Prologue:

Time Machine

The clock struck one and I heard the kid’s running into my classroom, their backpacks flung over their shoulders and smiles plastered on their young faces. I remembered when I was their age and everything was great until everyone moved to different provinces and even countries just to go to college. Many of these kids had no clue what was going to happen in the years to come—they were too caught up in the present of recent gossip and new boyfriends or girlfriends. 


    I thought of the boy I used to date and how we had fallen apart. I didn’t know where he was now and how he was doing, but I wished him the best. I turned my attention from old memories and to my class which had lined up in their positions, ready for my teachings. I worked as a dance teacher at a school called “Seoul Academy of Arts” which I used to go to when it was just a regular high school. Two years after I graduated, it changed its name and became what it is now.


    “Okay, kids.” I started, giving off a wide smile. It was the second quarter of the school year and everyone, by now, was used to each other. I had some trouble remembering a few of the kids, but I could name more than half off the top of my head. “Remember what we did yesterday?” I asked and a chorus of “yes” answered me. “Well, just practice that with your partner. I’ll be doing some work.” I instructed and went back to the desk I had in the corner. 
    “Um, Mr. Cha?” a student who had followed me to my desk spoke quietly. I looked up and saw the sophomore whose name was Minji. She had short black hair which only reached her shoulders.


    “What’s up?” I turned my chair around to face her.


    “Well, my partner’s not here today, what do I do?” she looked nervous. I scanned the room to see if there were any other single students but everyone seemed to have found their own partner. I was about to suggest she work by herself when the boy she was partnered up with came running through the door of the studio-classroom. He was a junior named Gikwang and he was quite popular among the girls in the school. He was also one of my best students and he always came to me after school to work on his dancing. He once even told me that dancing, to him, was more important than school grades. 


    “Ah, here he is.” I pointed him out for Minji as he began setting down his backpack. She nodded to me in thanks then ran over to him. I turned my attention back to the computer screen and pulled up my email, wondering if any of the other teachers sent me a message. There were two: one from a fellow co-worker and one from an old friend of mine. I opened the second one first, quite curious as to what it could be. The message, which was quite long, read:

 

Hello, Hakyeon-hyung. You’ve been well, I hope? I wanted to send you a message because yesterday, I encountered an old friend of ours, Han Sanghyuk. Do you remember him? You know, the boy I fell head over heels in love with? Anyway, our chance meeting made me think about how our old group of friends kind of drifted apart. I wanted to get the gang back together now that Hyuk is home in Korea. Seven years is a pretty long time and although we’ve stayed close, everyone else has been out of our lives for the most part. I heard that Ravi is a song writer in an entertainment company by now. Isn’t that what he always wanted to do? I see Ken every once in a while since he still lives in the same apartment building as me, so we exchange greetings. Did you know he now works as a CEO? Apparently, he’s made a lot of money and is thinking of moving to America for a year or two.
Either way, I think it would be a good idea for all six of us to catch up a bit. I’ll have to admit, I really do miss hanging out with the gang and I hope everyone agrees to this little meet up. Just return my email with anytime you are available, so we can set something up. I already emailed Ravi and got a hold of him. He said he’s free most weekends and I hope you are as well. Do you also know Hyuk’s email? I somehow can’t find it on my computer and my texts won’t go through to him. Aigoo, it’s difficult. Please respond.
From, Hongbin.

 

    I smiled at the email. Hongbin and I had grown much closer after Hyuk had left for Japan and Leo and I broke up. We became each other’s support and were there for each other no matter what. I remember when Leo first turned me down how Hongbin had helped me feel better and I tried my best to return the favor after Hyuk left.


    Ravi also lost most contact with us. Apparently he was upset about something and was only focused on his work, which seemed to have gotten him places. Many people knew of him throughout Korea and although I was glad he was able to get where he wanted to go, I was kind of upset he left from our lives. I quickly shot back an email to Hongbin with Hyuk’s own and telling him the days I was available. 


    Right after I was done, the bell rang telling the children and me school was out. I waved goodbye to them all and packed up my things to head home. It had gotten dark out and I was pretty sure it was going to rain. Some of my kids passed me and said hi, but moved too fast to stop for a conversation. I crossed the street to the bus stop and waited in the little cover. I didn’t notice the person who had joined me until he cleared his throat. I looked up and my mouth dropped open a bit. It was Leo.


    “L-Leo, what are you doing here?” I asked, surprised. I hadn’t seen him in years and now he had suddenly come out of nowhere. He took a little while to respond, but I was so used to it, it wasn’t at all an insult.


    “I live here.” he said in his small voice I had grown to miss so much. I looked at his face. His age, although only 25, seemed to have gotten to him. He looked tired and his usually emotionless face hid even more of his thoughts. I wondered what made him look this way and if he was okay. I couldn’t bring myself to laugh at his solemn joke and so I just continued talking, curious if he would still want to talk to me.


    “Did you get a message from Hongbin?” I asked, unsure if it was the right thing to do. He looked at his feet and then back up at the building across the street.


    “Yes.” he didn’t go into anything. I stood there silently, my usually happy mood seeming to disappear now that Leo was here. Back when we were together, it was quite the opposite, but now it hurt to be in his presence. 


    “Are you going to join us? I know Ravi--” he cut me off.


    “Yes, I’ll come.” He nodded his head, his black hair giving off a small bounce. Suddenly, the bus pulled up in front of us. I let Leo get on first and then I got on after him. He turned to me before he sat down. “Sit with me,” he told and sat at one of the seats in the very back. I walked behind him and slid into the empty seat next to him. He stared out the window and I checked the time on my wrist watch. The bus started to move again and we both sat in silence for a few minutes before he looked me in the eyes and spoke softly.


    “I missed you.” he said and I couldn’t help but smile. 


    “I missed you as well.”