Part Nine

Louder Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Part Nine Finding The Words.

Aerin

I curled in on myself. The ruckus outside my door coming through the wooden frame like it was made out of paper. I pressed my palms to my ears, trying to block out the sounds, but it was useless. Tears tracked over the bridge of my nose and down my cheek. Kibum and Haeyun’s voices were clear along with Inguk’s. But there was one voice that I didn’t want to hear. A voice that brought back heart wrenching memories. Memories that I didn’t want to remember.

“At least let him explain himself!” Inguk demanded.

“Hell no. He plotted with that little witch and ruined Rin-ah’s life,” Kibum deadpanned.

“I didn’t have a choice. I was trying –” Minhyuk was cut off by Haeyun.

“Nobody cares what you have to say. You’re just as guilty as that evil prima donna,” my twin countered.

“Isn’t it up to Aerin-ah if she wants to listen to what he has to say?” Inguk asked, his tone filled with irritation.

“She doesn’t want to have anything to do with him, trust me,” Kibum answered.

“Fine, then at least let me go in there and talk to her,” the eldest insisted. There were a few long moments of silence, probably an eye conversation between my brother and best friend – discussing whether they should let the curator into the room or not.

“Only you,” Haeyun emphasized.

I was all too aware of the knob turning and the door clicking open. Gently the door closed and footsteps padded over to the side of the bed. I bit my lip, screwing my eyes shut. The bed dipped as he sat.

“Rin-ah,” Inguk called to me, pulling the blankets from over my head. A whimper escaped my lips, a sound that was pathetic even to my own ears. Inguk shushed me, his large hand my hair and my arms consolingly. Sliding forward, he wiped away my tears and sighed. “Rin-ah, come here,” he commanded, grabbing my arms and lifting me to his chest. His arms were firm around me as he patted my back and ran his fingers through my hair, gently rocking us back and forth. In return I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, clinging to him and seeking comfort in his embrace.

I don’t know how long we sat, holding each other, but when he gently pulled away from me he his thumbs over my cheeks. “Aigoo, look at these tears. Why are you so pretty even when you cry?” Inguk asked with a bright smile on his lips. Pushing my hair away from my face, he looked my straight in the eyes. “Look Rin, I know you don’t want to talk to Minhyuk-ssi, but I think you should know his side before you decide that you don’t want to see him again,” the elder reasoned.

I hiccupped, lifting a hand to wipe my face. You don’t know what happened, please don’t make me face him.

“I don’t know the entire story, but he told me some of the story, and I think you should listen to him. It might change your mind about him,” he insisted.

You wouldn’t say that if you really knew. I signed.

“Cheoje– …  Yoonhye-yah bullied you right? For a long time from what I’m told,” I hid my face, ashamed. He pulled my hands away from my face. “Rin-ah, you don’t have any reason to hide. She’s the one in the wrong,” he said gently. I shied away from him, turning my face and trying to move away, but he caught my wrists and held me steadfastly in my spot. “Do you even realize how strong you are?” his voice was laced with an indiscernible emotion. I met his gaze, both of our eyes b with tears.

I’m not strong. I protested. He cupped my cheeks, sighing.

“But you are. You could have run away, transferred to another school, anything but sticking through it,” Inguk urged. “And that makes you so much more beautiful as a person than Yoonhye could ever hope to be,” with nimble fingers he brushed my bangs away from my face as he spoke. “Now be strong again. Just listen to what Minhyuk-ssi has to say. I’m not saying to forgive him, just let him say his part and then you can decide for yourself.”

I worried my lip, uncertainty swirling around inside me. I didn’t have the confidence or the courage to face him. “I’ll be right there with you. I won’t let anything happen to you. If he decides to be a jerk I’ll punch him right in the face,” Inguk stated assuredly, jabbing to the right to emphasize his point. A tiny smile danced across my lips at his antics. “So, will you listen to what he has to say?”

Slowly I nodded, sliding to the edge of the bed. Inguk led me out the door, a comforting arm around my shoulders. We walked the short distance to the living room and, as we rounded the corner, Minhyuk stood from his spot on the couch at the far side of the room. I halted in my tracks the moment I saw his towering form. My airways constricted and made it hard to breathe. Inguk pressed me into his side, rubbing my arm encouragingly as he pushed me the last few steps to sit on the loveseat. A distance of six feet was between me and Minhyuk as he sat down. Haeyun and Kibum stood by the kitchen’s entrance, staring Minhyuk down with piercing gazes. He ignored them and instead focused on me.

“Hi Aerin-ah,” the gentle melody of his voice sent my heart tumbling. Nervously I twisted my fingers around the fabric of my skirt, watching as my hands fidgeted of their own accord. Inguk took a seat next to me, sitting between the tall musician and me. His large hand covered mine, stopping my trembling hands.

“Can you just get on with it? She isn’t going to say anything to you,” Kibum jeered, pursing his lips.

Minhyuk took a deep breath before nodding and began telling his tale.

Minhyuk

Minhyuk slouched against the plush cushions of the arm chair, sitting at his and Aerin’s favorite table. It was one that gave them a clear view of the passersby on the street as well as privacy from the rest of the café goers sitting near the front door. He took a long sip of his caramel macchiato, the gentle fragrance of the drink reminding him of his absent girlfriend. Sighing heavily he opened the book in his other hand and started reading ‘The Alienist’, a book Aerin recommended to him from her vast library.

Barely having flipped the cover open, a feminine and overly sweet voice rang across the sparsely populated business. “Omo, Minhyuk-ah!” Minhyuk felt himself cringe as he looked up to see Yoonhye zigzagging through the tables and chairs to get to him. He groaned, closing the book before grabbing his cup. He took a large swig, hoping if he finished his drink and left she wouldn’t follow.

She slid into the seat across from him, placing her steaming mug on the table. “It’s such a surprise to see you here,” Yoonhye chirped.

“Sure it is,” Minhyuk bit out, taking another large gulp.

“Oh don’t be like that,” she cooed, blowing on her drink before taking a small sip. “We were almost friends, weren’t we?”

Minhyuk scoffed. “We weren’t anywhere near being friends. On any level.”

“That hurts you know,” Yoonhye gasped, placing a hand over her heart. “How can you say that to me when you know how I feel about you?”

“Don’t even try that crap on me. I’m not dumb enough to actually think you like me. You only want me because I’m with Aerin,” the taller retorted.

“Keep telling yourself that, but it won’t change the truth. I like you Minhyuk-ah,” her tone lowered, attempting to sound sensual and sincere but to Minhyuk it sounded fake.

He downed the last of his drink and turned to shove the book in his bag so he could leave. Yoonhye stretched across the table, placing her hand on Minhyuk’s to stop him. “Don’t be like this Minhyuk-ah, let’s talk for a little while, hmm?” she pouted. The younger rolled his eyes, ing the book into the confines of his satchel.

“I have nothing to talk to you about,” he deadpanned, shouldering his bag.

“Are you sure about that?” she asked, sitting back and looking at her perfectly manicured nails. “You aren’t curious about my plans for your precious Rin-ah?” her tone was mocking, taunting him.

Minhyuk paused, turning in his seat with his lips pressed into a serious line. “What are you talking about?”

Yoonhye rubbed the polished surface of her acrylic nails. “I thought you didn’t want to talk to me,” her pouty lips turned into a slight frown.

“Just tell me what you mean,” he growled, glaring at the girl’s flippant attitude.

Yoonhye sighed, meeting Minhyuk’s dark gaze. “Well you see, it’s the same tune I’ve been singing for the last two and a half years. Break up with Aerin. If you don’t, well this time I’m going to be stepping up my game.”

“Step up your game? What, are you actually going to do the dirty work now?” Minhyuk sneered, rolling his eyes.

“Au contraire,” Yoonhye clicked her tongue as she tsked. “Why don’t I show you what I mean?” she offered, a seemingly benevolent smile on her face. Ignoring the drink she hardly touched Yoonhye stood, holding her pink clutch in one hand and motioning for Minhyuk to follow her.

With a frustrated moan he trailed after her. He pulled his scarf tight around his neck as they stepped out into the chilling wind. She sashayed down the street, leading him three blocks from the café before she took a sharp turn around a corner and into an alley. She waited for Minhyuk and took him the final stretch to a secluded, covered area where the alley came to a dead-end.

“What is this about?” Minhyuk demanded, getting more irritated than he already was.

“I’m giving you a taste of what’s going to happen to Aerin if you don’t break up with her,” her words were sickeningly sweet, betraying the malicious connotation under them. As if on cue, four men trekked down the snow covered pavement toward them. They were all tall – enough to rival his height of 184 cm – and muscular, if the thickness of their necks was anything to go by.

Minhyuk swallowed thickly but stood his ground. The men stopped just behind Yoonhye, cracking their knuckles and loosening their shoulders, preparing for a fight. “Make sure not to hurt him too much, okay boys?” the men chuckled but nodded, beginning their predatory approach.

Minhyuk squared his jaw, quickly lifting the strap of his bag over his head and swung it full force at the man on the far right. The man blocked the blow with his arm, giving Minhyuk a death glare. The others hastened their own attacks. Minhyuk got one well-placed punch in on the second guy to the right before the man on the far left caught him in a full nelson.

He struggled with all of his might, but it was of little use. The second man on the left approached, intending to get his first hit in. With his long legs Minhyuk jumped up, using the man holding him for support, as he kicked the other in the chest. As the man stumbled back he cursed. The first punch landed in his gut, sending him doubling over. The man released him. He felt like vomiting but managed to keep the contents of his stomach where they were. The second punch was aimed at his cheek and sent him tumbling to the side, where he slipped on the ice and snow covered pavement, to land on his knees.

The man he kicked in the chest got his revenge by placing his own kick to Minhyuk’s lower abdomen. He slouched over, holding his middle with a pained moan. The man who was behind him pushed him with his foot. The teen flew forward, barely catching himself on one hand. One of them grabbed his collar and smashed his knuckles against Minhyuk’s jaw. Blood pooled in his mouth as his lip split. The youngest fell to the side.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter