Part Eight

Louder Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Part Eight Muted.

Aerin

“What’s going on?” Minhyuk asked, his gaze tearing from mine to stare at Yoonhye. She crossed her arms over her chest.

“This is Aerin’s exhibit, I’m surprised you couldn’t tell from the paintings,” the petite woman stated as she stared at the tall man. “She still has the same style from when we were in school,” she commented as she looked to the nearest painting, situated just behind the refreshment table. The picture was of a girl in a blue sundress, staring longingly at a couple as they walked away from her. Minhyuk’s jaw clenched as he tried his best not to glare at Yoonhye.

“Cheoje, who is this?” Inguk asked, turning to the taller.

“Ah, hyungbu, this is Kang Minhyuk,” Yoonhye introduced as she wrapped her arms around one of Minhyuk’s. “He was my boyfriend in high school. He’s a music producer so I asked him to lend us one of his artists for the event,” she explained. Minhyuk stood awkwardly at her side, his gaze averting to Inguk who stepped forward to shake his hand.

My gaze never left him, though, as he bowed his head slightly and respectfully took Inguk’s hand. When his dark eyes met mine again my heart stopped beating for what seemed like an eternity.

2007

I shushed the little bundle in my arms as he scrunched his face, doing his best to fight the urge to fall asleep. With the infant wrapped in white and blue blankets, I opened to door to see who just arrived. The cold winter air nipped at my cheeks and I instinctively pulled the covers over the newborn. Minhyuk and I stared at each other for a few moments, though his eyes trailed down to the baby in my arms.

A wide grin spread across his lips. “Chagiya, why didn’t you tell me we were expecting a baby?”

My face probably turned close to ten shades of red. Just the implication that we… I bit my lip and shook my head as I pulled the tiny body closer to me. My heart fluttered erratically in my chest, like a hummingbird was flying around inside of me.

Minhyuk stepped in, pushing the door closed as I took a step back. He slid his shoes off and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, leading me into the living room. He stared down at the baby as we sat on the couch.

“So, who is this?” he asked, reaching out to a marshmallowy cheek.

“This is my nephew, Jaein,” I replied, rocking him gently.

“Since when do you have a nephew?” Minhyuk asked.

“Since a week ago I guess. He was born on the thirteenth from what his mother said,” I forced myself to keep my gaze on Jaein, hoping that if I didn’t look at my boyfriend my heart would calm down. Minhyuk pressed himself to my side and placed his chin on my shoulder, effectively squashing any chances of my heart slowing to a healthy pace. I could feel his warm breath ghosting over my cheek as his hand slid around my waist. I took in a sharp breath and my back went rigid.

“So what’s the story?” he asked, obviously ignoring my surprised reaction to his touch – probably because he was used to my nervous behavior.

“W-well his mother came late last night. S-she claimed that Jaein was Injoong oppa’s son. I guess she was oppa’s assistant during the spring. A-anyway, she said she didn’t want to be a mother and so was leaving Jaein with oppa. She left soon after that,” I said, briefly giving him the story as I shifted away and turned to face himhim. “D-do you want to hold him?” I offered, the flurry in my ribcage calming ever so faintly.

Minhyuk sat up straight and nodded holding his arms out for me to give my nephew to him. Gently I handed Jaein over to my boyfriend, an action that roused Jaein slightly. He scrunched his face and whimpered, but Minhyuk made quick work of calming the baby by rocking him and softly cooing at him. Within seconds the infant was fast asleep.

I stared at him, surprised. Minhyuk looked up at me with a confident smirk. “Babies love me,” were his assured words as he turned his attention back to the package in his arms. As I watched him, there was a strange tightening in my chest accompanied by happiness. I tried to discern what that slightly painful emotion was, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I wasn’t hurt or jealous, it was something else.

After my parents came home from the DNA test lab, results in hand that identified Jaein really was my nephew, Minhyuk and I put the baby to bed. We stood over Jaein as he slept, Minhyuk's strong arms wrapping around my waist. I stiffened at the touch. When Minhyuk started swaying back and forth, resting his cheek on the side of my head, I slowly relaxed. Silence, comfortable and calming, fell over us as we watched my nephew sleep. His tiny body was splayed out on my mother’s floral printed comforter.

Minhyuk sighed, pulling me close. “Rin-ah…” he breathed my name in a hushed voice. I hummed, letting him know that I heard him. “I think I love you,” he confessed in a whispered voice. What possessed him to say that in this particular moment would always be a mystery to me. But the tightening in my heart, the same feeling from earlier, told me something. I probably loved him too.

I bit my lip, my face flushing. He turned me so I faced him. With tentative fingers he pushed my ebony locks over my shoulder. His palm was like fire against my skin – not a biting flame, but a comforting heat. He placed his hand on my neck, his thumb my jaw, while his other cupped my cheek to tilt my head up. Minhyuk slowly leaned down, covering my lips with his in a gentle kiss.

My eyes fluttered closed of their own accord as I stood on the balls of my feet to press our lips more firmly together. I placed my hands on his waist, my fingers curling around the cotton of his navy cardigan. Long fingers tangled in my mass of black waves, his lips parting slightly to capture my bottom lip.

“Ahem…” a throat clearing startled us and we jumped apart. I covered my mouth embarrassed while Minhyuk coughed and shoved his hands in his pockets, biting back a smile. “Sorry to interrupt the love fest, but I thought I should cut in before my parents are forced to welcome a new grandchild into the family,” Haeyun said with a small smirk. My face felt like it was about to explode from embarrassment. “Anyway, my mom wanted to know if you were staying for dinner,” my twin stated with his gaze focused on the tall young man a few feet away from me.

“I'm not. Aerin-ah and I were going to go on a date today,” Minhyuk answered, reaching out and grabbing my hand. “We should probably go before we miss the movie.”

As we passed, Haeyun gave him a suspicious look but didn’t say anything as Minhyuk and I quickly prepared to leave. I pulled my snow boots on and Minhyuk tightly wrapped my scarf around my neck before deeming that I was bundled enough to face the bitter cold outside. We bid farewell to my parents and brothers as we left.

Standing on the crowded bus, we each held onto a handle to keep our balance while our opposing hand was clasped with the other's. We shared a look, no words were needed, one that caused us both to smile from ear to ear and laugh softly.

That was my last moment of happiness with Kang Minhyuk. My first boyfriend and my first love.

2008

“M-Minhyuk-ah, what happened to your face?” I gasped, my brows furrowed with concern as I looked at my boyfriend’s face. His lip was slit while the rest of his face was bruised and littered with gashes. His lips thinned and his eyes hardened as he walked briskly past me.

It was two weeks ago that Minhyuk confessed that he was in love with me, well thought he was. After our date that day, my grandparents from Daegu came to visit and stayed with us for a week so I wasn't able to see him during their stay. Shortly after they left my family and I took a train to Gwangju to visit my father’s parents. Injoong, alone, stayed behind to take care of the new addition to our family. We arrived home just last night, before the first day back to school.

I reached out to grab his arm, but he brushed me off and continued walking. “M-Minhyuk-ah, w-what happened?” I stammered, practically jogging to keep up with his long strides. He ignored me, walking over to his shoe locker and placing his indoor shoes on the floor while he shuffled out of his out-door shoes.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he bit out, shoving his shoes into the locker and storming away. I swallowed thickly, my throat tight and the back of my eyes burning. My  chest tightened painfully as I watched his retreating back.

I hurriedly put my indoor shoes on and followed. When I entered the classroom Yoonhye was sitting on his desk, talking to him. Minhyuk was lounging in his seat, like he often did. As I entered Yoonhye glanced in my direction, her eyes instantly narrowed into slits as she glared at me. I stopped in my tracks, the beating muscle in my chest making a swan-dive into my stomach. I gnawed on my lip, cautiously moving closer to the pair.

“M-Minhyuk-ah…” I called to him when I was nearly a foot away. Yoonhye slid from her seat, causing me to take three steps back in surprise.

“Why don’t you leave Minhyuk alone? He’s already had enough of you,” Yoonhye spat out, crossing her arms over her chest.

I swallowed,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter