In the Dark

My Angel

Taemin ~

Red. All Taemin could see was pure red in his vision as he dragged Naeun to the meeting area at the edge of the woods.

“Taemin, slow down,” Naeun ordered, but her voice was weak and shaky. He hated that Kai’s confession had affected her so much. He hated that Kai had even confessed. Of course, Taemin had wanted Kai to be truthful about what he felt, but he had meant for Kai to tell Taemin his feelings, not Naeun. (A/N: If you know what I mean . . . hehehee . . . anyone for TaeKai/Kaimin? No? Okay . . .) He slowed when he saw people in front of him, but he still bumped into a few of the students.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, loosening his grip on Naeun’s hand slightly.

“Oh? Taemin oppa!”

Taemin looked up. Oh. It was Goo Hara. Taemin gave her a half-hearted smile.

“Are you okay, oppa? You look pale!” Hara put her hand on his forehead and leaned in so that she was pouting close to his face. Taemin was too exhausted to care, but he felt Naeun squeeze his hand. He turned slightly, confused, and he yelped when she pulled him back forcefully.

“He’s fine,” Naeun assured Hara through gritted teeth. Taemin couldn’t see her face since she had tilted her head so that he'd only see the top it, but he could sense the intimidation radiating from her back already. Hara’s pout became more of a scowl as she eyed their intertwined fingers, but she whirled and began to talk merrily to other guys. Naeun cleared awkwardly and slowly turned to look back at Taemin. He gave her a smile in return. He could feel that it wasn't as bright as his other smiles, but it was genuine now. Naeun’s timid expression became concerned.

“What?” Taemin inquired.

“Nothing, but . . . are you really okay?” Naeun coughed. Taemin cocked his head to the side and pretended to ponder on that.

“Nope.” Naeun raised her eyebrows at his blunt answer. “But that’s okay. We’re going to be partners, right?”

“Huh?”

Taemin stepped forward and picked up a paper from the table set out by the edge of the woods. “This is a partner thing. Key was telling me about it in our cabin, since he was nagging me about not listening. I didn’t really listen anyway because I wanted to pick you up quickly . . .” His expression darkened, and Naeun squeezed his hand again. He was a little surprised at her sudden change of personality; she was being more . . . comfortable. Taemin cleared his throat nervously and checked the paper. “Well, Partner A goes through one path, and Partner B goes to the other. There’s a bunch. We got assigned to number 5 and 6. We’re supposed to follow the arrows corresponding with the numbers and communicate through walkie-talkies.”

Taemin walked forward and scooped up two handheld transceivers coolly, tossing one to Naeun. She caught it awkwardly and pressed a button.

“T-Testing, one, two, three . . .,” she mumbled, her voice repeating through Taemin’s device. He grinned at her adorableness, but his smile was quickly wiped away when he saw Kai walking up to them. Naeun followed Taemin’s gaze and stepped back immediately.

“I’m sorry for the sudden . . . confession,” Kai said dully to Naeun, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Chanyeol, who was apparently his partner, stared at Kai incredulously. He must’ve not known about Kai liking Naeun. The angels would have a meeting later . . .

“Then . . . that bruise . . .,” Chanyeol blurted, pointing at Kai’s left cheek. A nice, blackish-blue color was spreading over his smooth cheekbone. Chanyeol looked at Taemin, who smirked back. He wordlessly tightened his grip on Naeun’s hand again and half dragged her again to their two lines. He looked to his left and tried not to roll his eyes. Kai and Chanyeol were right next to them. Kai was looking straight ahead, opening and closing his mouth to test the pain of the bruise Taemin had given him. He winced when he flexed it too much.

Good, Taemin thought. He turned to the right. Past Naeun, Jonghyun was paired up with Se Kyung. He had a piece of jerky sticking out of his mouth, his hands in his pockets. His eyes moved over from Naeun to Taemin, and he wiggled his eyebrows knowingly. Taemin rolled his eyes and directed his gaze to Naeun.

“Ready?” he asked, smiling. He felt a bit calmer now, seeing Kai and his black cheek. His smile fell when he noticed Naeun looking around nervously. “Naeun?”

“Umm . . . this is embarrassing, but I have slight nyctophobia,” she stammered.

“What-a-what-ia?” Taemin asked.

“Fear of the dark.” Naeun gulped as she looked through the trees. “The sun’s going down . . .” Taemin stared at her worriedly. She noticed and flushed red, looking down.

“It’s okay. We’ll find each other as soon as possible. Just keep talking to me through the walkie-talkies and stay strong, okay? Do you want to forfeit?” he offered. He finally understood why she wasted a lot of money on that bright flashlight, but it wasn't on her on the moment. Naeun saw him looking for the large flashlight in her hand, but she raised the other small one she was holding.

“No. I got the flashlight they gave out before. Besides. Winner gets beef and chicken.” Naeun feigned a smile and made two fist pumps. “I’ll win it for Onew!” Taemin stuck out his bottom lip and frowned. “What . . . are you jealous?” Taemin shrugged and played with the walkie-talkie. He was. Just a bit.

“Get ready . . .!” their fourth period teacher called through the megaphone.

“I’m jealous,” Taemin finally said. Naeun glanced at him in surprise. “But I know you wouldn’t betray me. Not even for Kai . . . right?”

“Go!!!”

Taemin and Naeun held each other’s gazes for one second before Taemin turned away and quickly began to jog down his path, reading the directions on his paper. He was looking at the paper, but he wasn't actually seeing it though.

Maybe he shouldn't have asked.

Why had he said that?

Naeun ~

Why had he said that?

“Crazy bastard . . .,” Naeun muttered, looking at her instructions. Of course she wouldn’t go for Kai. But would she go for Taemin? That was the real question she was asking herself. Why should she go for a clear rejection? Well, he wouldn’t reject her, but he would leave her for his immortal eternity to avoid his possible damnation. Right?

Naeun shook her head and tried to concentrate. Her walkie-talkie made a loud noise, and she jumped.

“Naeun? Naeun-ah~” Damn Taemin. He was back to his normal self, as if he hadn’t done anything wrong. And after a moment's thought, Naeun realized he hadn't. Maybe she was just overreacting. Naeun cleared and took out the walkie-talkie.

“What.” It wasn’t really a question, since her tone was so flat.

“Which way are you turning now?” he quipped, his voice static through the receiver. She was suddenly self-conscious about how she would sound on his side.

“Um . . . left,” she murmured.

“Wha? Left? Speak louder, Naeun-ah! I’m going left, too. I guess there will be a turn or loop later, huh?” Taemin stopped talking suddenly. “Naeun, are you okay? The sun . . .” Naeun swallowed. She’d noticed, too, but she didn’t want to say anything. The sun was going down, it was getting darker, and she was walking deeper into the woods . . .

“I-I’m okay, oppa,” she said, stumbling over her words. She cursed and gripped the walkie-talkie and paper in her hands tighter. She was beginning to hyperventilate. Couldn’t they have done this in the morning?

“Naeun-ah?! I’m cutting the paths! I’ll get you!” Taemin said, his voice panicky.

“NO! That’s cheating!” She stopped at a sign and directed her flashlight to it. Don’t turn around. There’s nothing in the dark, she told herself. “Um, the sign shows that if I take the path on the left I’ll meet up with you soon, right?”

“Hey, I hit a sign, too!” Taemin said, sounding relieved. “Don’t worry, we’ll find each other soon.” Suddenly, the flashlight flickered, and Naeun gasped, gripping her walkie-talkie. She pressed the button without realizing and screamed as the flashlight completely shut down. “Naeun! Naeun, what’s wrong?!”

“Taemin, the flashlight died!” Naeun stammered, close to tears.

What?! Why don’t they check the damn battery of those things?!” Taemin groaned. “Naeun-ah, wait for me, okay? I’ll find a way!”

“Taemin, I can’t see anything. I - aaAaaaAAAHHHHHHH!!!” Naeun shrieked as her foot slipped over the edge of an unseen slope and she tumbled over the dirt.

“Naeun? Naeun?!” Taemin’s voice became static as Naeun landed at the bottom of whatever she’d fallen into. She whimpered and turned around, feeling the cold ground for the walkie-talkie. Her hand found it, as well as her paper, and she pressed the button. It was just static; she'd damaged it. Perfect.

