Epilogue

Louder Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Epilogue Our Ending.

Aerin

Six Years Later

“Aerin-ah, we’re back!” an all too familiar voice called. With a smile I leaned over the counter and waved at Inguk as he helped two little figures take their shoes off.

“Where’s everyone else?” I asked.

“Minhyuk and Jae-yah are getting the groceries,” he said as he pulled back the Velcro strap of one little pink and white shoe. The little girl silently pulled her foot free while holding hands with the little boy at her side. When both were free of their footwear they strode over to the little corner of the studio set aside specifically for them; complete with toys, books, little chairs and a table.

“Is Wooram with Minhyuk-ah?” I questioned, which Inguk nodded in response to. With a light sigh, I went back to the task at hand – finishing dinner. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Inguk lean against the counter, watching me. I sent a glance his way. “What is it oppa?”

“Nothing really. You’re almost finished with the new paintings right?”

“Mmm,” I confirmed, stirring the vegetables in the pan.

“How many are left?” he asked, crossing his arms.

“Two,” I replied, turning the heat down and reaching behind the elder for a bottle of sauce. I drizzled the seasoning over the contents of the pan and, as I finished, the front door opened. There was a slight commotion with the rustling of plastic bags and hushed tones. A few moments later Jaehwa came around the corner with a heavy sigh, putting four bags on the counter before turning to Inguk with a glare.

“Thanks for abandoning us you jerk,” she growled. He gave her a bashful smile and rushed past her as Minhyuk came into view, holding a toddler’s hand while carrying three grocery bags in the other.

“Wooram-ah, come to uncle,” Inguk cooed. As he walked by he scooped the little boy into his arms and made his way over to the other two children. A smile forced its way onto my lips as I rolled my eyes at his antics. Jaehwa growled before practically tearing one of the bags open and throwing the contents onto the counter.

“Appa, look at my drawing,” a small voice spoke up as the little girl strode into the kitchen. Minhyuk smiled down at her and picked her up under her arms before setting her on the counter. She held up the picture for him to see, smiling proudly.

“You drew this?” He asked in, what could only be described as, babytalk. His tone was gentle and slightly childish as he spoke, the same sort of tone many people used when they talked to small children. She nodded and Minhyuk gave her an exaggerated “Wah!” as he took the picture from her grasp and studied it. Jaehwa, her anger melting away at the interaction between father and daughter, moved over to the child and swept her up into her arms.

“Our Ahreumie is so talented. She’s going to be an artist, just like her mom, isn’t she?” Jaehwa gushed. Ahreum giggled as she nodded. The elder woman pecked the little girl on her chubby cheek and her hair before setting her on the ground. Minhyuk handed Ahreum the picture and shooed her out of the kitchen before she got hurt.

After the groceries were put away, and the food finished, we sat down for dinner. It was a struggle getting the two boys to sit and eat without throwing vegetables at each other.

“Yah, Seo Yoobin, sit down and eat your carrots,” Inguk scolded, causing the elder of the young boys to hang his head and pout. Minhyuk sat next to Ahreum and her soft locks as she chewed on the last piece of carrot that was left on her plate.

After dinner was finished the little ones played in their pint-sized nook while the adults sat at the table to talk. Jaehwa strode out of the kitchen with three bottles of soju in one hand and four shot glasses in the other. She plopped down and quickly filled the glasses to the brim before passing one to each of us.

“Rough week?” I asked. Jaehwa just groaned while shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

“Don’t even get me started,” she stated, downing her shot. Minhyuk and Inguk both downed their own shots and looked at me when I didn’t even touch mine.

“Aren’t you going to drink?” Minhyuk asked.

“Someone should stay sober or else the kids will have free reign of my studio,” I said with a small laugh.

“Very true. Remember last time? She had to completely redo three paintings because Inguk-ssi fell asleep while babysitting,” Jaehwa stated before pointedly looking at said man.

“It wasn’t my fault! You were the one who kept me up all night because you were late with two of your commissions. I was the one who had to go drinking with the clients to apologize,” Inguk defended, pointing an accusing finger at Jaehwa. She scoffed, snatching up the shot I rejected and downed it herself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter