehead was almost long enough to poke at his eyes, but somehow the curled ends managed to avoid the curious eyes that were staring at him now. His boyish face and thin gangly body didn't really match up with the deep soothing voice he had just heard earlier

 

Hoseok was completely thrown off and he could only manage a confused look before muttering, "Wait... What?"

 

The boy just shrugged his shoulders slightly and with a blank look responded to Hoseok's question, "Well you were blinking your eyes a lot so I thought I should let you know." With that said he pulled his IV stand and managed to slip into the door right next to his sister's room without much difficulty.

 

Hoseok found himself later that night sitting in bed just thinking about the boy who had literally sprouted some random words, and had made him forget for a second the reason why he had been crying in the first place.

[A/N]

Here is chapter 1! Its a little bland and rushed so Im not entirely happy with it. I really wanted to get the first chapter out but I promise I will work hard in the next one! See you guys soon! I appreciate comments!