Chapter Fifteen

Where Did You Come From?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C H A P T E R F I F T E E N
I straighten my heavy shoulders
And go up on my first stage

I think I’m going to be sick…

It definitely wasn’t the first time Aeri had performed in front of people, but her high school talent show stage didn’t really compare to the hundreds of waiting producers and managers and trainees and press. Nervous butterflies were fluttering around her stomach, and she had to remind herself to breathe deeply to settle them, fidgeting with her newly manicured nails in her lap.

Hearing the trainees before her completely own their performances didn’t help much. Every exhale trembled audibly, and she could only be thankful that Jiho had left for a bathroom break so he couldn't watch her try to surpress her nerves.

It had been simple before she discovered that video. Now people were expecting things, ready to judge her at a moment's weakness.

Sighing, she tucked a strand of wavy lilac hair behind her ear and stood up, letting the chiffon that had pooled in her lap flutter against her legs as it fell to the floor. Everything had to be changed with the new song. Where she was planning to wear high waisted trousers sit on a stool, she now wore a smokey grey floor length dress, halter necked and layered with wisps of netting. She would have to stand and pray that her knees wouldn’t buckle, as Jiho stood and sang by her side, a sea of eyes staring her down and judging her.

Don’t be discouraged. Fighting~!

Usually Jungkook’s words of encouragement would be enough to calm her down, but the effect they had this time wasn’t entirely soothing. The browned haired maknae hadn’t spoken to her since the day she found out about the video, and so had never confirmed whether he would actually be present. Whether he came or not was really not a problem - she understood idol life well. He was probably still tired from promotions, and sometimes things just came up out of nowhere; practices, photoshoots, impromptu fan meetings.

But the uncertainty made her uncomfortable, and she didn't like not knowing. Seeing him in the crowd, his bunny smile and doe eyes... well, she certainly wasn't ignorant of the calming effect he had over her. No, forget what she thought before - she wanted him there. She wanted to see him with that charming eye smile, shooting her a thumbs up whenever she looked at him and cheering her on. Her first friend.

With another sigh, she moved over to the dressing table and checked her phone one last time, before dejectedly slipping it into her bag under the table.

"Aeri-ssi... are you ready? It's almost our turn."

She turned around to find Jiho standing in the doorway, his comfy jeans and vest swapped for skinny black pants and smart plaid shirt. The sleeves were rolled up, revealing the arm of tattoos he sported, and still his beanie sat on his head like it had permanent residence there. Seeing him look so relaxed seemed to help a bit, and with a timid nod, the girl swallowed her nerves and followed him out.

People bustled in the corridors, running around to fetch the next acts and make sure everything was running smoothly. As she walked past, they would glance at her for a few seconds, their faces blank as they followed her, before returning to their duties - it was something Aeri didn't think she would ever get use to. Up ahead, she could make out Sumin's voice over the music, and she silently wished the blonde and her teammates well. Her fingers rubbed at the bone of her opposite wrist nervously, something to distract her from chewing her nails, and she breathed gently through her nose.

And then, as someone hurried past her, she slowed to a stop in the middle of the corridor and gingerly turned her head.

Ah...

The tall brunette was stood in much the same position as Aeri, paused in the corridor, looking back over her shoulder with an empty expression and not a word spoken. The two simply watched each other quietly, observing, waiting for the other to move but it never came. Behind Minji, her teammates had noticed her absence and stopped, looking at the exchange with interest as Aeri felt a hand slide around her forearm.

"Aeri-ssi... we need to go," Jiho said lowly, tugging her gently in the direction of the stage. The lilac haired girl only turned back to look up at him briefly, before her gaze returned to the girl behind her.

Minji seemed to take that as her queue. 

"I still don't like you."

The statement made the boy raise his eyebrow, but the girl didn't make any movement, any acknowledgement.

Minji carried on. "There's just something about you that irritates me." Or maybe I'm just irritated at myself, she added to herself as an afterthought, her face still stoic. "... Anyway... tonight, we're all in the same position.... so........ good luck."

Without another word, she her heel and hurried away, her two baffled teammates stumbling behind her. Aeri was left bl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter