Chapter 5

Grayscale

Numb.

His body felt numb.

Jin’s words had certainly had been heard, but his brain refused to believe them. Jin at this point had followed suit, and sat next to him gripping his hand quite hard.

“We already informed your dad and he is on his way. Don’t worry Hoseok-ah I will be here for whatever you need me.”

This time Hoseok slowly stood up, pulled his hand out of Jin’s grip, and headed straight towards Hyeri’s room. The rush of nurses and doctors were ignored by him as he heavily made his way to his sister. She lay there completely still, her breath coming in tiny short gasps. The beeping of her heart monitor was inconsistent and whereas Hyeri had previously been covered in wires and tubes they all had been taken off by now.

Nothing could be done to save her now.

With gentle hands he gripped her icy hand in his, as he kneeled right by her bed. Her hand felt so stiff and cold and he could see her eyes struggling to open.

“Oppa.” Her tiny hoarse whisper sent Hoseok over the edge. A loud cry erupted from him finally feeling the magnitude of the situation. Loud sobs racked his body as he failed to keep himself together in her final moments.

“Don’t cry.” He almost didn’t catch the following whisper through his loud cries, but those two words gave him strength to finally speak.

“Hyeri-ah… forgive me for being such a horrible brother to you. I wanted to make everything better but I never could…” his voice cracked as another sob escaped him, but he had to finish, “I just want you to not hurt anymore. I love you so much Hyeri-ah. I know we will see each other really soon.” With those words finally off his chest, he leaned forward to press a kiss on her forehead.

“Don’t be… sorry oppa. I love you and appa both.” he was so close to her face when he kissed her forehead  that he was able to hear her final whisper because as soon as he pulled away the heart monitor went flat. The daunting beeping of the machine filled his ears and he was vaguely aware of the hands pulling him back out of the room as doctors and nurses surged forward.

He couldn’t understand why they were. They had signed a sheet not too long ago that stated that Hyeri did not want to be resuscitated once she went. It was a futile attempt.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. The door slammed closed but not before he caught a glimpse of one of the doctors unplugging her for good.

That was what did it.

He ripped away from the tight grip that held him in place and just ran. He was completely blinded as he ran not really caring that he was bumping into various things and people. He heard one of the nurses shouting at him to stop, but he paid no heed. It wasn’t until he finally rounded a corner down the hallway that led to the exit that he finally bumped hard enough into a person that sent him bouncing back.

Through his tear stricken face he looked up to see who had just mercilessly sent flying and he found somebody unexpected. His father’s pale face was looking at him from his seat on the floor. His father quickly stood up and brought Hoseok up with him. He wasted no time in enveloping his son in is arms and waited for the news to hit him.

“Appa! She’s gone! Hyeri’s gone!” Hoseok allowed himself to openly bawl on his father’s shoulder and as he clung on for dear life he felt him shaking just as hard.

[A/N]

Extremely short chapter but I just wanted to focus on Hyeri's death. Next one will be longer I promise. I want to get the story line moving more quickly now. Also I want to thank and welcome all the new subscribers! Hopefully you will enjoy this journey with me hehe. Alright guys, see you soon!

Oh! Comments are also welcomed. Thanks!