Chapter Twenty One

Wrong-way Romance

 

The end of second half is near, Jeju led Seoul, 6 to 2. I was sure Jinwoon had no more doubts about Junhyung’s ability. But the almost possessive pride I’d felt in Junhyung’s performance was gone. After all, I kept reminding myself, he’s nothing to me. Our dating was all an act, not a real romance. Dongwoon’s suspicions were right. I had been playing my part too well.

Then Junhyung blocked Jinwoon’s attempt to goal again, but this time Junhyung lay on the field and didn’t get up. I leaped to my feet and held my breath as I watched him writhing in pain. There was a loud buzzing sound in my ears, and all of a sudden I felt dizzy.

“He’s tough, Yoseob. He’ll be okay.” Kikwang reassured me, but I wasn’t convinced. If he was all right, why wasn’t he getting up?

At last two of Junhyung’s team mates helped him to his feet. When he hobbled off the field, I was so relieved that I burst into tears.

“Go down and see him, Yoseob,” Hyunseung suggested. “It’ll make you feel better.”

“You won’t tell him I cried, will you?” I asked, drying my eyes with the handkerchief Kikwang offered. I felt that this was a reasonable request for an injured football player’s boyfriend to make. “He-he’d think I was being silly.”

“Of course we won’t tell,” Dongwoon said. “Now, go make sure he’s okay and then come back and tell us what happened.”

I made my way down the bleachers, glad to get away from the gang for a few minutes. I needed time to get control of myself. My emotions were in an uproar. From the moment I saw Junhyung hurt, I knew that somehow, in spite of myself, I had fallen in love with him. I had been so determined to despise him, too. It was true that he could be stubborn and overbearing, but I’d discovered that he was also sensitive and funny and sweet. I loved him for all those things. How, I asked myself fiercely, did I ever let myself get into such a mess?

Arriving at the low fence that separated the stands from the football field, I found Junhyung sitting hunched over on the bench with his back to me. I almost called out to him, but then hesitated. What am I doing here, anyway? I wondered. He isn’t really my boyfriend. I spotted Doojoon standing on the sidelines, so I called him instead.

Doojoon turned at the sound of his name, “Hi, Yoseob. What’s the matter?”

“Is Junhyung okay?” I asked breathlessly.                                                                              

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?” He turned back to the bench. “Hey, Junhyung, you’ve got company!”

I wasn’t ready to face Junhyung, not yet. “No, Doojoon,” I murmured. “That’s okay. I’ll just-“

It was too late. Junhyung turned and saw me. He rose and walked slowly over to the fence.

Junhyung was filthy. He was covered with dirt and sweat, and I was sure I never seen anyone so beautiful in my entire life.

“I’m sorry to bother you,” I said, suddenly feeling shy.

He smirked at me. “You’re no bother.”

Trying to keep the conversation light, I said. “I see you met Jinwoon.”

“Yeah,” He sounded so sick.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Just got cramps, that’s all.”

“I’m glad. I’d feel awful if you got hurt doing what I asked you to do.”

“See?” Junhyung smirked again, underneath the dirt. “I told you I get in trouble every time I do you a favor.”

“Hey, Junhyung!” someone called. “You’re in!”

“Gotta go,” he said, and winked at me before he trotted back onto the field.

JNHS went on to win the game, 10 to 2. I couldn’t enjoy the victory. I was too wrapped up in my personal problems. Now that I knew I loved Junhyung. I couldn’t think about anything else. Was there even the tiniest possibility that he loved me, too? The idea was so ridiculous that I might have laughed if I hadn’t been so unhappy. Not likely! I thought. How could he love a person who had caused him nothing but trouble from the first time he met him?

 

Hi Guys! Sorry for late update. I just want you to know that "Wrong-way Romance" is ending. Aww. But for sure I have a new project after this. So I hope you still stick to me till the end. Okay? Know what guys, I have a new story in my mind. And it is... Haha. Secret. It is still undecided. Anyways, I hope you like this. And if I am not mistaken, the ending could be this week or... I am not sure. :)

To my subscribers, friends and silent readers, this is for you guys. :) 

Please do comment. :)