Family Man

Topp Dogg x EXO

    The man who had become my husband just yesterday looked me in the eyes and questioned me. "Park Sehyuk used to work for your family? THAT man?"
    My eyes focused on Jun Myeon. "What's wrong?" It sounded like working under my family was an abnormal thing.
    "Nothing. It's just..." He paused to scrunch his eyebrows. "Park Sehyuk seems like the kind of man that would never be a servant. His attitude won't allow others to boss him around."
    "What do you mean?"
    Jun Myeon lifted his chin and rubbed it roughly as if it were hard to explain. "What I mean is that; Park Sehyuk won't let anyone tell him what to do. I remember one time when our companies collided in an advertisement meeting and his fellow employees tried to advise him against raising problems, but he disregarded their opinions and did what he wanted. If I were him, I would have wisely gone with his employee's advisory."
    "That sounds unlike him..." I looked down at my shuffling feet and remembered back when he used to be a good boy. He always followed orders and did whatever was needed to be done around the house. What happened to him?
    My heart suddenly felt heavier, as if it were being tied down by an anchor. Jun Myeon pulled me to face him. "Why does it matter what he used to be like? What really matters right now is the way things are now - in the present." He tried to reassure me with a smile.
    I sighed heavily. It was hard to tell him that Sehyuk was my first love. But Jun Myeon was right: what mattered was the present. Everything happening now in my life shouldn't be brought down by the things of the past.
    If I wanted to grow into a beautiful woman like my mother, I needed to let it go.
    "Yes, you're right." My lips curved into (somewhat of) a smile to hide the heaviness of my heart. "Only the present remains."
    "That's a good girl." Jun Myeon softly embraced me. "Let's get you home now. I think you need some rest."

