Part Six

Louder Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Part Six The Exhibition.

Inguk

One Month to the Exhibition

“Cheoje1!” Inguk called to the petite woman as she made her way into the office. Yoonhye stopped and faced the tall man.

“Ah, Hyungbu, what is it?” she asked, her hand falling from the metal handle, ready to turn it and enter through the glass door.

“I just wanted to know how the preparations for the show are coming.”

“There are only a few more things I need to schedule. Ah, do you know what kind of music Rein-ssi likes, that would fit the theme? What was it, ‘a story’?” She flipped open a folder she had tucked under her arm and looked over the proposal. With a small nod she closed it, looking back to Inguk.

“Nothing too upbeat. Just something mellow that blends into the background while people talk and browse,” he stated. Yoonhye pursed her lips, her nose scrunched as she thought about his suggestions.

“I think it would be best if I talked about this with her. Can you give me her number?” Yoonhye requested.

The smile faltered from his lips as he answered, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.” He scratched the back of his neck nervously.

“Why?” Yoonhye asked, knitting her brows and frowning.

“She’s a really private person and she doesn’t do well around strangers,” Inguk explained.

“Is she some sort of recluse?”

“You could say that. She’s really a nice girl though,” his smile came back full blast. He reached into the inside pocket of his jacket and flipped through his phone. “This is her,” he held his phone up for Yoonhye to see.

 

Yoonhye’s eyes widened ever so slightly as she studied the picture.

“Pretty, isn’t she? I was surprised too,” Inguk stated as he gave her a cheesy grin before pocketing his phone again.

“Yeah… she looks nice,” the girl spoke, dazed before she composed herself and returned Inguk’s smile. “Her name is Rein? Is that her real name?”

“Rein’s just a pseudonym that she uses. Her real name is Aerin. I think she’s about the same age as you,” Inguk stated.

“Is that so? Well I hope you can convince her to come to the show. I would love to meet her,” Yoonhye said, brushing a strand of hair from her face as she adjusted the papers and folders in her grasp.

“I’ll do my best, don’t expect too much though,” Inguk chortled before looking down at his watch. “, I’m going to be late,” he cursed.

“Late for what?” Yoonhye raised an eyebrow at him and cocked her head.

“I have a date. My mom’s been setting up matseons2 for me to go on.”

“Haven’t you always rejected the proposals? Why accept now?” Yoonhye inquired. Inguk gave her an awkward grin.

“Well, since your sister, I haven’t wanted to… I don’t even want to now, but Aerin-ah convinced me to give dating a chance,” he answered. “I can’t be alone forever and it’s been four years, so I guess it’s time to move on.”

Yoonhye stood rigid, her lips pressed together and her face stony as he spoke. “Look Cheoje, I’m not going to forget about Yoora or anything. I will always love her. But, for my parents, I think I should give it a shot.” He placed a hand on the petite woman’s shoulder before continuing, “Anyway, I really have to go. I’m late enough as it is. I’ll talk to you later about the show.” With that he sprinted toward his car on the far side of the parking lot.

As he left, he didn’t catch the hardening of Yoonhye’s eyes or catch the glimmer there as she opened the folder with Rein’s proposal before snapping it shut. All he saw, as he pulled away from the gallery building, was Yoonhye dialing a number on her phone before she pressed the device to her ear and strode into the building with strong and urgent strides.

Aerin

Five Days to the Exhibition

I bit my lip nervously and rubbed my bare arms, which felt the chill in the air more than normal, as three pairs of scrutinizing eyes scanned my body. Haeyun and Kibum sat on Haeyun’s bed while Inguk sat in a chair.

After three weeks of persistent asking, I agreed to go to the show with Inguk. Even though I really didn’t want to, he practically got on his knees and begged. His grovelling made me more uncomfortable than the thought of going to an exhibit; though that was likely to change when I actually got there.

Of course, this being my first formal outing, ever, all three of them were making it a bigger deal than it actually was. Haeyun and Kibum went out earlier in the afternoon and borrowed five “party worthy” dresses from some of their partner boutiques. And the dress I was currently wearing was the last of them.

“This is the one,” Kibum stated as he stood, grabbing a black lace shrug from one of the bags the dresses came in. He helped me put it on, and though it covered more of my skin, I still felt very exposed. The ¾ sleeves were fine, but the keyhole in the back was the problem. “There, now it’s perfect. What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter