Chapter 10

Grayscale

The following day was a Saturday, and Hoseok was excited for the prospect of being able to go directly to the hospital. He quickly did his chores and sent his father off for work with a simple breakfast. 

He wasted no time in getting ready and packing a plethora of snacks from home to take for Taehyung. Even the slight rainfall that began as he stepped out of his home could not ruin his mood. He had finally (sort of) confessed to Taehyung.

Hoseok had always considered himself a hopeless romantic. The recorder idea had sounded wonderful to him at the time, but now he felt the complete cheesiness of the simple notion. Regardless, he couldn’t the grin on his face as he stepped into the front doors of the hospital and greeted the staff who knew him very well by now. 

He encountered Jin as well, but Jin was always busy and could only manage a quick wave as he wheeled a patient into an elevator. Hoseok finally found himself outside of Taehyung’s room and he felt the nerves he had been suppressing rise up in a sudden rush. 

What if Taehyung didn’t want anything with him? 

What if Taehyung didn’t feel the same way?

These two thoughts swirled in his brain almost making him want to turn around and head back home. He held the doorknob with a shaking hand, but pushed all his resolve forward. Regardless of the anxiousness he felt, Hoseok had never been a patient person. 

He knocked once and strode right in to find Taehyung sitting in his bed with his knees brought right up to his chest. His face was buried in his knees and his arms were wrapped tightly around them. Even as he shuffled in, Taehyung didn’t make an effort to acknowledge him. This threw Hoseok completely off.

“Taehyung-ah are you feeling ok?” 

At the sound of his voice, Taehyung slowly raised his head in his direction. He stayed completely still and with a shaky voice muttered, “Hyung.” 

Hoseok began to worry at the condition Taehyung was presenting himself. He approached him carefully and once he was standing right beside him he lay a hand on his shoulder, “Do you want to talk about it?” 

Taehyung shuffled on his bed to make space, but he still maintained his posture. Hoseok took it as an invitation to sit down and he did just that, “Im here for you Taehyung-ah. Take your time.”

A short bout of silence ensued after his comments, but once Taehyung started speaking it was hard to get him to stop, “Hyung I listened to the recording last night like you asked me to. Everything you said was absolutely beautiful. Ive never had anybody in my life like you and I feel immensely lucky. With this said I can’t accept your feelings hyung. Why would you want somebody sick and broken like me? Why would you waste your time with somebody like me?” Taehyung’s voice had cracked at the end and Hoseok felt like his heart had dropped.

Hoseok couldn’t even begin to wrap his brain around what Taehyung had just told him. Was this the way Taehyung felt about himself?

“Hey, I don’t ever want to hear you say ugly things about yourself. You are definitely not broken and you are getting better. Jin hyung just told me that they are going to reduce your radiation therapy because your results are showing so much improvement. Tae you are such a beautiful person inside and out,” he took the opportunity to grab Taehyung’s hands and grip them tightly in his, “I would be crazy not to fall for you. In fact… Im in love with you.” 

He had decided his feelings when he had relayed his day with Taehyung to his dad. The feelings of complete bliss and peace that he had felt when he had told his dad had added to the adoration he already had. He had decided then that he had fallen completely in love with the knucklehead. 

Hoseok’s refutal had completely caught Taehyung off guard. He was now attentive and even though he was missing Hoseok’s eyes by a few centimeters he could still read the shock his gaze expressed. 

“Are you lying to me?” was the only thing Taehyung seemed to be able to say. 

Hoseok nearly snorted at the question, “Kim Taehyung I am opening my heart to you and here you are asking me that. I, Jung Hoseok am in love with you, Kim Taehyung. I am not lying to you. I meant every single word I have said now and in the recording. I want to be with you.” 

Taehyung didn’t say anything. Instead he pulled his hands out of Hoseok’s grip and threw them around him in a tight hug. His actions spoke more than a thousand words, but Hoseok still wanted to confirm, “So does this mean you accept my feelings?”

Taehyung had managed to cuddle into the nook of Hoseok’s neck and he felt his lips trembling gently against the sensitive skin. Hoseok had to strain his ears, but he caught the reply, “Yes. I accept your feelings hyung.” 

Hoseok felt absolutely overjoyed and with gentle hands he separated from Taehyung to lightly grip his chin, “Taehyung… is it alright if I kiss you?” 

The question brought a slight blush to Taehyung’s cheeks and with a sheepish grin he nodded his head in agreement. Hoseok used his other hand to carefully guide Taehyung’s face towards his. It almost felt like an eternity for their lips to meet, but when they did, Hoseok felt like a thousand fireworks had exploded all over his body. The kiss was absolutely innocent and Hoseok could feel Taehyung’s slight nervousness as his lips trembled against his. He let go of Taehyung’s chin and grabbed his hand instead to rub soothing circles to give him confidence. This seemed to work because Taehyung then took the initiative to deepen the kiss, and Hoseok couldn’t help but feel happiness bubble up inside of him. 

The kiss didn’t last much longer, but it had been the most glorious one Hoseok had ever experienced. It held so many promises and expectations and Hoseok was ready to give his all. He wanted to make Taehyung happy once more and to do just that he needed to get him out of this room. He needed to give Taehyung his life back.

And he would do just that. 

 

[A/N]

Guys I am SO sorry for just uploading this. Life hit me hard and I am still super busy. I don't know how often I will be able to update, but I will try. im still try to put out chapters for my other two new stories. Thank you guys for waiting so long. See you soon!