Naeun curled up into a ball and tried to control her breathing. She felt tears fall from her eyes, and her ankle was throbbing impossibly hard.

“Taemin oppa,” she sobbed quietly, rocking back and forth and squeezing her eyes shut. Her breaths were growing short, and her vision was beginning to spin from the impact of the fall. After a while, sitting and crying in the cold winds, she heard something.

Suddenly, she recognized someone calling her name frantically, then arms scooped her up.

“Naeun?! Naeun, say something! What’s wrong with you?!”

That voice . . .

Wasn’t Taemin's.

Kai ~

Wow, this was boring.

“Kai! Hyung is turning right now, okay~?” Chanyeol sang into the walkie-talkie.

“Whatever. Quit talking in third person,” Kai sighed, crumpling his paper that was supposed to be his instructions.

“But hyung is your fan~!” Chanyeol continued. Kai rolled his eyes and stopped. “Kai~! Did you get to the sign? It says if I turn right I can merge with you at the end of the trail! We might get first place, right?”

“Mm,” Kai mumbled into the speaker, but he was staring at the sign. What number was Naeun at again? 6? Kai smirked. If he turned right, then he would merge with her trail. “I’m going right, okay, hyung?”

“Huh? But that means you’re going the opposite-”

“Nope!” Kai in, grinning as he swerved right. “I’m pretty sure I’m going the right way.” He swung his flashlight around, viewing his surroundings. Hmm. Trees and dirt, mostly. There was a ditch right there with . . . a body?! Kai ran forward, and as he got closer, he heard someone sobbing.

Was that . . .

“Naeun?!” he shouted, sliding down into the ditch and rushing forward. He ignored Chanyeol, who was trying to reach him, and turned off the walkie-talkie. “Naeun, say something!” Her eyes were squeezed shut, and she looked as if she were about to faint; she was breathing hard, and her face was pale. “What’s wrong with you?!”

Without hesitation, Kai picked her up bridal style and started to struggle to get out of the ditch. As soon as he got out, he shook her.

“O . . . ow,” Naeun whispered, her head falling back against his arm.

“N-Naeun?” Kai had never heard himself stammer before. “Where does it hurt?”

“M-my ankle,” she whimpered. “T-Taem . . . no. Nevermind.” Her breathing slowed, and then she fainted. Kai stopped walking, staring at the awkward way his flashlight shined when he tried to hold it while carrying Naeun. Had she tried to say Taemin? He looked down at her and then slowed his pace. He wanted to lengthen his time with her, if just a bit.

“Naeun?! Naeun!” he heard another person shout.

Damn it. They were so close to the end. Taemin ran forward and jerked Naeun away from Kai. She hissed in pain and bit her lip.

“Naeun-ah? I’m sorry. Are you okay?” Taemin whispered. He glared up at Kai. “Partners are supposed to end this together. Go find your own. Kai stared as Taemin began to jog lightly to the finish line. He stared after them, feeling a mixture of anger and depression. Had he, a Dark angel, just willingly saved a human?

He thought about what Taemin had said. His partner . . . ? Oh.

Chanyeol~

“Kai! Hyung is cold~” Chanyeol complained to no one in particular. He was standing alone in the middle of the fork in the path. They were supposed to meet at this very stop and walk to the finish line together. Where was he?! “KAAAAIIIIIIIII~~~”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

So one of the readers was confused about what Kai's "theory" was in the previous chapter. He was questioning if he liked her. Sorry if it wasn't clear!

Chanyeol is my "worst best friend's" ultimate bias, so I had to put him in there for her.

mwuahahAHAHAHAHA.

Saranghae, eunnie <3

channie laugh and sorry

Hehe, Naeun was saved from the dark by a Dark angel . . .

This camping trip was sort of inspired by Minho's drama with Sulli, To the Beautiful You.

Maybe I should have mentioned them in here.

Ah, well.

minsul

Here they is.

So my manager and CEO just subscribed (inside joke), so annyeong, eunnies!

taemin aegyo

(That is literally how derp I look when I attempt to aegyo)

I don't have very interesting stories today. Sowwy.

annyeonghaseyo, readers!

Bye, readers!

-pannashawol