Part Five

Louder Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Part Five The Wound of Tragedy.

Aerin

Day after day, for two weeks, Inguk showed up at my studio door. Occasionally Haeyun or Kibum would be seated on the couch in the main room, sketching new designs and concepts for the next fashion season. They would chase him away, Haeyun a little nicer with his words than Kibum – who would tell Inguk he was being a stalker and that he was going to get a restraining order.

As the later part of the morning rolled around I felt tense. Inguk always showed up between nine and ten. However, when noon started creeping closer, I wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or disappointed when he didn't make his usual appearance.

So, he gave up.

The rest of the day I tried my best to focus on my work, but there was a nagging in the back of my mind – a nagging I couldn’t quite place. Was I disappointed that he gave up already? Maybe I was worried? I wasn’t sure. Whatever the reason, I spent most of the day staring blankly at the canvas before me.

Around ten I gave up on painting for the day and opted to curl up on in the armchair and read. It was pointless to go home, Kibum and Haeyun were out of town on a photo shoot so, I would be alone. I looked over to Bae in the corner, slumbering away on her plush pillow. As I studied her sleeping face, I recalled when Inguk had risked his life to save her from that fire. Sure the studio wasn’t on fire but, if the roof had collapsed, they both could have been trapped. I never did repay him for saving her, or for helping me find a new studio.

I shook the thoughts away. It didn’t matter. I wouldn’t be seeing him anymore anyway. I turned to my book and started reading, letting the world just melt away as I was into the world of ‘Beowulf’. I was barely starting the sixth page of the epic poem when a loud pounding came from the door. I nearly jumped out of my skin while my heart took a sudden leap into my throat. Bae sat up, also slightly startled as she stared in the direction of the ruckus.

“Aerin-ssi!” the curator’s familiar voice called. More pounding. I clutched the book to my chest, silently wishing for him to go away. “Hwang Aerin-ssi!” he called again. He sounded strange. Despite how earnest or irritated he should have sounded, it was almost lazy – almost like he was drunk. Loud banging accompanied his words and I covered my ears, pulling my knees to my chest as I prayed for him to leave. “Aish!” he cursed and a particularly loud thud hit the door, which I assumed was him kicking it in frustration.

All noises ceased. I gulped dryly. He left, right? He didn’t pass out drunk, did he? I slowly slid from the chair, drawing Bae’s attention. She stood, curious, and padded over to me. I lightly patted my chest, as if telling my heart to calm down. It was a fruitless effort, though, as it continued to pound against my ribs. Slowly I made my way to the door. My hands trembling nervously as I placed my fingers on the lock. I hoped he left to terrorize some other poor soul, but I knew the chances of that being the case were slim. I turned the lock and pushed the door open.

Slumped on the ground, his back to the wall, Inguk sat with his head hanging. His legs splayed out in front of him while his arms hung limply at his sides. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack as the beating in my chest increased. Oh god, he fell asleep! I quickly went over my options. Calling Haeyun to deal with this wouldn’t work, since he was at a resort in Jeju. Kibum was also a negative because he was with Haeyun. Maybe I could text Haeyun to have him call a cab? By the looks of Inguk I don’t think he would even be able to tell the driver his address. So I guess that was a no-go too. There really was only one option.

Hesitantly I reached out, my hands quivering. I touched his shoulder but there was no response. Bae, having followed me, slipped past my leg and stood between Inguk’s legs. Leaning forward, she his cheek, trying to wake him up. Aside from a small groan, there was no response. Biting my lip, I crouched down and placed my hand fully on his shoulder. I shook him so he would rouse. It was no use. Inguk was out cold. From the heavy stench of soju surrounding him, I surmised he had drank a lot before stumbling his way to my studio.

I snapped at Bae and gave a quick command for her to go to bed. After she trotted away I looked the man over, gauging how to get him inside. Lifting him would be impossible, since he was bulkier than me. I worried my lip, trailing my eyes down his arms to his wrists. I suppose dragging him in would be easier.

