Chapter Six

Wrong-way Romance

 

Third period, a study hall, passed by uneventfully, but when I walked into what should have been my fourth period chemistry class and found roomful of typewriters, I knew I was lost. I checked the room number listed on my class schedule and then looked up at the number over the typing room door. The numbers were the same, which meant I was probably in the wrong building. I went outside and found myself standing in the middle of a cluster of red brick buildings that all looked exactly alike.

“Are you lost, Yoseob?” an amused voice asked.

For a minute I thought it was Junhyung who had spoken and I wheeled around sharply to defend myself. To my relief, it wasn’t Junhyung who was standing there, but Doojoon.

“Doojoon! Am I glad to see you! I can’t find my chemistry class. I can’t even find the right building.” I admitted.

“Come on. I’ll take you there,” Doojoon answered, gesturing toward one of the identical buildings.

“Thanks a lot, Doojoon. I owe you one.” I said gratefully as he piloted me through the door.

The late bell hadn’t rung yet, but the room was already full. Glancing around, I saw only two vacant desks. One was at the far side of the room, behind a good looking person I had never seen before. The other desk was right in front of- who else?- Yong Junhyung. I hesitated only for a minute. I really had no choice. I walked quickly past Junhyung and sat down behind the handsome stranger.

Before I’d even gotten settled, the person in front of me turned around. “Do you have a pencil I can borrow?” he asked.

“Sure.” I fished a pencil out of my bag and gave it to him, along with my most dazzling aegyo.

“Well, hello, cutie,” he said, looking me up and down. “What’s your name?”

“Yoseob. Yang Yoseob.” I was beginning to wish I had toned down my aegyo a little bit. This person was laying it in pretty thick.

“I’m Lee Joon,” he was saying. “I don’t think I’ve seen you around school before, Yoseob. I wouldn’t forget a face like that.”

“You haven’t. I’m new this year.”

“Welcome. I have a feeling we’re going to be real good friends.” His fingers caressed mine as he returned my pencil, and I had a feeling it was intentional. I decided that I definitely didn’t want to be his “real good friend” and I almost wished I’d taken the other empty seat. Almost but not quite.

I spent the next few minutes parrying come-ons from Lee Joon while I tried to listen what the teacher was saying. I was relieved when the bell rang. I made a dash for the door, not quite sure if I was running away from Junhyung or Joon. Maybe both of them. When I reached my locker, I found Woonie and Doojoon already there.

“Have you been finding your way around okay, Hyung?” Dongwoon asked.

“Fine. Thanks to Doojoon,” I answered. “I got lost on my way to chemistry, but Doojoon rescued me. What class do you have next?”

Dongwoon consulted his class schedule.

“English, with Mrs. Son. What about you?”

“Me, too. Great! I was afraid we weren’t going to have any class together.”

Doojoon walked us both to class. As soon as he left us, I turned to Woonie.

“What do you know about Lee Joon?”

He groaned. “Oh, no. Has he spotted you already?”

“We’re in the same chemistry class. In fact, I sat right behind him. I thought he was pretty good looking.”

“Oh, he is,” Dongwoon agreed. “And he knows it, too. Joon thinks he’s the answer to every person’s prayers. But as soon as he gets you, he turns into a human squid.”

“A what?”

“A human squid. You know, with eight arms.”

“Squids have ten arms. You’re thinking of an octopus. Remember your biology?”

“Forget biology! I’m trying to warn you. Lee Joon is almost certain to ask you out and if he does, take my advice- don’t go. But you’d better have a good excuse ready. He doesn’t take no for an answer.”

Thirty minutes later the last bell rang and my first day at my new school was over. And what a day it had been! Already I’d gotten lost, been rescued, picked up an unwanted admirer and been harassed by Yong Junhyung every step of the way. If all this had happened in only half a day, what in the world would happen on a full day?