Chapter Twenty Five

Wrong-way Romance

 

I pinned on a bright, false smile. “So tell me about him,” I said.

Junhyung looked puzzled. “Who?”

Was he still playing games? As patiently as I could, I said, “The person you were telling Doojoon about on Monday. Was he pretty?”

“Very,” he answered as he curiously looked at me.

“What’s he like? Do I know him?”

“I think you do,” his curiosity now giving away to amusement. “He’s a bad tempered brunette with a terrible habit of jumping to conclusions and a real knack for causing trouble. I haven’t had a minute’s peace in two months because of that person.”

My eyes flew wide open. Junhyung was making fun of me! He probably thought it was the best way to get back at me for all the trouble I had caused him. I had never felt so humiliated in my life.

“I wish I had slammed the door in your face tonight!” I cried, choking back a sob. “I wish I’d never met you!”

I turned and ran as fast as I could, away from Junhyung and the mocking romantic moon. Junhyung called out to me, but I didn’t even slow down. I stumbled on, blinded by tears, not knowing or caring where I was going.

I didn’t realize he was following me until I felt his hand on my shoulder. He spun me around and looked at me for a second. Then he crushed me in his arms, and kissed me over and over again. I returned his kisses feverishly. I didn’t understand anything except the one thing that mattered. My eleventh hour miracle had come through!

At last Junhyung set me back on my feet and looked at me with an expression in his beautiful eyes that made me feel dizzy. “Did you really think I would just let you go at the end of six weeks without even putting up a fight? I love you, Yoseob! Don’t you know that by now?”

“But I thought-I heard-you said-“ I was suddenly unable to put together a coherent sentence.

“What did I say?”

“You told Doojoon you couldn’t wait until we broke up so you could go out with another person.”

“I never said that!” Junhyung protested, his eyes wide with surprise.

“You did! The two of you were in the parking lot. I heard every word you said!”

“That’s what you get for eavesdropping.” Junhyung retorted. He dropped a light kiss on the top of my head. “Yoseob, you dope, I was talking about you! You got under my skin the day we met, and I just couldn’t forget you. Then the day you hit me with that book, I knew what I was feeling had to be either true love or a spinal injury.”

“Oh, Junhyung, I’m sorry about that!” I said, burying my face in his chest.

Junhyung ran his fingers to my hair, tipping my face up to his. “I’m not sorry at all. That’s when I knew I’d never find another like you.”

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. “Then why you didn’t say so, instead of letting me think you hated me?”

“Are you kidding me? I couldn’t have gotten off to a worse start if I’d tried, thanks to that accident. When you threw your arms around me that day in the hall, I saw an opportunity, so I grabbed it.”

“Junhyung!” I giggled. “You took unfair advantage of desperate situation!”

Junhyung smirked. “Sorry. It was too good to resist.”

“So that’s why you went along with everything. And I thought-“ I broke off abruptly.

“You thought what?”

“I thought you were only being nice to me so I would owe you a favor and I’d feel obligated to pay for having your bumper fixed. And Junhyung! Stop laughing!”

“I’m sorry,” said Junhyung, still convulsed with laughter. “I just can’t imagine you feeling that obligated to anybody, least of all me.”

I folded my arms and tried very hard to look angry. “Any time you’re ready, you can explain why you told Doojoon you wouldn’t ask me out until the six weeks were over.”

“Because if you accepted, I would never have known if you really cared about me or if it was just part of the act.” He touched my cheek. “But it’s not an act anymore, is it?”

“It hasn’t been an act for some time now,” I confessed. “I just wouldn’t admit it to myself until last Friday night, when I thought you were hurt. I never meant to fall in love with you. In fact, I was determined not to.” Junhyung tried to draw me back into his arms, but I held him off. “There’s still one thing I don’t understand. If were through fighting, who won?”

He threw back his head and laughed again. “I’m not sure, but if this is the agony of defeat. I think I could get used to it. Yoseob, will you wait for me after the game tomorrow night? Maybe we could have a real date.”

“I’d love too.”

He put his arms around me, but at that moment someone whistled at us from the crest of the lawn, and we realized we were no longer alone.

“Hey, mean man, you’re going to be called for holding if you’re not careful,” Kikwang called.

“Get lost, Kikwang, or it’ll be more like unnecessary roughness,” Junhyung answered. “Can’t you tell you’re not wanted?”

“Oh, I get it,” Kikwang continued, strolling across the lawn toward us. “Pass interference. You’re making a pass at Yoseob, and I’m interfering.”

Junhyung smirked. “You got it.”

“Ignore him, Kikwang.” I said, still in the circle of Junhyung’s arms. “Did you ask Hyunseung to the dance?”

“I sure did,” Kikwang said.

“And?” I prompted.

“And you were right. I came to thank you for your help, but it looks like you’ve got other things on your mind, so I’ll be on my way. By the way, does this mean I won’t have to bite Junhyung on the ankle after all?”

“No, I don’t think that will be necessary.” I said demurely.

“Bite me on the ankle?” Junhyung echoed as we watched Kikwang walk across the lawn. “And what did he mean about thanking you your help?”

“I’ll explain later. I sort of fixed Kikwang and Hyunseung for the dance.”

“Hmmm.” Junhyung looked down at me. “I don’t have a date for the dance myself. Got any suggestions?”

“Six weeks ago you said there were plenty you could date at,” I teased.

“I don’t want to date plenty of people! One will be enough, as long as it’s you. Now, if you don’t mind, I have a pass to complete.”

As we kissed, I couldn’t help thinking that Junhyung would have made a wonderful midfielder!

 

WEE. I already finished my first fanfic in my entire life. :) I'm sorry if you don't like the ending. I kinda can't think of any way to end this. :) Please appreciate it. Thank you really. Please wait for my next fanfic. :) And to those who are asking it's JUNSEOB fanfic. :)

Saranghae. <3