Chapter Eleven

Wrong-way Romance

 

 “It’s really very simple,” Junhyung explained as we walked, arm in arm, down the hall. “To keep Joon from bugging you, all we have to do is hang around together between classes and give each other stupid looks-like this.” He looked down at me with a soulful expression in his beautiful eyes. Wait. Did I say beautiful eyes? No, change that to his eyes. His eyes.

 I wrinkled my nose in distaste. “Do we really have to?”

 Junhyung’s face assumed a more normal look. “Don’t worry, Yoseob. When it comes to looking stupid, you’ll be natural.” I opened my mouth to protest, but Junhyung’s next words drove any insults from my mind. “It’ll only be for a couple of months, and then-“

 I couldn’t believe my ears. “A couple of months! There’s no way I’m going to hang around with you for that long!”

“Okay. Take these,” Junhyung said, shoving my books back at me.

“Where are you going?”

“To congratulate Joon. He just got himself a cutie.”

I grabbed his sleeve. “Wait! Wait! Okay. If it’ll turn Joon off, I’ll do it, but not for two months. One month and that’s it!”

“Let’s split the difference and say six weeks.”

“How about five?” I suggested hopefully.

Junhyung shook his head. “No, I think it’ll take old Joon at least six weeks to get over you, especially after the way you came on to the person in chemistry.”

“After the way I what?”

“Came on to him. You did, you know.” Junhyung said self-righteously.

I was furious, but he wasn’t totally wrong. I had showed Joon an aegyo on the first day of school. But that, too, had been all Junhyung’s fault. “Well, it’s really none of your business,” I said to him.

Junhyung smirked. “It is now. You made it my business when you came on to me. You should be grateful to me for helping you out. There are plenty of people who’d be glad to go out with me over the next six weeks, you know.”

“Really?” I asked in mock surprise. “I guess it takes all kinds to make a world.”

“Face it, Yoseob,” Junhyung said. “You’ve backed yourself into a corner and I’m the only one who can get you out of it. It’s me or Joon. Take your choice.”

I snorted. “Some choice-the lesser of the two evils! What makes you think I’d rather have you?”

Junhyung shrugged. “Oh, I don’t know. When a person literally throws himself at me, I just get that impression.”

“Don’t get too puffed up about it. I was desperate,” I told him. “I’m still recovering from that hug you gave me.”

“Listen, you were no prize yourself,” Junhyung shot back, but his eyes danced.

“Funny, nobody’s ever complained before,” I couldn’t resist saying.

“They probably didn’t want to hurt your feelings.”

“Jinwoon didn’t care much about my feelings,” I said bitterly before I could stop myself.

“Jinwoon again, huh? Whatever happened to this guy, anyway?”

“He’s finished. Out of the picture. History. “

Junhyung pretended to look horrified. “Yoseob! You murdered him?”

“No, silly,” I said. I couldn’t help laughing. “But I seriously am thinking about it last spring.”

“Whew! Maybe I’d better rethink my plans for the next six weeks.”

“Are you pulling out on me?” I asked, not quite sure how I felt about the idea.

Junhyung smirked. “No way! I like to live dangerously.”

“I know you do-I’ve seen you drive,” I said dryly, thinking triumphantly, One goal for the home team. “So where do we start?”

“Chemistry,” Junhyung said promptly. “We’re going to have to start sitting together in class. I guess we’ll have to be lab partners, too.”

“What else do we have to do?” I asked.

“You should come to all the football games. Everybody will see you there and assume you came to watch me. Dongwoon always comes to watch Doojoon, so you’d have somebody to sit with. Well, catch you later. I’ve got football practice. I have to go change.”

“Any change is bound to be an improvement!” I yelled after him as he walked away.

How I hated him! He was the most insufferable human being I had ever had the misfortune to meet-and for the next six weeks, he was all mine.

 

Sorry for those who are waiting. :)) I'll promise I'll post two updates today. :)

And please do comment. 

zyra_summer, my new friend. Hi-yeom. :)

To my subscribers, Hi-yeom.