    After meeting with Sehyuk at the parking ramp, Jun Myeon and I had gone home. Sadly, I had hardly even gotten to see the sights of the city.
    Jun Myeon promised to go another day but I was sure that he hadn't meant it. If going into the city meant seeing Sehyuk, then he would surely avoid bringing me to town.
    Sitting in the room bored me to a near death, so I decided to take a walk around the house of Kim Jun Myeon. Maybe I could find something to do around here.
    And if I was correct, I would be able to meet some of Jun Myeon's business partners. Ever since I became the lady of the household, I felt like I had hardly seen any of them around. Here and there, a few would appear in front of me - but they disappeared like ghosts the second I entered a room. This time, I would make sure they don't run on me.
    I excitedly hopped out of bed and ran down to the first floor of the house. Sitting on the floor tending to a small cactus, someone dressed in an ash grey long-sleeve and navy blue jeans.
    "Hello!" I called out to the young man.
    The sudden shout only scared him. He turned his body to face me and then got up from his seated position to bow his head to me. Not a single word came from his mouth.
    "I didn't mean to scare you," My feet carried me closer to him. I bent lower to look at his face. "But what is your name...?"
    He stuttered his name nervously. "K-K-Kim M-Minseok, miss."
    "Kim Minseok-sshi..." His name was youthful, just as his face was. "Nice to meet you!" I stood straight and put out one hand for a shake.
    Puzzled, Minseok lifted his head to look at me. "Miss, what are you doing?" Unreasonably flustered, he backed away. "Such a manner isn't allowed."
    "What manner? I'm just trying to make some friends here." I groaned. If I wasn't allowed to socialize with anyone, I might as well just go back to living my old life. Rather than sitting around with a frown on my face, I stuck out my hand again. "If I'm going to live here as the woman of the household, I will have my way. If my husband sees to it as unfit for me, then I will speak to him myself!"
    Minseok eyed me with surprise on his face.
    "What's going on here?" Another man's voice popped out from the corner of the hall. It was nasally and loud, like a fly.
    I turned around to see a young man with wavy, ash-gold staring me down. His 
    "Who are you?" He suspiciously asked.
    My lips curved into an angry pout. "My name is Lee Jieun and I am the lady of the household." I stuck my hand out to him instead.
    The ash-gold hair man stared down at me with an estranged look. "Ah, so you're the lady of the household?" A somehow sarcastic-looking smile stretched across his face. "The lady shouldn't be walking around the household filled with men like us."
    "What's that supposed to mean?" My eyebrows stretched upward. "Men like you?"
    Teasingly, he bit the air in front of my face. "Yes, you see - we are wolves."
    "Stop it," Minseok spoke up from the side. "She may do as she pleases." With a smile, Minseok placed his hand in mine and shook it firmly. "I am pleased to meet the lady."
    Seeming bored, the other young man lifted his hands behind his head and rolled his eyes. "I was just trying to have some fun, hyung."
    "Save that for another woman." Minseok released my hand from his hold. "Besides, she seems to be a very sincere girl. I feel that if you talk to her like that, she'll only learn to dislike you for your personality."
    The young man looked at his hyung with a straight face. Suddenly feeling bored, he yawned and walked past the two of us. "She wasn't interesting anyways."
    "What's all the commotion?" Jun Myeon asked as he entered the room. "I thought I heard Baekhyun talking?" He looked around for the boy that was here just seconds ago.
    "You just missed him," Minseok answered.
    I looked to Jun Myeon, feeling uneasy about his thoughts of yesterday. He didn't show it on his face, but it was obvious that he didn't want to talk about Sehyuk.
    Park Sehyuk, my first love.
    Reminiscing back - Sehyuk and I were close enough to being a couple. We did everything together. We studied together, did chores together, and even ate together. Constantly being around each other, I began to see him as more than just my family servant. Flowers bloomed every time he looked at me with his heart-warming smile.
    But all of those flowers burned to dust on the night my parents decided on my marriage plan.
    Sehyuk became heart-broken, depressed almost, and left me behind for (what he believed would be) a better life. A life where there would be no arranged marriages due to greed. A life where everything went his way. A life without me.
    Snapping back into the present reality, I realized that Jun Myeon was talking.
    "Are you okay, Miss?" His hands pressed down on my shoulders as he looked me in the eyes. "Are you sick? Is there something wrong?"
    "Ah," I shook off the foolish feelings in my mind. "I'm fine. Nothing is wrong. I'm just a little tired..."
    Jun Myeon became worried for my health, so he escorted me carefully back to our room. It seemed that he wouldn't even leave me alone for a second to think about our collide with Sehyuk yesterday.
    As he placed me on the bed, he sat himself beside me. Slowly, he ran a hand from the top of my head, down to the nape of my neck. "Tell me what's wrong?" He asked with a concerned tone.
    My eyes caught on to his and I quickly looked away, feeling awkward. "It's nothing. Just feeling tired from doing a lot today." I tried to reassure with a smile.
    "I see then," He seemed unsatisfied with my lie. "I'll let you sleep now. If you need anything, just let me or someone know."
    Jun Myeon craned his neck and softly kissed my forehead. "Sleep well tonight, my beautiful wife. Dream of flying back to heaven, okay?" He joked.
    The anchor on my heart began to feel lighter with simple laughter. "Thank you."
    Quietly, he got up from the bedside and walked to the closet to change into some sleeping clothes. After seeing that he disappeared, I flopped to my side. All I could do was think about Sehyuk now.
    Ever since we had accidentally bumped into each other, every thought of mine became focused on him. I wanted to ask him hundreds of questions about how he was, where he was living, if he worked somewhere good, why he left, and so much more - but I couldn't.
    Somehow, I needed a chance to contact him.
    Before I knew it, my lips had shaped into a pout. I pulled them back to normal and closed my eyes. Maybe sleeping would help to push it away.
    As I fell into the dream world, I could feel Jun Myeon making his way into the bed. Crawling into the blanket beside me, he tucked me in and kissed my head before he went to sleep.
    He was so good to me.