Slowly I reached down, grabbing his wrist. I stood, moving around him to take hold of his other wrist. I pulled him forward and turned him, backing into the apartment while dragging my load. I managed to get him past the entrance, with a labored huff, and took his shoes off before I resumed dragging him into the studio. I stopped at the plush rug to move the coffee table out of the way. Since I couldn’t lift him onto the couch or into a chair, the rug would at least be warmer than the hardwood floor. I moaned as I pulled him the last few feet, collapsing at his head when he was finally completely on the carpet.

I reached over, grabbing one of the pillows from the couch and placed it under his head. Standing on slightly shaky legs, I grabbed the throw blanket from the chair I previously occupied and covered his slumbering form. I briskly strode to the door and made sure to lock it again. Flopping down onto the couch, I laid on my back and stared at the ceiling while mentally praising myself for my hard work. I sighed heavily before turning my head toward Inguk.

He hadn’t given up after all. Just that thought made my chest flutter in a strange way. Not like excitement, but maybe gratitude. Turning on to my side, I studied Inguk’s sleeping face. What did he want from me really? It couldn’t be that he had to deal with me personally. None of the others cared whether it was me or my brother, as long as they got the paintings they paid for. There had to be another reason.

All of the possibilities that came to mind seemed impossible. He didn’t seem like he was interested in me romantically and it was unlikely that I looked like someone he knew. As my mind swam with the possibilities my eyes slowly started to flutter closed. Without realizing it, I fell into a peaceful sleep.

Rays of sunlight danced across my eyelids, waking me from a peaceful slumber. Long lashes fluttered against my cheeks as I opened my eyes to the world. The early morning sun filled the room with light, giving the room a soft gold and orange glow. I stared at the empty spot on the floor, for a moment wondering why the coffee table was moved. When realization struck me I bolted up, looking around for any signs of another presence. I was completely alone. I looked over to Bae’s bedding, she was also gone.

Panic stabbed my heart. I stood, snapping and patting my leg to draw her attention, silently praying that she was just hiding or snooping around somewhere. Absolutely nothing. I took a deep breath. Inguk-ssi was gone and so was Bae, which meant that she was probably with him. Unless he planned on kidnapping my dog and keeping her, they would be back. I patted my chest soothingly, walking over to the fridge and grabbing a bottle of water. I took a couple of big gulps and capped it when the front door opened.

With hurried steps I moved around one of the brick columns that shot from floor to ceiling. This particular column was at the end of a long length of counters, which blocked the rest of the studio off from the kitchen. At the door Inguk kneeled next to Bae unlatching her baby blue leash before placing it on top of the shoe cabinet, where I usually kept it. When he stood he picked up a bag as he shuffled out of his shoes. Bae trotted over to me and I leaned down to scratch her head, as if to say ‘good morning’.

“Oh, you’re awake. Sorry for disappearing with your dog, but when I was leaving to get breakfast she really seemed like she wanted to go on a walk. Isn’t that right Bae?” As if to agree, Bae gave a small bark. Bae didn’t usually bark, unless she wanted your attention or had something to 'say'. And, due to her size, she had a relatively small bark – sounding more like a puppy than a full grown dog. Inguk chuckled at her reaction while putting the bag on the counter.

I studied Inguk for a moment. Though the smile he usually had was in place, there was something off. His stance was a little more rigid than normal. I walked over to my phone, which was plugged into the wall to charge. I opened the text window and began typing a short message. I faced the curator. Swallowing, probably loudly, I placed my hand on his arm to draw his attention to me. I held up my phone so he could read the message.

Are you alright?

He furrowed his brows, obviously a little surprised by my concern. His obsidian eyes met mine, though mine weren’t nearly as close to pitch black as his. His plush lips turned up into a gentle smile as he handed my phone back to me. And he did something I didn’t expect.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter