03

Always Be Here

It was a sunny peace Sunday. I was just lying in my bad listening to CNBLUE song and read some fanfics until I heard my Mom called me from down stairs.

“Yes Mom. What’s that until you have to shout out my name?” I sighed as step from my room and made my way down stairs to meet her. I know she hate it the most when she has to talk to me and I don’t show up in front of her.

“You should get change and dress prettily. I and your father should meet our old friend. Well, our old neighbor to be exact. But suddenly there’s a call from the university and ask him to attend some meeting now. So he can’t make it and now, I asked you to come with me. I don’t take no as an answer. Go and change quickly,” she ordered. Didn’t want to make an argument with her after she scolded me 3 hours nonstop last week, I went to my room and change into a pretty summer dress and light make up. Well, when my mom asked me to dress prettily it means no jeans and tees.

“Here we go!” I exclaimed as made my way to her.

“Oh how pretty you are. You know, you should wear this kind of thing even more than shorts or jeans,” she said as got in to the car. The old friend should be very important to them looking from how she dressed and made me dressed up.

“So, who’s actually this old friend? They look so special to you,” I asked when my mom try to find the good way to explain this thing to me.

“As I told you, we were actually neighbor. It’s a long time ago when you just about 2 years old maybe. Like us, they’re from Korea so it’s easier to us to be a good friend. We often spent holiday together back then. Especially when summer, we loved to go to the beach,” she explained while driving. Based on smile on her face, I can judge that it was a really good memory for her.

“And how can I not remember any of it? How do I suppose to address them?”

“Honey, you just little girl back then. Just call the way you call me and your father.”

“Mom and dad? Is it weird that I call them by that name while I don’t even remember anything about them?” confused with my mom suggestion. It would be weird right? It’s like the first time I met them.

“No baby. They will be pleasured. You’re like their 3rd daughter anyway. They love you so much. Oh ok, we’re here. Let’s go!” I got out from the car. Still confused, I just followed my mom to a closed door. Screaming was fulfilling the room when my mom hugged a very pretty middle age woman. In that room, there were also a man and a very pretty young lady. They smiled at me as I bowed.

“So, is it Yaejin? Asked the woman after she released from their hug. I just nodded my head as an answer.

“Omona. You’ve so much grown up. When did the last time I see you? Your 4th year birthday? How old are you baby?’ She asked me as put her arms around me and led me to sit beside her.

“I’m 22.”

She asked me one and another thing. The man right there is Mr. Lee Namgyu and the beautiful lady is her 2nd daughter, Jinri. She’s 5 years older than me. I didn’t know why, but the father’s name seemed familiar to me. Is it one character from the drama I’ve watched? I don’t know. It’s not important anyway. The chats flowed as we ate our food.

“So, what’s the occasion until you come here onnie?” asked my mother to Mrs. Lee.

“Well, our son held a concert yesterday in Fukuoka and we decided to support him when suddenly my husband misses his best friend and asked if we can extend our trip to visit you. Fortunately you haven’t changed your phone number after the last time I called you,” she explained as a smiled sweetly to me. I smiled back to her. Oh, I started to like her and this whole family. Maybe my mother did tell the truth about our relationship. We’re not awkward at all. The atmosphere was warm and fun.

“Your son? Jonghyun? Ommo onnie, I wanna see him. How’s his looks now?” my mom asked in full excitement. The sparkle in her eyes could tell that she’s totally excited about this guy thing.

“Oh, he’s grown to be a handsome guy I guess based on the amount of fans he has,” Mrs. Lee giggled at her on words.

“Fans?” my mom asked in confusion.

“Yeah. Didn’t I tell you that he held a concert? He’s a guitarist in a band now. CNBLUE. I think they’re pretty popular here in Japan.”

“WHAT?”

“Cool Yaejin. You know them? Ah girls in your age should know them.”

“Omma, you mean.. your son.. is.. Lee Jonghyun.. the guitarist from CNBLUE?” I stuttered. This can’t be true! The almighty Lee Jonghyun was my neighbor?

“Yes he is,” she answered me with a nod and sure tone.

“You mean, this guy?” I gave him my cell phone with Jonghyun’s photo as the wallpaper. Mr. and Mrs. Lee and also Jinri rounded to see my phone.

“Yep,” they said in unison. I can’t be more shocked as I covered my moth with both of my hands.

“You’re a fan of him?” Jinri asked me and handed my phone back after looked at it for some times.

“I’m a big fan eonnie. Oh my God. This can’t be true. I like reading a fairy tale,” all of them laughed of my words. Mrs. Lee hugged me and said that I’m cute with all the responses I gave.

“You want his phone number? Oh he’s gonna kill me for giving a fans his phone number,” Jinri scoffed as searching for his brother’s number in her contacts.

“No, Jinri. Yaejin is not a fan. She’s our family. Or should I call him now? Maybe he remembers you,” Mrs.Lee suggested. Mr. Lee nodded his head as approval. He thought his son wouldn’t mind.

“No problem Omma. He might be busy with concert preparation. The concert will be started soon right?” I refused her tempting offer. Oh I wish I could shout out that I really wanna hear his voice. And said a little good luck. It was every fan girl dream right?

“Oh my God, you surely such a big fan, Yaejin. You even know when his concert starts. It’s okay. We can call him,” Jinri told me and dialed his brother number, putted it on speaker.

“Oh noona. What’s up?” the familiar voice heard in the other line. His voice. My body trembled of nervousness. I just shook my head can’t speak any words.

“Just. What are doing? Finished rehearsal?”

“Yeah. Short of. What’s with sudden call? You barely call me before concert though,” he said. He’s panting. Maybe tired after the rehearsal. I could hear Jungshin called him at the back and he asked him to wait for a minute.

“Well, I, Mom and Dad is meeting our old neighbor when we lived in Osaka. You remember them?” she asked.

“Hm.. Not sure. So?”

“Their daughter is your big fan. Maybe you can greet her,” she suggested. “Just speak. I put you on speaker anyway.”

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo. I’m Lee Jonghyun,” he said with formal tone. Jinri eyed me to reply his greeting. I shook my head. I can’t utter any word. It’s not real.

“Speak, baby,” his mother patted my shoulder and assured me to reply. I inhaled and exhaled.

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo. I’m Kim Yaejin. Nice to call you Jonghyun-ssi,” I didn’t know what to say. Everyone laughed for looking my nervous face.

“Just address him oppa like you always do, Yaejin,” Mrs. Lee told me and I just looked at her with confusion. Again, she nodded her head to assure me.

“Say something more, Yaejin. You said you’re his big fans. Don’t miss this chance,” Jinri teased me as wink his eyes. Oh I hate that my heart beat so fast. I can faint anytime soon.

“Hm…. Good luck in your concert.. oppa,” I said I very low voice even I doubted he can hear it. Especially the oppa part.

“Oh, gomawo.” And silent appeared between us. Only giggles from the three older people that are heard.

“Oh ok, Jjong. I should hang up. Yaejin can faint anytime soon if she keep hear your voice. Good luck!”

“Good luck son!” Mr. and Mrs. Lee said in unison to his son. And Jinri hung up. We all laugh for the very awkward conversation before. Everyone kept teasing me and make my face even redder. This very lovely meeting should be ended as their flight was in 2 hours. My mom offered them a ride to the airport so we can still have some chatting in our way to the airport. Not only my mom, I also felt this meeting is not enough. It’s weird how I missed them considering I didn’t remember any memories we had back then.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee bid their farewell and gave me a warm hug. Jinri didn’t come with them, she’d meet her friend here. My mom asked her to stay in my home and asked her to meet her friend tomorrow because it was late enough. I was happily sharing my room with her. I’m an only daughter. I have none beside Ayumi, my best friend. So It would be great to have Jinri with me even just one night.