Chapter Twelve

Wrong-way Romance

 

  “Hyung, I hate to be the bearer of bad news,” Dongwoon began hesitantly, “but there’s something going on that I think you should know about and I’d rather you heard it from me than from somebody else,”

It was Friday night and Woonie and I were on our way to the first football game of the season. Dongwoon had seemed a little preoccupied ever since he picked me up at my house. Now I was about to find out why.

“What’s wrong, Woonie?” I asked. “I haven’t seen you this keyed up since that awful blind date.”

“It’s funny you should mention that,” he said, looking anything but amused. “Because it concerns you and Junhyung.”

“Me and Junhyung? Woonie, what are you talking about?” Actually, I had a pretty good idea of what he was talking about, but I decided to make him sweat a little bit.

“Hyung, I don’t know how it happened. I swear I didn’t have anything to do with it.” He hesitated, then plunged in. “You won’t believe the rumors that are going around school about you and Junhyung!”

“Oh, those,” I said calmly.

“You mean you know about them?”

“Of course I know about them. Who do you think started them in the first place?”

The expression on Dongwoon’s face was priceless. “You started them? What on earth possessed you to do such a thing?”

I sighed. “Ask Lee Joon. No, on second thought, don’t ask him.”

Dongwoon looked bewildered. “Joon? What does he have to do with this? I can’t imagine what Junhyung will say when he finds out that you-“

“Oh, he knows. In fact, I couldn’t have done it without him,” I added.

“What? Junhyung helped you? I am so confused!” Dongwoon wailed. “Hyung, will you stop talking in circles and tell me what’s going on?”

I stopped teasing him. “Okay, You remember your advice to me about Joon? You said that he was going to ask me out and I’d better have a good excuse ready. Well, he asked me out and I told him I couldn’t because I was dating Junhyung. It was the first name I could think of.”

“I think I’m losing my mind!” was Dongwoon’s stunned reply.

“Anyway, it isn’t completely a lie, thanks to you and your blind date scheme. Junhyung walked me to class so Joon would believe me. And he’s been doing it ever since.”

By this time Dongwoon had absorbed just enough of the story to send him into raptures. “Oh, Hyung!” he exclaimed, “I knew you and Junhyung would be perfect for each other! I just knew it!”

“Don’t get carried away, Woonie.” I warned him. “There’s nothing going on between us. It’s a business arrangement, that’s all. We’ll pretend to go together for six weeks-well, five weeks and six days, to be exact, since we started yesterday. That’ll give Joon a plenty of time to get over me and then Junhyung and I will go back to hating each other, just like before. Nothing could be simpler.”

“Hmmm…” Dongwoon sounded dubious.

I narrowed my eyes. “What do you mean, ‘hmmm’?”

“Did it ever occur to you that things might not work out exactly the way you planned?”

“And what does it suppose to mean?” I asked.

“Only that Junhyung is awfully good-looking and if you’re with him constantly-“

“Forget it!” I shouted. “I have no intention of falling for Junhyung, if that’s what you’re hinting at. I’ve got other plans for the next six weeks.”

“Such as?”

“Such as, this business with Junhyung gives me the perfect opportunity to meet new people. Then by the time I ‘break up’ with Junhyung, I’ll know lots of people and they’ll know me.”

Dongwoon looked skeptical. “And what if Joon starts pestering you again?”

“I’ll think of something,” I said firmly.

We arrived at the stadium just in time to see the football players finishing their warm-up exercises. It wasn’t too difficult to find Junhyung. The number fifty-six was emblazoned in white on his green jersey.

“Well, Hyung, there’s your main man.” Dongwoon said, grinning wickedly.

I opened the football program I had bought at the gate and spent the time before kick-off flipping through it, looking at pictures of people I had met during my one and a half weeks at my new school.

“Looking for anyone in particular?” Dongwoon asked pointedly.

“Just investigating,” I answered, ignoring his implication that I was looking for Junhyung’s picture. “I told you, I’m planning to meet plenty of people in the next six weeks. I’m just seeing if any of Junhyung’s team mates are worth checking into.”

“I thought you said you were through with jocks because they were all Jinwoon,” Dongwoon reminded me.

“I did. But I’m still hoping there’s an exception to the rule.”

“There is. His name is Yong Junhyung.”

I sighed. “You don’t give up easily, do you, Woonie?”

“No, I don’t. Especially when I know I’m right.”

At that moment, I just happened to come across Junhyung’s picture. “Well,” I told my cousin, “if I’m supposed to be his boyfriend for the next six weeks, I guess I’d better learn something about the guy.”

Dongwoon nodded knowingly.

“Let’s see. I think his boyfriend would be expected to know that he’s a senior, he plays midfielder, he wears number fifty-six, he’s one hundred and seventy eight tall, and he weighs sixty four kilograms,” I said, reading aloud from the program.

“Congratulations! You’ve just met Junhyung. Already you know more about him than I know about Doojoon after going steady with him for almost four months. Give me that program.”

“What for?” I asked, handling it over.

“I’m going to do a little research of my own.” Dongwoon turned a few pages, then was seized by a fit of giggles. “Oh, Hyung, look at this picture of Doojoon! He’s trying so hard to look tough and instead he looks like he’s pouting. Why do football players scowl like that? Somebody should tell them how silly it looks.”

“Well, I guess it’s hard to be tough with a name like Doojoon. Look, Woonie, it’s almost time for kick-off.”

I’ve always like football and I know enough about the game to recognize talent when I see it. Junhyung seemed to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time, I was forced to admit that he was good.

“Show off,” I grumbled.

I soon discovered that Dongwoon came to watch Doojoon exclusively. While he was on the field, his eyes were glued to the game. As soon as he headed for bench, Woonie promptly lost interest and began ripping by program.

“What are you doing?” I asked, staring at the mangled pages.

“I’m tearing out Junhyung’s picture for you,” he explained. “You can tape it to the inside of our locker door, next to Doojoon’s.

“Why would I want to see Junhyung’s face every time I open our locker?” I asked.

“Because he’s supposed to be your boyfriend, remember? Besides, look how tough he is! He’s doing a better job than Doojoon.”

“Oh, great,” I muttered. “Just what I need, a tough football player scowling at me every time I open my locker.”

“Hmmm…” Dongwoon said again.

“I wish you’d quit doing that!” I cried. “I’ve told you a dozen times, there is nothing going on between me and Junhyung.”

“Oh, I believe you,” he said, smiling. “There is nothing going on between you and Junhyung-yet.”

“Ever. It ought to be obvious to you by now that we hate each other.”

“Hate is not the opposite of love,” Dongwoon declared very solemnly. “Indifference is the opposite of love. I read that somewhere. If you hate somebody, you feel strongly about him, even if it’s in a negative way. If you’re indifferent, you don’t care one way or the other.”

“Oh, brother.” I groaned.

“Besides, you and Junhyung look so cute together,” Dongwoon continued.

“We do not. We’re totally mismatched.”

 

Yey! I finished chapter twelve. I am so happy. I was so nervous that I won't be able to keep my promise.

Anyway, here it is. Tell me if something is not good about the story, okay, my dear subscribers and viewers.

Yoseob, your excuses are so lame. Hihihi. 

Hope you like it guys. :)

Saranghae. <3