Part One

Louder Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Part One The Artist & The Curator.

Aerin

“Noona, are you done with those commissions? The curator’s supposed to be here tomorrow to pick them up,” my twin brother, Haeyun, questioned. He stopped next to my easel, dressed in a pair of pastel pink skinny jeans and a neat white button down. His chocolate locks were tied back into a short ponytail at the back of his head and a pair of thick framed glasses hung low on his nose as he stared at me.

Haeyun, for lack of a better word, was beautiful in every aspect. He had a small, feminine face and body. His personality was bright and outgoing. His clothes were always the latest fashion and he looked good in pretty much everything. Maybe it’s because he’s my brother, which is why I find him so flawless, but I’m pretty sure anyone acquainted with him would agree with me. The only flaw he really had was, well, that he was vain.

They’re by the door. I said, pointing to a row of canvases leaning against the wall; which were only inches away from the door Haeyun entered through. He glided over to the paintings, quickly looking through them to make sure they were all there.

“What about the commissions for Joori-ssi?” he asked, turning to look at me.

 This is the last one. I pointed at the work I had been doing before he interrupted me. The others are drying. I motioned to the row of three canvases and easels at the back wall.

“Aigoo, my sister is such a hard worker,” Haeyun cooed as he patted my head and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. I smiled stiffly, my lips really just flattening into a thin line as I looked down.

“Yun-ah, we’re going to miss the plane, hurry your up,” the familiar gruff speech of my best friend came from the doorway. Haeyun and I looked over to Kibum, standing at the door with his arms crossed. Clad in white skinny jeans, a black graphic t-shirt and a hot pink jacket to finish off his ensemble. He pushed his black sunglasses up the bridge of his nose and tapped his pink sneakers impatiently.

 I stood, wiping my hands off on my painting smock before I pulled the pop buttons open and set it on the stool I previously sat upon. I followed Haeyun and Kibum to the door.

“Don’t forget to box up the paintings. Tomorrow you only need to get the payment and give the paintings to the new curator. If there are any problems just call me and I’ll talk to him, okay?” Haeyun’s hands were resting on my shoulders. I nodded.

I know what to do, don’t worry. Have a safe trip. Haeyun sighed, but pulled me into a hug. Kibum gave me a tight hug as well before they left through the heavy steel door.

I turned, stretching as I faced the tranquil emptiness of my studio. The rustic warehouse feel was calming as I let out a relaxed sigh. I walked over to the couch, unceremoniously flopping down, and curled up under the warm afternoon rays. The light that persevered through the dust and dirt that clung to either side of the Plexiglas windows was like a gentle and comforting hug as it kissed my skin. With a content hum, I fell into a light slumber.

I don’t know how long I was asleep, but the sliding of the door woke me. There was the sound of steady padding, clicking of nails on the wooden floor and the excited pitter patter of little feet running in my direction. I sat up and caught my nephew just as he took a flying leap at me. He squealed with glee as I set him in my lap, looking down into the deep brown of his eyes, I reached a hand out and patted Bae on the head.

Bae, my four year old Shiba Inu, turned her head to my palm. I ran my fingers through her mass of white fur before scratching behind her pointy little ears. Jaein, the little rascal, a transformer toy in my face.

“Umma, look what appa got me!” he said with the cheesiest smile on his face. I smiled at him, sliding my fingers through his silky hair.

Awesome toy. I’m so jealous.

“Jaein-ah, she’s ‘gomo’ not ‘umma’,” Injoong, my eldest brother, scolded as he sauntered over to the plush armchair not far away and sagged down into the cushions with a loud groan.

Jaein wrapped his arms around my neck and glared at his father, “Umma!” he stated firmly. Injoong shook his head, not even bothering to argue.

It’s okay oppa. He’ll grow out of calling me umma when he’s older.

With long digits, the eldest passed them through his hair and rolled his eyes. I patted Jaein’s hair, smoothing it down around his face as he played with his new action figure. Bae curled up at my feet, her eyes fluttering shut as she settled down for a nap.

What did you do today? I asked, looking over to Injoong.

“Played at the park. Bae-yah and Jaein-ah ran all over the place. It was so tiring,” he complained. I bit back a smile, imagining my brother running around as he chased after his rambunctious son and my dog.

Well I’m sure Jaein

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter